What happened in 1986? - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
05:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What happened in 1986?

User Tag List

Old 8th August 2012, 22:43
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Yes, I think it was the Renown if my memory serves me well.
Derek and Kev,

Again for my record, an incident happened on the Rnown and more than one person lost their life?

Can you give me some idea if year and month if possible ,and what happened to whom?

I do not think I have ever heard of this incident before in any other reference.

Graham
Old 8th August 2012, 23:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1968 - 2009

If memory serves me correctly, It was the "Renown" 3 people died during a tank entry, one was a 3rd mate, one was a cadet and possibly the 3rd fatality was the mate? Cant remember exactly the date, but the incident was attributed to the BA sets not being positive pressure and one of the casualties had a beard. So after the incident BP replaced all their BA sets with positive pressure sets made by Chubb and if you had a beard you shouldn't wear one! the third casuality was also reported to have died when he saw the two in the bottom of the tank in trouble and he entered the tank to help without having a BA set on himself.
Old 8th August 2012, 23:10
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Thank you Graham ..

Yes, Andy Parsons was ex-Plymouth, we were at college together, it was a great shock at the time.

Andy Gibbon - I knew the name but not actually in person.
The names dont ring any bells with me, but I am rubbish at names and faces anyhow.

But I do recall that when we did our 2 week pre-sea induction course a Plymoth in Summer 1972, they told us that at least one of us would probably not be alive by the time the rest got their 2nd mates tickets. I think that did actually come true but I cant remember who or what circumstances. Sobering thought to a bunch of teenagers who naturally thought of ourselves as immortal.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:18
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
I think it was Andy Parsons who had the beard - and that report of the event rings a lot of bells so I guess most of it is true.
As for the year, possibly 1973 because I don't think Andy made it back to Plymouth for Phase 3.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:12
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1986

Steve's report is pretty much as I remember it.

I think it was later than 1973 as I didn't join my first ship with BP until November 1974, this incident happened whilst I was at sea.

Bob
Old 9th August 2012, 16:51

I was on the Renown shortly after this terrible incident occurred.
Two Nav cadets were working down one of the forward tanks on the air line BA System.
This was for those who cannot remember a trolley with BA bottles and an airline on a drum connected to a mask.
At the end of the line there was a provision to link another mask to the system.
Therefore you had two people down the tank working on the end of one airline.
The exact cause was never dis covered but it was believed that because the cadets were doing quite hard physical work the demand for air was exceeding what could be supplied and it was thought that possibly the cadet with the beard did not have a good seal on his mask due to the beard.
Subsequently one of the cadets collapsed, followed by the other.
The lookout positioned at the top of the tank saw what had happened and summoned the mate [c/o] by walkie talkie.
He "legged" it along the deck and donned a CABA set at the top of the tank and descended to the bottom of the tank.
On reaching the bottom he checked the two lads and made a decision to take off his set and put it on one of the cadets. He then made a run for it up the ladders but halfway up he was overcome by gas and fell back to the bottomk hitting a ladder on the way.
Both cadets and the mate died.
The subsequent investigation banned the use of the airline self contained system but this was subsequently lifted but was to be used by one person only.
I believe it happened around 1977.
Old 9th August 2012, 17:08
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Many thanks for that - it seems to be a rather unpublished event on the internet.
Old 9th August 2012, 17:59

Thanks Dave

Your recollection of the incident is far more accurate than mine understandbly and 1977 sounds right, As I didn't go 3/E untill then.
After the incident 3rd eng were given the responsibilty of maintaining the BA sets and I can remember commissioning a large No of the Chubb BA sets on the "Ranger". They also supplied a new trolley set also made by Chubb, which basically consisted of two bottles, an airline reel. It also could be connected to the ships compressed air system. The previous "Y" connectors we were instructed to throw over the Wall!
The incident also showed the the tank entry procedures were woefully inadequate and were drastically changed! A safety trolley had to be on the deck at any tank being entered. with extra BA sets, Lifelines etc. The smoke helmet operated by bellows were also scrapped. The bridge had to be informed by walkie-talkie of the time and No of personnel entering the tanks and the time they exited.

Last edited by stevekelly10; 9th August 2012 at 20:36..
Old 9th August 2012, 18:02

Just as an aside Airline breathing apparatus (ALBA) is still in use but and very importantly you do not share a line and it is connected to a full CABA set you are wearing.

The Smoke Helmet apparatus was not actually scrapped, believe it or not it was still a legal requirement to carry it up until a few years ago - never seen it used once.

Tank Entry procedures - still fatalities every year, most of which end up in 2 fatalities due to people diving in after there mate collapses - a very sobering stat for all you anti HSE peeps out there
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect

Last edited by Satanic Mechanic; 9th August 2012 at 18:06..
Old 9th August 2012, 20:16

After further thought on the Renown accident I believe it definately was 1977.
She was not delivered until sometime in 1974.

Dave
Old 18th September 2018, 09:58
Active: 1974 - Present

Belated response

Good Morning,

I started with BP Tankers in October 1974 and moved in to the North Sea on the Iolair in December 1983. Left her in March 1985, did a trip on the Resolution out off Brunei and went to Shields for my Masters in Sep 1985 so was at college in January 1986 when the axe fell.

Missed the 1800 news bulletin and was phoned by a colleague later in the evening who told me the news!

Eventually got through to somebody by phone and determined by redundancy package. The 3 months outstanding leave was all rolled up into it and I used the money to pay off the mortgage.

My next door neighbour was Chris Amos and I know he took the money and left and was also getting phone calls from at least on the agencies about going back.

Never heard anything from any of the agencies up until the time I left college, I wasn't even provided the details as I recall.

Worked for Uglands on the Highland Reel for 5 months and was at home twiddling my thumbs and considering whether to head ashore or stay at sea from September 1986 into December.

Had a call from Dave Tobin asking if I wanted to go back to the Iolair so I did In January 1986.

Basically BP were calling the shots but NMM were doing the day to day managing. I think those who had done the 20yrs and were over 40 who got the reduced pension and were working on the North Sea vessels probably had the best deal of all the people in the fleet at the time.

Moved from the Iolair to the Seillean in August 1988 and was there until December 1997. Did a couple of trips on the Orelia for Stena, but courtesy of Dave Tobin (again and for which thanks if you happen to read this ever) I got a job on BP's shuttle tanker Loch Rannoch from April 1998 - September 2003.

Bitter and twisted - yes and no. As I say I paid off my mortgage with the redundancy payment. I was fortunate in getting back into the North Sea rather than being in the deep sea fleet at the time.

My only real gripe iro BP Shipping is having a possible move to BPX as Marine Supervisor on the Schiehallion 'blocked'. I was Master on the Ranch at the time.

Still working at sea now as a freelance marine consultant.
Old 18th September 2018, 12:46

[QUOTE=linesrg;2946169]Good Morning,

I started with BP Tankers in October 1974 and moved in to the North Sea on the Iolair in December 1983. Left her in March 1985.

You must have been on the Iolair the same time as me then. Possibly on another shift though. I first joined her on 2/12/83 and left her on 30/4/85. I remember Dave Tobin as I had sailed with him previously when he was Mate on the British Ranger.
Old 18th September 2018, 13:21

Steve,

I do remember you, weren't you one of the early buyers of the quattro in the UK????

Regards

Richard
Old 18th September 2018, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesrg View Post
Steve,

I do remember you, weren't you one of the early buyers of the quattro in the UK????

Regards

Richard
Hi Richard

Yes that was me I thought your name was familiar. On my last trip on the Iolair I took the Quattro up to Aberdeen and parked it in the BP multi storey garage, at their headquarters in Dyce,whilst I was offshore. It was a good drive home after that

Regards

Steve
Old 18th September 2018, 13:48

Steve,

I bought a 20 valve in 1996, it's sat in the shed having been off the road for 10years now......

Regards

Richard
Old 18th September 2018, 13:54

Quote:
Steve,

I bought a 20 valve in 1996, it's sat in the shed having been off the road for 10years now......

Regards

Richard
You should restore it Richard and put it back on the road. They are worth a fortune now. Wish I had kept mine. I sold it when I got married, Big mistake, Bad swop

All the best

Steve
Old 18th September 2018, 18:13

Quote:
Good Morning,

I started with BP Tankers in October 1974 and moved in to the North Sea on the Iolair in December 1983. Left her in March 1985, did a trip on the Resolution out off Brunei and went to Shields for my Masters in Sep 1985 so was at college in January 1986 when the axe fell.

Missed the 1800 news bulletin and was phoned by a colleague later in the evening who told me the news!

Eventually got through to somebody by phone and determined by redundancy package. The 3 months outstanding leave was all rolled up into it and I used the money to pay off the mortgage.

My next door neighbour was Chris Amos and I know he took the money and left and was also getting phone calls from at least on the agencies about going back.

Never heard anything from any of the agencies up until the time I left college, I wasn't even provided the details as I recall.

Worked for Uglands on the Highland Reel for 5 months and was at home twiddling my thumbs and considering whether to head ashore or stay at sea from September 1986 into December.

Had a call from Dave Tobin asking if I wanted to go back to the Iolair so I did In January 1986.

Basically BP were calling the shots but NMM were doing the day to day managing. I think those who had done the 20yrs and were over 40 who got the reduced pension and were working on the North Sea vessels probably had the best deal of all the people in the fleet at the time.

Moved from the Iolair to the Seillean in August 1988 and was there until December 1997. Did a couple of trips on the Orelia for Stena, but courtesy of Dave Tobin (again and for which thanks if you happen to read this ever) I got a job on BP's shuttle tanker Loch Rannoch from April 1998 - September 2003.

Bitter and twisted - yes and no. As I say I paid off my mortgage with the redundancy payment. I was fortunate in getting back into the North Sea rather than being in the deep sea fleet at the time.

My only real gripe iro BP Shipping is having a possible move to BPX as Marine Supervisor on the Schiehallion 'blocked'. I was Master on the Ranch at the time.

Still working at sea now as a freelance marine consultant.
just a memory call. This incident tank diving was a hazard, and i think on the vlcc was greater, ifthe inspection hD to be done, without a total gas freeing procedure.
My resason for comment is person, on the vision in 1964/5 i was an enginner cadet and sailed with dave tobin a deck cadet and good fun. There wefe on this trip a tatal of 4 cadets. 2 eng-2deck of which dave was one.
Old 20th September 2018, 18:04

David,

Dave Tobin had quite a career with BP up to Master of Loch Rannock in 2000's

Graham
Old 20th September 2018, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
David,

Dave Tobin had quite a career with BP up to Master of Loch Rannock in 2000's

Graham
Sailed with him quite a few times Graham. He was one of the good guys, hope he still is !
Old 20th September 2018, 22:34

Dave Tobin

Good Evening All,

Dave Tobin retired in 2000 and I took over from him on the Rannoch. I think he may have done some ad hoc work for Trevor Hall after this but don't quote me.

Regards

Richard
Old 21st September 2018, 11:51

Footnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberth1 View Post
I was on leave from Success having taken her new from Belfast as C/E.
I got my redundancy notice watching the BBC 6 o'clock news at home.

This was the great idea of Fleet Personnel to save the company money, i.e. no longer would seafarers have access to the pension scheme or the share scheme and you would only be paid during the time on the ship.

The problem was there were three manning companies selected
AcoMarit, Dorchester Marine and Wallems you had no choice as to which one you got as they each had a number of ships and you got the manning company which had your ship and then you were stuck with that manning company.

Of course BP thought everything would remain the same forgetting that we the seafarers no longer actually worked for them, although they liked to think that we did.
What happened to me, went to the B. Respect, I still had kids at school so could not suddenly leave, then had to leave at Gib with kidney stone so lost my slot and was told I would have to stay at home for about 5 months ( no pay) until I could fit in again.

Went to China Nav (Swire Group) for their steam VLCC Eriskay and suddenly found that here was a company who actually stilll wanted to employ there own staff, paid more than Bp via the manning agents and dished out an annual bonus.

I feel that BP perpertrated the biggest con ever with the redundancies no consulation with staff, I had worked for them for 28 years since joining as a cadet in 1958 but apart from the rundancy which they had to pay as per GROUP policy, no recognition at all, Heaslip was the perpertrator of the idea and the story always was that he had not realised that all the GROUP terms would have to be met.
R. Hodgson
I knew Bob Hodgson from our time in BP. I next met him in a bar in Limassol, Cyprus where he was working for Unicom and I was a Super for a German Shipping Company. We would meet up from time to time until he retired.
Old 23rd September 2018, 17:26

John,

Bob Hodgson was a 1958 Engineering Apprentice, died Oct 2013.

Graham
Old 24th September 2018, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
John,

Bob Hodgson was a 1958 Engineering Apprentice, died Oct 2013.

Graham
Hi Graham,

Bob relieved me as 3/E on the Holly around 1966 and I also sailed with him on the aCygnet in 1970. He was first trip C/E and I was first trip 2/E. In 1999 I was at at my desk in Limassol when Bob came into our office for a meeting. We kept bumping into each over at various social occasions in Limassol until he retired. He then went back to the UK - as we did when I retired.
Old 25th September 2018, 16:20
Active: 1971 - 1986

I got my phone call from BP just as the 6pm news started with the BP House Flag on the TV screen. The big envelope landed on the doormat next morning. ISTR that some of the papers inside were dated November, so they had been planning this for a while.....
Old 25th September 2018, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormoran View Post
I got my phone call from BP just as the 6pm news started with the BP House Flag on the TV screen. The big envelope landed on the doormat next morning. ISTR that some of the papers inside were dated November, so they had been planning this for a while.....
I got a phone call the day before I was due to join British Tenacity and told not to bother going and if I wanted to know more look up page "so and so" on Ceefax !