BP Navigating Apprentices 1949 to 1985 database - Ships Nostalgia
10:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

BP Navigating Apprentices 1949 to 1985 database

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:48
Graham Wallace Graham Wallace is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
BP Navigating Apprentices 1949 to 1985 database

I spent a lot of pleasant time compiling this database 136 pages 3800 names and more, it does not exist anywhere else, there is nothing like it, it is unique, BUT it is essentially only for ex Navigating Apprentices/Cadets and it is sent to you with no other agenda.

I'm going nuts searching for and finding the odd NA/NC here and there, you guys ( and there are many of you in SN, you might even know others out of the SN network ) know where I stand. If you are interested drop me a line (see my profile)

The database ends at 1985 because that is the last of my collection of BP Fleet News, Ships Movements etc. If you are an ex Nav Cadet from 1985 on drop me a line I will add you to the list

Graham
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14th December 2011, 16:47
Brian C Smith Brian C Smith is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Another oldie

Graham,

at last I have got myself organised and I am another oldie for your data base.

Nav App Lancer 3/55 to 11/55
Nav App Seafarer 12/55 to 10/56
Nav App Caution 12/56 to 9/57
Nav App Resolution 10/57 to 6/58
Nav App Adventure 7/58 to 3/59
3/O Vision 7/59 to 4/60
3/O Victory 6/60 to 7/61

I will send you direct a listing of deck & engineering staff which may help with your tracking efforts.

I quit when National Sevice liabilty was stopped (originally if you came ashore before you were 26 you were liable to be called up)

I then spent 37 years with Procter & Gamble, Soap & Detergent Multi National & retired in 1999.

Connection with the sea has been limited to living in a coastal town: Whitley Bay. Plus with the advent of digital cameras I started photographing ships in the Tyne & Blyth. I have a simple web site for Blyth shipping at:

http://sites.google.com/site/shipsatblyth/

Best wishes for Christmas & the New Year you and all viewers of the BP forum.

Brian Smith
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13th February 2012, 13:47
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,429
Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
I spent a lot of pleasant time compiling this database 136 pages 3800 names and more, it does not exist anywhere else, there is nothing like it, it is unique, BUT it is essentially only for ex Navigating Apprentices/Cadets and it is sent to you with no other agenda.

I'm going nuts searching for and finding the odd NA/NC here and there, you guys ( and there are many of you in SN, you might even know others out of the SN network ) know where I stand. If you are interested drop me a line (see my profile)

The database ends at 1985 because that is the last of my collection of BP Fleet News, Ships Movements etc. If you are an ex Nav Cadet from 1985 on drop me a line I will add you to the list

Graham
Hallo Graham,

I've jumped over from the Bank Line site, searching for a couple of 1950's chums that were app's in BP Shipping. Namely Jack Wesson ( ex Woolverstone Hall 1950) and a good friend, Eric Livemore ( He was murdered by roadside thugs in nigeria in the 70's) but would welcome any information on either of them.

What is the web address for your database?

Best Wishes
Alan Rawlinson
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13th February 2012, 22:18
GeorgeM13's Avatar
GeorgeM13 GeorgeM13 is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1977
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 233
Hi Alan
sailed with Jack on the British Courage late '69. He was C/O I was first trip Uncert. 3/O. Good guy very hard working not helped by his MS. Very involved in tank-cleaning etc.. Short runs meant a lot of that type of stuff plus doing his normal watch-keeping. Left on leave after which he joined a crude carrier doing short trips again in the Medi., not what he deserved. Shortly after that I heard that he had died. Hopefully it was a rumour but his name never appeared again in the Fleet News.
Sorry not the best news
George
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13th February 2012, 23:02
Graham Wallace Graham Wallace is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Hallo Graham,

I've jumped over from the Bank Line site, searching for a couple of 1950's chums that were app's in BP Shipping. Namely Jack Wesson ( ex Woolverstone Hall 1950) and a good friend, Eric Livemore ( He was murdered by roadside thugs in nigeria in the 70's) but would welcome any information on either of them.

What is the web address for your database?

Best Wishes
Alan Rawlinson
Hi Allan,

MY BP website is in my profile www.bpapprentices.com and anyone can view it . At present the Nav Apprentices database is private and issued only to ex BP Nav App/Cadets. However when I finally overhaul the website the Nav App /Cadet database will be included but only details will be year of entry, their name and presea College. Their seatime details will not be included.
I'll send you an SN PM.

GrahaM
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14th February 2012, 08:54
Alan Rawlinson's Avatar
Alan Rawlinson Alan Rawlinson is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My location
Posts: 1,429
Jack Wesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM13 View Post
Hi Alan
sailed with Jack on the British Courage late '69. He was C/O I was first trip Uncert. 3/O. Good guy very hard working not helped by his MS. Very involved in tank-cleaning etc.. Short runs meant a lot of that type of stuff plus doing his normal watch-keeping. Left on leave after which he joined a crude carrier doing short trips again in the Medi., not what he deserved. Shortly after that I heard that he had died. Hopefully it was a rumour but his name never appeared again in the Fleet News.
Sorry not the best news
George


Hallo George,

Amazing to get a lead and news on Jack Wesson after 62 years, but sad that it might be bad news. I haven't heard a peep since we parted company way back in 1950 when we were school chums. I was invited to stay with him on his Father's yacht in Ramsgate harbour ( must have been summer of 1950) and remember it well.

Many thanks for the email and the news.

Best Wishes / Alan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26th February 2012, 12:50
jaygee11 jaygee11 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Hi Graham,

I was a Deck Cadet from 72 - 76 and would love to see your database.

Justice 10/72 - 04/73
Osprey 05/73 - 07/73
Argosy 01/74 - 06/74
Commodore 07/74 1 week only
Commerce 08/74 - 12/74
Forth 01/75 - 05/75
Fidelity 01/76 - 05/76

You can email me directly [email protected]

Kind regards,
Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16th March 2012, 02:22
Peteracook Peteracook is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - Present
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
My location
Posts: 17
Hi Graham,

I am very interested in your database, I was a Deck Cadet from 1972 to 1976 and sailed on the following vessels:

1972 Merlin
1973 Judge
1974 Commerce
1974 Vine
1975 Norness
1976 Fidelity

I finally left BP in 1984 going to Stevie Clarks and then into the offshore industry.

my e-mail is [email protected]

Best regards,

Peter Cook
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16th March 2012, 16:49
Graham Wallace Graham Wallace is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
Hi Peter,

You are on the Database, PAC #799, last "vessel" possibly Safe Felicia.

I'll send you a SN email

Graham
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12th April 2012, 21:52
lizzylive78 lizzylive78 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Hi Graham

I was Nav Apprentice 1978 - 1982

Keep up the good work !!

Ian Garrod

Hazel
Kennet
Unity
Bdr Castle
Centaur
Resource
Minab

Last edited by lizzylive78; 12th April 2012 at 21:57..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13th April 2012, 15:42
Graham Wallace Graham Wallace is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
Hi Ian ( ITG)

You are on the list at # 1293 . I'll send you an SN Email.

Graham
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 5th May 2012, 14:40
Roger Smith Roger Smith is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
Ex BP Navigating Apprentice

Hello Graham

I was a BP Navigating Apprentice from 1962 to 1966
The vessels I sailed on were :-
Navigator 11/62 to 4/63
Realm 5/63 to 1/64
Bombadier 3/64 to 7/64
Splendour 8/64 to 1/65
MAR Course at SShields 5/65 to 7/65 - the 1st one
Destiny 8/65 to 4/66
Hazel 5/66 to 8/66
then 3/O
Skill 1/67 to 11/67
Hussar 3/68 to 8/68
then 2/O
Seafarer 12/68 to 6/68
Seargeant 8/69 to 3/70
Gull 6/70 to 12/70
Industry 3/71 to 10/71
Patrol 1/72 to 3/72
then C/O
Trust 1/73 to 5/73
Curlew 8/73 to 12/73
Dragoon 3/74 to 1/75
Poplar 3/75 to 8/75
Hazel 12/75 5/76
then left and joined CP Ships

best regards
Roger Smith
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 5th May 2012, 17:16
xieriftips xieriftips is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 48
Hi, Roger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Smith View Post
Hello Graham

I was a BP Navigating Apprentice from 1962 to 1966
The vessels I sailed on were :-
Navigator 11/62 to 4/63
Realm 5/63 to 1/64
Bombadier 3/64 to 7/64
Splendour 8/64 to 1/65
MAR Course at SShields 5/65 to 7/65 - the 1st one
Destiny 8/65 to 4/66
Hazel 5/66 to 8/66
then 3/O
Skill 1/67 to 11/67
Hussar 3/68 to 8/68
then 2/O
Seafarer 12/68 to 6/68
Seargeant 8/69 to 3/70
Gull 6/70 to 12/70
Industry 3/71 to 10/71
Patrol 1/72 to 3/72
then C/O
Trust 1/73 to 5/73
Curlew 8/73 to 12/73
Dragoon 3/74 to 1/75
Poplar 3/75 to 8/75
Hazel 12/75 5/76
then left and joined CP Ships

best regards
Roger Smith
Nice to see you around.

David Tipping
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 6th May 2012, 01:03
Graham Wallace Graham Wallace is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
Hi Roger,

You are already on the NA/NC database #3196. I'll send you a Shipsnostalgia email

Graham
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 7th May 2012, 13:22
jmirvine jmirvine is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Smith View Post
Hello Graham

I was a BP Navigating Apprentice from 1962 to 1966
The vessels I sailed on were :-
Navigator 11/62 to 4/63
Realm 5/63 to 1/64
Bombadier 3/64 to 7/64
Splendour 8/64 to 1/65
MAR Course at SShields 5/65 to 7/65 - the 1st one
Destiny 8/65 to 4/66
Hazel 5/66 to 8/66
then 3/O
Skill 1/67 to 11/67
Hussar 3/68 to 8/68
then 2/O
Seafarer 12/68 to 6/68
Seargeant 8/69 to 3/70
Gull 6/70 to 12/70
Industry 3/71 to 10/71
Patrol 1/72 to 3/72
then C/O
Trust 1/73 to 5/73
Curlew 8/73 to 12/73
Dragoon 3/74 to 1/75
Poplar 3/75 to 8/75
Hazel 12/75 5/76
then left and joined CP Ships

best regards
Roger Smith
Roger,
We must have sailed together on the Curlew. I joined in Saltend on 1st August 73, and left in Grangemouth on 5th January 74. I was the Leckie, and at that time I lived near Dundee. I transfered from tankers to the Forties oilfield in 1975. Was with the offshore side of bp until I was made redundant in 1995.

I'm sorry, but I can't put a face to the name at all. The memory is not what it was 40 years ago.

Jim Irvine
R870686
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 7th May 2012, 16:07
Graham Wallace Graham Wallace is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
Jim,

According to Ships movements 2 October 1973 you were with Roger , along with Stephen Moody 3E and Horace Liberty EC.

I'll send you a full crew list in an email.

Graham
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 7th May 2012, 20:48
Roger Smith Roger Smith is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
Curlew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmirvine View Post
Roger,
We must have sailed together on the Curlew. I joined in Saltend on 1st August 73, and left in Grangemouth on 5th January 74. I was the Leckie, and at that time I lived near Dundee. I transfered from tankers to the Forties oilfield in 1975. Was with the offshore side of bp until I was made redundant in 1995.

I'm sorry, but I can't put a face to the name at all. The memory is not what it was 40 years ago.

Jim Irvine
R870686
Jim
My memory is also no longer what it was.
According to my Discharge Book I joined the Curlew in Europort on 16/8/73 and left 24/12/73 in the same place so obviously we were on there together.The signature in my book is DA Jones.Did we do a drydock in Immingham or have I got the wrong ship??

brgds
Roger
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 7th May 2012, 21:48
jmirvine jmirvine is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Smith View Post
Jim
My memory is also no longer what it was.
According to my Discharge Book I joined the Curlew in Europort on 16/8/73 and left 24/12/73 in the same place so obviously we were on there together.The signature in my book is DA Jones.Did we do a drydock in Immingham or have I got the wrong ship??

brgds
Roger

Roger,
I remember doing a drydock in Immingham on one ship, but whether it was the Curlew or not, I'm afraid I can't remember. I do remember that the pub at the dockyard gates was called "The Lock". I wonder why that sticks in my memory???

I've had a look at the crew list that Graham Wallace sent me. The Captain is SC Davies. I seem to recall he was a Welshman. Bit of the "Old School" if my memory serves me right.

I remember the third mate, Dave Exley, probably because we were 8-12 along with the 4/E Wally Turnbull.

C/E was Tony Langer, 3/E was Steve Moody, the 2 E/C's were Horace Liberty and Dave Outram.

The Chief Steward was Terry Mc Hugh.

Can't remember any of the others though. This getting old is a PITA!

Regards
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 8th May 2012, 20:30
Roger Smith Roger Smith is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
BP - Curlew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmirvine View Post
Roger,
I remember doing a drydock in Immingham on one ship, but whether it was the Curlew or not, I'm afraid I can't remember. I do remember that the pub at the dockyard gates was called "The Lock". I wonder why that sticks in my memory???

I've had a look at the crew list that Graham Wallace sent me. The Captain is SC Davies. I seem to recall he was a Welshman. Bit of the "Old School" if my memory serves me right.

I remember the third mate, Dave Exley, probably because we were 8-12 along with the 4/E Wally Turnbull.

C/E was Tony Langer, 3/E was Steve Moody, the 2 E/C's were Horace Liberty and Dave Outram.

The Chief Steward was Terry Mc Hugh.

Can't remember any of the others though. This getting old is a PITA!

Regards
Jim
Jim
It was indeed the Curlew that we drydocked in Immingham,my wife remembers because she brought the 2 kids down.
I do remember Capt Davies and 3/O Dave Exley and 4/E Wally Turnbull, the rest are just a blank

brgds
Roger
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12th October 2012, 12:51
rubicon42 rubicon42 is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1961 - 1964
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Hi Graham,
I was a Navigating Apprentice with BP from 1961 - 1964.

26th Sept 1961 - 31st May 1962 I joined the British Power at Falmouth on 26th Sept 1961, just as the British Aviator was coming in following her collision with the Crystal Jewel. What a welcome to your 1st career!

July 1962 - May 1963 British Trust
22nd July 1963 - 14th Nov 1963 British Flag
30th Dec 1963 - 26th Mar 1964 Mid Apprenticeship Course
22nd April 1964 - May 1964 British Corporal (cnx indentures and started another life)

krs Ray Gaubert
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12th October 2012, 19:08
Graham Wallace Graham Wallace is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
Hi Ray,

Long time since we were in touch (2005) , I'll get back to you in a SN email

Regards,
Graham
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 17th July 2013, 06:48
Peteracook Peteracook is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - Present
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
My location
Posts: 17
Hi Jerry,

I think we sailed together on the Fidelity as Cadets, it was my last trip as cadet.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12th November 2013, 08:08
Sheddy Sheddy is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 35
Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmirvine View Post
Roger,
I remember doing a drydock in Immingham on one ship, but whether it was the Curlew or not, I'm afraid I can't remember. I do remember that the pub at the dockyard gates was called "The Lock". I wonder why that sticks in my memory???

I've had a look at the crew list that Graham Wallace sent me. The Captain is SC Davies. I seem to recall he was a Welshman. Bit of the "Old School" if my memory serves me right.

I remember the third mate, Dave Exley, probably because we were 8-12 along with the 4/E Wally Turnbull.

C/E was Tony Langer, 3/E was Steve Moody, the 2 E/C's were Horace Liberty and Dave Outram.

The Chief Steward was Terry Mc Hugh.

Can't remember any of the others though. This getting old is a PITA!

Regards
Jim
Couple of names have come leaping out of this message :- "Dave Exley". I Did my Mates ticket with him at South Shields in the summer of 1975 - Great class of "social" students ! Last I saw of him was when he was serving on the Forties Kiwi whilst it was tied up in Dundee.
Jim Irvine - I think we may have served together on the British Hazel during the early 1970's - I joined as 3/O in Mersin - Turkey and left five months later from Japan after a trip coasting around South Africa. The local Coasting Tanker was in a collision, and the Hazel filled in, plying between Durban, Port Elizabeth, East London then onwards to Aden and over to Japan. Happy memories.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12th November 2013, 17:36
Mecthurso Mecthurso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
I spent a lot of pleasant time compiling this database 136 pages 3800 names and more, it does not exist anywhere else, there is nothing like it, it is unique, BUT it is essentially only for ex Navigating Apprentices/Cadets and it is sent to you with no other agenda.

I'm going nuts searching for and finding the odd NA/NC here and there, you guys ( and there are many of you in SN, you might even know others out of the SN network ) know where I stand. If you are interested drop me a line (see my profile)

The database ends at 1985 because that is the last of my collection of BP Fleet News, Ships Movements etc. If you are an ex Nav Cadet from 1985 on drop me a line I will add you to the list

Graham
Graham I was a deck cadet with BP tankers Company, and then BP Shipping from 1978 to 1982:

British Hazel (2 trips)
British Tamar
British Centaur
SS Shoush (Irano-British Shipping Company)
British Promise
British Pride

College at South Shields Marine & Tech
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12th November 2013, 17:39
Mecthurso Mecthurso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzylive78 View Post
Hi Graham

I was Nav Apprentice 1978 - 1982

Keep up the good work !!

Ian Garrod

Hazel
Kennet
Unity
Bdr Castle
Centaur
Resource
Minab
Ha ha I don't believe this! Was only talking about you today Ian!

Remember me from the British Centaur? Dry dock in Falmouth and broke my arm - we went to see Thin Lizzy at St Austell.

Mike Cowie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BP Navigating Apprentices Graham Wallace BP Shipping 45 11th May 2014 16:45
Apprentices on the SS Stonegate 1949-53 JohnCampbell Looking for Old Shipmates 2 29th August 2012 16:32
1948 BP Navigating Apprentice, Rob Screech Graham Wallace BP Shipping 6 23rd June 2011 19:30
QE2 Skipper ex BP Navigating Apprentice Graham Wallace BP Shipping 10 16th June 2009 10:13
Ex BP Navigating Apprentice cariad Say Hello 12 4th December 2007 17:08



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.