Uncle John and other Houlder Offshore Vessels - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Uncle John and other Houlder Offshore Vessels

User Tag List

Old 14th August 2008, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi Robbie.
Welcome aboard. I remember Murrey McCloud very well, in fact Night Cooks did not come much better than him. He trained quite a few of Houlder's young Galley Staff who did very well for themselves. Steve Morgan ended up as Chief Cook on the Shelf Driller(Explorer) then he retrained through Transocean as a roustabout and is now a Crane Op. on a gas platform off Yarmouth( The last time I was in touch).
Regards
PS Sorry to hear about Tommy, knew him in the early days on "Oregis"
Murrey McCloud went on to High Seas Driller as Chief Cook about 1984-5, worked with him as second cook. No one could make better scones than him. A real gent, and yes everyone went to him for baking advise.
Old 4th September 2008, 20:50

hi Dave how are you,still doing your Comwell thing?
Ye Cliff your right about the Liverpool thing hehe
Old 27th October 2008, 23:42

my husband works in K. UK and DUNDEE UK. his name is len lennox-gordon. he was a roughneck and h.l.o
anyone recognise his name?
cheers
Old 6th November 2008, 13:17

anyone knows canadian directional driller rick reid? any information? let me know please.
Old 29th April 2009, 00:13

Cyril Stainton's brother Bill is a good mate of mine and he told me that Cyril had to stop drinking or it would have killed him he still goes to the pub but drinks orange i think he retired from the north sea a few years ago
Old 4th June 2009, 10:42

Greetings all ex-UJ and Houlder guys. Yes I am still alive I found this place by accident. I left Stena/NMM in 2003 and I am presently employed as an HR Manager at a paper mill outside Aberdeen been here for 5yrs. I say presently as I the place is closing down with the loss of 400 or so jobs, so I will be in joining the ranks of the unemployed soon. For all those who remember me I hope your all doing in both health and wealth. I hear from cuddles (Alan Smith) now and then and the occasional email from a few others.

Take care.
Old 4th June 2009, 15:47
user

My location
George, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first two postings on here; do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage
Old 5th June 2009, 07:41

My location
Nice to see your still around George

I still remember the day I was interviewed by Margie at the office in Clydebank and you came down to see me 15 or so years ago and we talked about old mutual friends who were in Houlders previous deep sea fleet Thats when I ended up on the UJ until her lay up in Rosyth,before joining the Orelia for 7 years.You will find quite a few names who subscribe on here,ie Dave Meech,for one ..
Enjoy your browsing and hope if we have another reunion for the UJ we can meet up..
Geoff Johnson " rem clough" (G O M )
Old 5th June 2009, 09:09

Hi Geoff as you say there's a good few names I recognise from the past, Dave Meech was working on the Stena Spey when I was the manager at Stena Drilling. John Mac if you read this note I was there 2005 but only for the first night I took Willy Vermuelen down in my car. For those of you who may know Willy his son John was killed in an accident in Singapore on a Maersk rig earlier this year, he was a good kid worked for me at Stena for a while to. As for the rest of you reprobates I hope your all doing well!
Old 7th June 2009, 00:15

Hello there George,Bob Whittaker here ex Uncle John.Very sad news about John Vermuelen, I was on the Shelf Explorer (Driller) for some 4-5 years in 91-96 when he was onboard,a very pleasant and coscientious young bloke. Hope you are O.K. , might see you at the naxt U.J. reunion.whenever or wherever. Cheers, Bob Whittaker . P.S. Had a phone call off Joe Sharkey yesterday (5 June) and off to see the one and only J.H.Puckett in Brixham tomorrow.

Last edited by BOB.WHITTAKER; 7th June 2009 at 00:22.. Reason: additions
Old 7th June 2009, 06:53

My location
Nice to see your into the thick of things already George..On the Norman Macsween job I was still in regular contact with him until about a few weeks before he died it was strange for me as when I phoned him as usual after a trip his phone was disconnected and I never found out until I read on this site he had died..Another one I cannot get hold of is Big Danny Harrington,after sailing with him for 7 years on the "Orelia" and being with him on his day of retirement I have not been able to trace him as he moved from his last abode back into Swansea,and got himself a little job for Menzies delivering the newspapers I heard,then he was seen in Aberdeen wandering around the docks on a day out of recollection of his past etc ..That was Danny all over he could not stand being away from it all,hope if anyone reading this thread knows anything of him could enlighten me of his health and where abouts I would appreciate it..
Old 7th June 2009, 10:23

Hi Bob nice to hear from you send my regards to Jerry.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:26

Hi Geoff, I last spoke to Danny just after he retired I got his number from his ex-wife Carol but lost it. I will try to see if I can get a hold of her number again and see if I can get an update. As for Norman as I said a true gent. By the way I do remember chatting to you after your interview I cant remember the face but I do remember talking to you after Marge finished the interview. I hope the weathers better in the GOM cos its freezing here!!
Old 7th June 2009, 11:29

Hi Bob sorry about the short reply I was running around like a headless chicken. Anyway glad to see your alve and kicking can you pass on my regards to Johnny Cash aka Joe. As for John yes it was sad I talked to Willie and Johns wife not long after the accident she lives in Spain with their 2 boys.

Take care
Old 8th June 2009, 16:14

Good news I just talked to Danny Harrington he is alvie and kicking and doing very well thank you. Anyway I emailed his wife details of this site and hopefully Danny will work out how these dang computers work and drop you all a note.
Old 9th June 2009, 14:38

My location
Pleased to hear Dannys well George....If you search hard enough you will find a picture of him and the crew of the Oregis after the grounding off the Tyne Piers or that area on this site ..They tell me Simon Langley is out here in the Gulf you should remember him to,also I am in touch with Andy Smith crane operator if you remember him ?
Old 9th June 2009, 14:56

Hi Geoff, I remember both Simon and Andy more Simon though as we worked together for a few years when he first came in to the offshore game.

If you have any spare sun over there can you post some over? The world gets global warming and Scotland gets an ice age, typical!!!!!!
Old 10th June 2009, 22:29

I remember lennox from booth dkn and kuk a very quiete guy a good profesional roughneck new more than most drillers.

I hope your well.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:54

hi! george,
my husband was happy that you remembered his name. he said that he worked with lots of good guys. and few wasters.. he is doing fine. he enjoyed working in the rigs. he started on the oil business when he was 36 and finished when he was 46 and now he is 68.. still working!! he is married to a 30 yrs old and has a 2 yrs. and 10 month old boy.. he has a 42 yrs old daughter and 27 yrs. old son..
take care

Last edited by lennoxgordon; 14th June 2009 at 22:59..
Old 7th July 2009, 13:11

Hi Everyone.I joined the UJ in Oslo while she was being fitted out as Night Cook. Stayed until Nov 1980. Chief Cook was Gary Jones and I remember a lot of the names that were there at the beginning.
Old 7th July 2009, 13:15

Hi bazza I guess we must have worked on the UJ as I joined her in Peterhead in 77 and left in 85. Your name may jog the old memory? Leo Hannan is on here from time to time.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:17

I don't remember too many names but here are some. Mike Bollan.Dave Cheeseman,Danny Harrington, Lachlan McGuiness, it all seems so long ago now. I was on the Dundee Kingsnorth and the Oregis as well.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:23

Hi Dave, Don't know if you remember me Barry Wheaton. we were on the UJ together. Are you still doing the Sealed Knot thing?
Old 7th July 2009, 14:32

Hi bazza if you look around one of the Houlder posts has a photo of a UJ reunion in North Shields, Sam Angay is in the photo you may remember him. I talked to Danny Harrington a couple of weeks ago he is alive and well in Swansea and still working. I was 3 years on the DKN Northsea and West Africa Derek Brand was the OIM (ex-Oregis).
Old 8th July 2009, 10:44

While i was on the UJ i lived in swansea and Danny Harrington and Gary Jones [chief cook] and myself used to hire a car to travel from Swansea to Aberdeen on a regular basis.