Island Princess - Ships Nostalgia
07:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Island Princess

User Tag List

Old 16th October 2005, 01:04

Smile Island Princess

I sailed on Island Princess in 1977 wondered if anyone has any good pictures of her. At the time I worked as a Public Room Steward in the Look Out Bar , unsure if that was the correct name ( my memory fails me ). At the time was doing cruising to Alaska and then started Mexico. I also looked after the area by the pool which was really nice as it had the first covered slide style roof I had seen. It was really a nice ship but had not long been taken over by Princess Cruises as this was very early on the road to bigger and better things to come for Princess Cruise.When I get time I will post a few pictures of what I have.
Old 16th October 2005, 01:38

My location
Sounds about the time she starred in the TV series "The Love Boat". Were you an unwitting star yourself?
Old 16th October 2005, 07:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy Bob,

Here you are, a fine shot,just to see the pool.

http://img448.imageshack.us/img448/1...cess6ta.th.jpg
Built in 1971 as Island Venture
GRT:20186
Island Princess,
Hyundai Pungak,
Platinum,
Discovery.
Andaman Victory
Discovery
build by Rheinstahl Nordseewerken GmbH[414]-Emden-Germany
lxbxd:168,74x24,59x7,40
power:13240kW,speed:21,5kn
passengers:600
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 17th October 2005, 00:56

Island Princess

Thanks for picture It was an interesting time on her I did a 4 month voyage and at the time the Purser was very nervous and we got hardly any time off. I had come from Oriana which was a fun ship to this new style of ship. I am interested to see she is still at sea with many name changes.
Old 17th October 2005, 02:04

Hi Bob,
My wife and I sailed on the "Island Princess" in 1994,we sailed from Singapore,Bali,Port Moresby,Sid Island,Brisbane to Sydney. I thought she was a fine ship and felt like a ship.I used to go topside to the Lido deck, beside the pool,thats where my favourite bar was. There were a couple of wee Scots girls on that deck,one from Alloa in Stilingshire,she was bartender ,the other wee lass came from Dunoon,in Argyleshire. My wife and I befriended them and spent many an afternoon enjoying our cruise and listening to the little trio that entertained on that deck.I have a beautifull picture i shot of the Princess anchored at Sid Island if I knew how to send it I would be delighted to do so,I've tried to send off a couple of pictures without success, so although the instructions sound easy they don't work for me?

Cheers,
Neil Mac.
Old 17th October 2005, 02:11

My location
Is this vessel now sailing as the M.V.Discovery? It looks very sinilar to that pictured on a
brochure we received last week.
Old 17th October 2005, 07:12

Thumbs up Island Princess

Yes she is sailing as Discovery just looked her up on the net, looks good !( for her age )