outwardbound/prince louis memories - Ships Nostalgia
00:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

outwardbound/prince louis memories

User Tag List

Old 25th November 2009, 19:23

outwardbound/prince louis memories

i have tried for many years to find out what had happend to the prince louis so it was wonderful to find this page, i tried through the 'maratime festival' which we have at whitehaven. i attended the outward bound and sailed on the louis with if i remember correctly a commander McKenzie, this would have been about 1956-57 i have a photograph of my watch of that time. it was great to read of the history of the prince. my curiosity has now after all these years been satisfied.
Old 25th November 2009, 20:05
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
A warm welcome from Canada Andrew . Hope you find some old mates here .

Enjoy the voyage and all the site has to offer .

Regards Derek
Old 25th November 2009, 20:08
Active: 1960 - 2002

I was also on the Prince Louis early 1959.

John.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...7/ppuser/29857

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...2/ppuser/29857

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...1/ppuser/29857
Old 25th November 2009, 20:59

My location
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Andrew.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.
Old 25th November 2009, 21:45
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 26th November 2009, 08:12

Welcome Andrew. Pleased to see that you have been getting useful information. What a great site
Best wishes
Bert.
Old 26th November 2009, 09:54
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Andrew and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 26th November 2009, 23:38
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage
Old 27th November 2009, 15:33
James Smith

Welcome to S.N. Andrew. I remember Prince Louis well. I worked at Herd and MacKenzie in Buckie when she used to come for her annual refit in the 1950's.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:10
Organisation: Royal Navy

Thank you very much, Andrew, for reminding me about a period of my life which I hadn't thought about for years.

I was at Burghead in August/September 1956 as a member of Duncan Watch, with Major Windsor of the Royal Artillery as our Watch Officer, in view of his experience with the Gunners' regimental yacht ST BARBARA.

We had a very enjoyable time on board the PRINCE LOUIS, with Captain H W Langbein in command, Lieutenant Commander T I G (Slushy) Sothcott as one of the mates and I also seem to recall a 1/O Dinsdale-Young of the RFA as another, although he may have been another Watch Officer. We went from Burghead to Cromarty - I can still feel how cold the water was when we had "Hands to bathe" when anchored off! - before going on to Scapa Flow, and then down to Macduff, then back to Burghead. All great fun, and I sometimes wonder what happened to the other members of the watch, recalling David Hart particularly, and Fred Hollier, and Archie Milroy amongst others.

Lieutenat Commander Mackenzie (Sp?) was, I believe, the Senior Seamanship Instructor when I was there, and I vividly remember sailing in the rather cumbersome dipping lug cutters in the bay. I also remember to this day how I didn't get a 1st class in seamanship from him, allegedly because I broke an oar - it still rankles 53 years on! On mature reflection, it could also have been something to do with fact that he found me stepping out with a gorgeous local girl of whom he clearly didn't approve, and I remember him ordering me straight back "on board" to this day!

Topically enough, in view of recent sad events in Cumbria, where I note Andrew lives close to Cockkermouth and Workington, we did not do a mountain expedition but carried out quite extensive flood relief duties in and around Forres for several days instead.

Naturally, I had a look at www.bel-espoir.com/navire/be but they are way off beam with some of their remarks: ".... training of students of English Public Schools" indeed - the boys of Duncan Watch came - and rightly so - from a very broad variety of backgrounds, mostly from Scotland, and as for being "the boat which Prince Charles did his navy training in"! - his sail training, which led to the infamous cherry brandy incident in Stornoway, would almost certainly have been on board the Gordonstoun yacht OCEAN SPIRIT or her predecessor.

With renewed thanks to Andrew

Jack
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:58

I came across this Forum and thread by accident, as I was looking for a photo of Prince Louis in connection with a private autobiography for my sons and grandsons, having hit the age of 70 this week. I was on course M112 - Aug/Sept 1961. Cannot remember which Watch - might have been Drake. Again a broad range of backgrounds amongst the students/trainees. we also got involved in storm relief and clear up which affected our programme. I loved the cutter sailing, but was sad to get only 36 hours on Prince Louis instead of the five days we should have had. Strangely at a part a few years back I met a chap who had been on the course behind me. We both agreed our month at Burghead had been life changing and remembered with great affection.
Old 24th February 2014, 14:21
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2000

My location
I was at Gordonstoun at the same time as Prince Charles. We did our sailing on Pinta, a yawl, and Soldian, a ketch. Sea Spirit arrive after I had left. As a young lad I used to admire Prince Louis in the Moray Firth.
Old 24th February 2014, 15:09

Aah, I sailed with the skipper of Spirit, Bill Waugh, when he was freelancing with a school near Oban, about 1987
Old 26th December 2017, 20:01
Active: 1966 - 1972

To SERVE TO STRIVE AND NOT TO YIELD,
What a motto i went to Burgehead, we canoed part of the caledonian canal walked the mointains(camping out) and sailed the Prince Louis.
Remember the early morning runs and cold shower,the woolly uniform we had to wear,the march into Burghead for church,the training in the harbour with canoes.We sure did earn the badge which i still cherish
Old 29th December 2017, 09:13

My location
There was a Prince Louis at Aberdyfi for a short spell in the early 1950s, she replaced the Warspite which had gone for a rifit, I would guess the year as 1952 or maybe 1953. Bruce
Old 29th December 2017, 09:46

Here as 'Bel Espoir' >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (126.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 29th December 2017, 19:15
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by price View Post
There was a Prince Louis at Aberdyfi for a short spell in the early 1950s, she replaced the Warspite which had gone for a rifit, I would guess the year as 1952 or maybe 1953. Bruce
I was at Aberdovey in March 1952 (course 114) Bruce. The Warspite was there then. There was also another old sailing vessel laid up there, the Garibaldi. One of our jobs was to pump her out every morning, I often wonder what became of her.

Best regards... Alec.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:44

My location
Hello Alec, Yes, as I said the Prince Louis was only in Aberdyfi for a short period, I was only guessing at 1952/3. I remember she had a black hull, it would have been before early 1954 when I left Aberdyfi to go to sea. The Garibaldi had been on the inside berth for many years, she was still there in 1954 and may have still been there when I returned on my leaves until 1956? I am not sure when she left. Best wishes. Bruce