Ellerman ship photos - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
13:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ellerman ship photos

User Tag List

Old 24th August 2008, 19:25

mv catanian photo

hi baily,i am try to get photo of the mv catanian iwas in this ship in 1962 can you help
Old 24th August 2008, 19:47

Sailed on the Anglian two trips as sos 28 6 56 to22 9 56 4 on 4 off kept a watch as well as doing the peggies work knackered all the time,6 week trips around the Medi,Capt was S.M.THRELBELD I think ive got his name right left her to get my e.d.h. Did a round the land job on the City of Khartoum 24 3 59had my 21st on her in Tylbury dock Indian cooks worst curry makers ive ever come across,night of my 21st had ten bob in my pocket but thanks to a lovely lady I never even spent that, where ever she is God bless her.
Old 24th August 2008, 20:01

Hello there,

I still have small sized photographs I took with a Brownie 127 of the City of Lyons lying in the breakers-yard at Bo'ness. This nust have been round-about 1959-1960. Soon as I get my hands on a scanner I'll get them to you. Good luck with your mission.
Old 24th August 2008, 20:05

I mentioned to baileybloke, I've got a couple of photos of the City of Lyons lying at P & W McLellands shipbreaking yard at Bo'ness shortly after she was beached there. Hoping to get those and the rest of my photographs on-site once I get my hands on a scanner. Cheers.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:16

Thanks for all the recent messages and requests for photos. I will contact everyone individually at the weekend. Until then.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:27

The start of a career

Here ya'go, Bailey, a test for you:

City of Toronto (1973 - 29 derricks!)
City of Canterbury (Fridge ship)
City of Worcester
Dilkara
City of Genoa
City of Montreal
City of St. Albans
City of Glasgow
City Of Auckland
City of Winchester (1977)
City of York

I can't decide whether it's a sad bunch or, compared to a cadet starting today, some good reasons to stay at sea for a career.
Old 11th September 2008, 07:30

No problem Wassenaar. I'll PM you at the weekend. I did a Canada/India run on the Toronto as deck cadet and a couple of stints on the Auckland as cadet and third mate. Good times on the Auckland when Commodore Tommy Rigg got married to Beth. Always remember Amazing Grace blaring out of the ships speakers as we sailed from Durban. Catch you soon.
Old 11th September 2008, 14:07

I heard that story about "Amazing Grace", but had forgotten it. I'm glad that it was true. I loved the Auckland, my favourite ship of all, I think.
Old 8th November 2008, 14:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1960 - 1967

Lightbulb Help!

Hi baileybloke, I am really hoping you can help me out, my dad was with Ellermans way back in the day (1955-70ish) and I have heard many of his stories about life on the seas. I am hoping you may have a picture (s) of some of the ships that he has sailed on these being the C o Hereford, Ottowa and Sydney. this is a bit of a shot in the dark and I'm sorry that i don't know anything more specific about these vessels. Also if you or any of the other members can assist me in locating info / copies of ships crew lists, route logs (again i'm afriad i don't know the proper terminology for these things- forgive me) ect I would be eternally grateful. I lookforward to hearing from you in due course and thanks in anticipation.
Old 8th November 2008, 14:52

My location
Welcome aboard Sea Sprite.
A search of the gallery might find some of the ships you're looking for or look at the Allen Collection here -
http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/
Enjoy the voyage.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:25

Hi Sea Sprite, welcome to SN. I can help you on both counts and I have PM'd you. Good to hear from you. Baileybloke
Old 9th November 2008, 21:10

My location
Hello Baileybloke, my Dad was sunk on the City of Athens 8th Oct 1942 (see photos on site), and was on the City of Corinth when she was torpedoed five weeks later on the 17th Nov 1942. A photo of both would be very much appreciated if you have any.
Old 11th November 2008, 11:12
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Electrician
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
Welcome aboard Sea Sprite.
A search of the gallery might find some of the ships you're looking for or look at the Allen Collection here -
http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/
Enjoy the voyage.
Hugh Thanks Marconi Sahib

Big Thanks Allen Collection

found great Photo of my Dad's rescue ship Corinthian
Old 9th December 2008, 15:16

I know this is cheating but can I just say thank you to all those of you who have sent your best wishes. I suffered a minor stroke and am off work for a little while but I am alive and kicking and a whole lot better than I was. Glad to be here. Happy Christmas shipmates, Baileybloke.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:09

Hi Baileybloke

I have just come across your thread and sorry to hear about your misfortune but just to give you confidence, I had a Heart attack 15 years ago and there definately is "Life after" as long as you think positively. Don't let the Bar Stewards wear you down.

I am also writing with the forlorn hope that you have pics of a couple of early Wilson ships. The are as follows:

Truro (2) 974grt/1922
Torpedo 418grt/1885

Thanks in advance

NigelC
Old 9th December 2008, 17:31

Hi Nigel, thanks for the good news. I am making good progress thanks. I think I can help you on both counts. I will check my database on my laptop and get back to you. Cheers, Ian
Old 9th December 2008, 17:51

Nigel, my brain is obviously still playing up. The answer is no on both fronts. I think this is the first time I have totally let someone down. Sorry to fail you. Ian
Old 9th December 2008, 18:52
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Ian,

Am very sorry to hear of your problems but glad to hear that you are making a recovery. Unfortunately progress is often slow in such cases but you will continue to improve if you look after yourself. I'm afraid all-night lock-ins at the pub are a thing of the past for you!

Good luck

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 9th December 2008, 19:16

Hi Ian

Thanks for looking but I must say it was a long shot, you have to try every avenue though.

Hope you soon improve

Regards

Nigel
Old 10th December 2008, 06:37
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Electrician
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybloke View Post
I know this is cheating but can I just say thank you to all those of you who have sent your best wishes. I suffered a minor stroke and am off work for a little while but I am alive and kicking and a whole lot better than I was. Glad to be here. Happy Christmas shipmates, Baileybloke.
Baileybloke if this is cheating
you are well worth it
wish you all the best

SHIPMATE
ALL THE BEST MAY YOU HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS
Old 10th December 2008, 07:05
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1976

My location
Baileybloke,
I had been wondering about your recent absence.
My best wishes to you on your recouprestion and a very merry christmas back at you.
Cheers
Alex
Old 14th December 2008, 17:03

Hello Baileybloke,
I was a Nav Cadet with Ellermans from 1973 to 1975. I was on four ships, the Oxford, Glasgow, Canberra and Toronto. I would be most grateful if you could supply photos of any of these ships but especially the City of Toronto with her maple leaf Canadian Line funnell livery. I have only ever seen a photo of her with the black, white and buff colours.
All the best and a Merry Xmas
Dave Reynolds
Old 15th December 2008, 23:22

Hi Dave, I was a Nav Cadet on the 'Toronto from November 1972 to April 1973 on a CIP run and Third Mate very briefly on the 'Canberra in May 1974. The Toronto with her maple leaf livery is a rare sight but I will check out my database to see what I have. I've checked a couple of relevant Disposition of Sea-going Personnel and I have you showing as being on leave as at 5th August 1974 and at Glasgow College of Nautical Studies as at 7th February 1975. I'll get back to you. All the best, Ian
Old 16th December 2008, 06:45
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1976

My location
C/O Toronto

Hey guys,

I too sailed on her under the. 'Teredactyls footprint', Include me in the distribution list too please. If you find one.

Tks muchly,
Cheers
Alex
Old 16th December 2008, 21:43

Alex, I've just noticed you sailed with Chris Witt on the 'Bedford in December 71. Chris and I were at Plymouth School of Nav just a few months earlier along with Alan Smith. Chris kindly volunteered the information to my Mum and Dad that I had started smoking despite me threatening him with blue murder beforehand. It was good to know who your mates were!!!!