BP female Navigation Cadets - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
05:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP female Navigation Cadets

User Tag List

Old 6th January 2011, 17:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAMEMNON View Post
Joanna White was 2/0 on British Tamar in Falklands 1982. I think she was ex cadet.
How did I miss that? JM White was I certainly a 1976/77 NC, first ship I can locate was Progress 4/77.

I never clued in that she was in 'Operation Corporate', the BP involvement in the 1982 Falklands War. The crews of Avon and Tamar received South Atlantic Medals, the Dart and Esk South Atlantic Medals with Rosettes.

All 4 C/E's were ex Engineering Apprentices.

There were two 2/O's on the Tamar, Carrick ( 1974 NC) and White.

I sailed with Captain David Rundle when a NA in 1959 on the Justice. He was Master of the Wye in 1982 when a bomb dropped on her deck. He received the OBE for Falkland services

Graham
Old 7th January 2011, 08:15

Hi Graham, Who were the four Chiefs you mentioned?
George Jackson
Old 7th January 2011, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by george jackson View Post
Hi Graham, Who were the four Chiefs you mentioned?
George Jackson
Hi George,

Flooded out yet , or not in your area?

Esk- Joe Pyne 1958 EA
Tamar- Gordon Duncan 1962 EA
Dart- A David(?) Burgess 1955 EA ( my intake)
Esk- John Parry 1959 EA

I know Joe, Gordon and John, but never managed to locate David Burgess.

Wye C/E's in May/June, K Gray (possibly 1962EA) and WMI Ward

Graham
Old 7th January 2011, 19:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1973 - Present

I sailed on City of Glasgow 1977, capt' Paul Wheldon , east coast canada to south and east africa to uk ,
second mate Shiela Edmundson , aged 28 ,one of first female to gain british masters certificate , i believe she sailed master on ellermans medi container ship in early 80s, 'often wonder what became of Shiela , as i left city line in 1980.
Old 7th January 2011, 21:42
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Hi Rod,
I'll get back to you directly!

Back to Female NC's

Both A Rutherford and EAM Stroud were NC's on the Grenadier in October 1972. I cannot find any earlier info on either of these two ladies.

I have the feeling EAM Stroud became Mrs EA Davey, 3rd Mate on the Holly in August 1978.

NC Baker was NC on the Cavalier in April 1973 and 3rd Mate on the Unity Oct 1976

To date ( 1978 Ships movements) I have come across the names of around 28 names of Female NC's, around this time the BP typists started to eliminate the 'Miss' title !

Graham
Graham
I was first trip cadet on the Grenadier joining in Wilhelmshaven on 8th October 72 and can guarantee there were no female cadets on board at that time. If any had just paid off I am sure they would have been mentioned as female cadets were virtually unknown then.

Trev
Old 8th January 2011, 02:45

Nina Baker was a NC on Cavalier in Ships Movements 15th April 1973, I presumed she was a 1972 intake but then there does not seem to be any Rhyme or Reason as to when NC/s were indentured ( is that an old fashioned term?) and I suppose it could have been 1973.

Engineering Cadets always started with BP in September with the start of the College year.......makes sense to me!

Nina was on the Cavalier with a couple of NC's, MA Isles and PFST Lawrence, I wonder where they are now? The latest info I have on Isles is NC on Commerce 10/73 and PFST Lawrence was the Cavalier 4/73, they both disappeared off the radar after that as far as my info goes.

The only 1972 Ships Movements I have is 14th March so I have no idea when Nina Joined the Cavalier.

Maybe someone else will have the answer.

I did ask at the start of this thread if anyone had knowledge of Female Engineering Cadets, no response so far!

Graham
Old 10th January 2011, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vincent View Post
You guys missed one R/O Silva Slattery, I sailed with her on the "Esk", I believe but am not sure that Clair Tomlinsom married Tony White the C/O of the "Liberty", ones memory often plays games.
How about RC ID Hamilton on Ranger 10/79, could have been a male tho

Graham
Old 10th January 2011, 01:52

Captain Anne Rutherford was with a firm of cargo surveyors called Briar Maritime in Tasmania. They have since expanded into other areas of tanker and FPSO practice. I dont know if she is still with them.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:05
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Captain Anne Rutherford was with a firm of cargo surveyors called Briar Maritime in Tasmania. They have since expanded into other areas of tanker and FPSO practice. I dont know if she is still with them.

Looks like she is:

http://www.best-maritime.info/index....mpany_id/40225

http://www.best-maritime-mail.info/p...rsone_id/21944
Old 10th January 2011, 21:49

sailed with anne rutherford on the Br Admiral 74 along with another female cadet whos name i forget slim fair haired lassie who the galley boy fell head over heels for needless to say the mate put a stop to any hanky panky
Old 10th January 2011, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwebb View Post
sailed with anne rutherford on the Br Admiral 74 along with another female cadet whos name i forget slim fair haired lassie who the galley boy fell head over heels for needless to say the mate put a stop to any hanky panky
Ken,

Admiral Dec 1974 ,NC Miss GE Hardy,

Ring any Bells?

There were 3 GP boys !!!

Graham
Old 11th January 2011, 09:04

If I recall things correctly, Anne Rutherford is a partner in Briar Maritime. I think she helped to found the company.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:55

I,m sure I sailed with a DC called Zoe, on the Shoush about 1979/80
Old 11th January 2011, 14:12

My location
Captain Ann Rutherford
is the Responsible for Info Update & Correct in Company:
The Nautical Institute - Australia - Tasmania.
If you have personal questions or want to ask about Company Info and etc.
Contact him

Cut and pasted from the link given above. Now, is him a her or is her a him? You might say I'm a bit confused!
Old 11th January 2011, 19:12

graham

thats right graham i was one of the deck boys gail hardy was her name
Old 12th January 2011, 16:57
Capt. Peter J Newton

On the subject, any takers for the longest serving females at sea? I only had the pleasure of sailing with half a dozen female officers during my 44 years at sea (recently retired) but all left before they were 30, some earlier. It's a shame more women do not stay at sea long enough to reach senior rank (or that may be part of the problem - being a captain these days is not such a plum job as it once was!)
Old 14th January 2011, 20:36
Active: 1972 - 1982

Hello All,
My twopenneth on this.
I had the pleasure of sailing with two female cadets. The first was Sarah (second name eludes for the moment) who was from Watford and Vanessa Radley who was from Grantham, Lincolnshire. Both were on the Tay with me and I couldn't extend my 'trip' any longer because the 'owners cabin' was needed by two head office secretaries that had 'won a trip', on a ship.
Someone please support this , otherwise it was a great dream.
Vanessa played table tennis for Lincolnshire, at some level and it was necessary to book the table in advance, she was so popular

Graham
Old 19th January 2011, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vincent View Post
You guys missed one R/O Silva Slattery, I sailed with her on the "Esk", I believe but am not sure that Clair Tomlinsom married Tony White the C/O of the "Liberty", ones memory often plays games.
Hi Jon I was mate on the Security.
Tony
Old 29th January 2011, 00:13

I thought some might be interesed in this

Up to end of 1980 I have come across names of 38 female BP Navigating Cadets. There are photos of some in old Fleet News

As far as I know 3 married BP Navigating Officers

Graham
Old 29th January 2011, 10:07
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Sailed with a 2nd/Mate to Master in Toisa and Oil/tdw Alison ex BP cadet
Ray
Old 1st February 2011, 00:12

Hi Tony sorry I am a little late in replying, as I said memory plays tricks, it was the "Security" thanks for the correction Jon
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:00
Active: 1973 - 1980

Ok - Nina Baker was BPs first female deck cadet, followed by Liz Stroud and Anne Rutherford July 1973 and Vanessa Birtwhistle and myself, Clare Thorp (Tomlinson) in September 1973! I carried on to 2/0 leaving in 1980.

Last edited by clareT; 3rd February 2011 at 18:55..
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareT View Post
Ok - Nina Baker was BPs first female deck cadet, followed by Liz Stroud and Anne Rutherford July 1973 and Vanessa Birtwhistle and myself, Clare Thorp (Tomlinson) in September 1973! I carried on to 2/0 leaving in 1980.
Hi Clare,

So one of you has finally surfaced, I am delighted to meet you. I am the instigator of that thread and am pleased to have done so, but there were a few off beat replies tho.
I run a BP website originally looking for ex BP Eng Apps ,I was one 1955 intake (www.bpapprentices.com), expanded many years ago to make a database of all ex BP personnel I could locate, to date 720 on 347 different BP tankers.
Last November decided to make a database of Nav Apps/NC's starting around 1950 and using all the old BP Docs I have been collecting ,Apprentices Newsletters Drydock list, Fleet News and Ships Movements., to date 3600 names with ships they sailed on as NA/NC's and a couple as they progressed up the ladder.
An example.... CR Tomlinson!
Comet NC 10/73, Hawthorn 3M 11/76, Security 3M 2/78 (DA White C/O). Reliance 2M 11/80, Centaur 2M 12/80.
Suddenly around 1973 started coming across female NC's and therefore the thread in SN
I would be pleased if you would email me [email protected]
Regards,
Graham Wallace
Old 8th February 2011, 11:44
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Interesting entry here:http://web.ukonline.co.uk/m.gratton/...st%20-%20N.htm

* Nina Baker

FIRST woman accepted into the ordinary OND Deck Cadetship scheme in the British Merchant Navy and at the time was the only woman living in the hall of residence with 250 deck and engineering male cadets. She passed everything first time and won 2 prizes and then worked for a further year as a Third Mate with BP before moving to work on general cargo ships. In 1978 she got her 1st Mate's Certificate and worked on a cable ship for a few months before leaving the Merchant Navy altogether. She then went to University and got a BSc in Engineering Design with Appropriate Technology and then did a PhD in building materials. (P/L)
Old 4th November 2011, 16:53

Sailed with many females during my time with BP but those I remember most are Mary Jane Slaven and another girl called Kerry on their first trip on the Respect 1979/80. Also sailed with Caroline Roe on the Security in '82 or '83. Maybe I was just fortunate but, all the females I sailed with were cracking lasses who despite their feminine charms weren't affraid to get their hands dirty and didn't seem to mind too much us all taking the mickey. Good on ya girls!