Football Matches - Ships Nostalgia
10:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Football Matches

User Tag List

Old 29th December 2011, 10:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Football Matches

Anyone remember playing football ashore with local teams?
I remember a match that was organised for us in Tyance/Tuapse? a Soviet port in the Black Sea. We played a Russian tanker, and got thrashed. Also played against a BP Nigeria team at their social club in Lagos, also, played games against the local grammar school just outside Okrika. Again, well beaten. I rarely played myself, but I made a good spectator. I did play once in Okrika as I recall.
The slightest graze always became infected.
Old 29th December 2011, 11:02

Blue Funnel ships always had a football team, and played against other ships, shoreside teams and military sides all round the Malayan coast and in Hong Kong.
I played a few times against the tally clerks team in Port Swettenham, and never managed to escape with anything less than a 5-0 thrashing, they were good.
I was in the team off the Achilles playing an RAF side at the Happy Valley racecourse in Hong Kong in 1959 when news came through at half time of the death in a plane crash of Buddy Holly. The match was abandoned there and then. I think we were winning at the time.
Pat
Old 29th December 2011, 11:36

The Norwegian "Seamen's Welfare Office" arranged "merchant fleet cup matches" for the liner crews. The final was covered by the papers, but among the average sailor, who never knew when he would be where, it was seen as pretty silly, and a waste of tax money - as was most ideas from that office. (Someone who has participated, and is more of a flag waver, will of course have a different opinion.)
The British Seamen's club often had soccer fields that could be borrowed, so you could arrange a friendly with the ship lying behind you. Big ships could use empty holds for a passable game. Well I’ve participated in one such down in the hold game, it didn’t have much to do with football.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:09

My location
I bet they held some great merchant fleet cup matches in North Korea.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:41
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1965 - 1970

I played in New Zealand, I think it was against a Norwegian ship, we went 1-0 down but came back to draw 1-1.

much more memorable was when I was on the Spero, a ro/ro ferry from Hull to Gothenburg.
we were in a league over there.
the league was open to any ship, points had to be awarded on the result.
you were only allowed to play 7 league games, you could play as many matches as you wanted but had to agree with the opposition prior to kick off whether it was a league match.

if you beat a team in the upper part of the league and beat them you got bonus points for that, you got bonus points depending on the amount af goals you scored.

we decided we would only play league matches against the higher placed teams, we were getting scores like 14-0 regularly.

only once did the result look in doubt, it was against the Irish Rowan, they were winning 1-0 but we went on to beat them 2-1.

we were top of the league after 5 matches, I got the sack for turning to late once too often, I had glandular fever at the time, though my time-keeping did become poor so I guess I deserve what I got.
the team lost the last 2 matches!!!!!!!!!

we still ended up the highest placed British team and was awarded a medal and a penknife, the winners had a dinner thrown for them in Sweden.

loved my football, always have, played for teams till I was about 40 after leaving the Merchant Navy.

my 2 sons loved the game and my youngest went on to represent Bedford at District and County level.

ray..................in Batley.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:47
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Stein, in the 1970's when I sailed on Norwegian ships we often tried to get a football game going. On the M/T Hallanger (Westfal-Larsen) we played in the Seven Seas football competition in Rotterdam, we possibly could have won that competition (played 4 won 4) but we missed the last 3 games due to being re-routed to the USA and Japan. On the Royal Viking Star we had a good team (more crew to select from) and we always tried to get a game when we were in port with another passenger ship, we came unstuck when we played the Queen Elizabeth 2 in Lisbon it was the only time that we lost heavily but the party on the QE2 after the game was great.

Cheers Frank
Old 29th December 2011, 12:54

My location
" we played the Queen Elizabeth 2 in Lisbon"

Yeah..............and i was NEVER offside for that goal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 29th December 2011, 13:05
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
" we played the Queen Elizabeth 2 in Lisbon"

Yeah..............and i was NEVER offside for that goal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ref/linesman were bent......
Old 29th December 2011, 18:36

A couple of pictures, for Frank and who else it may concern. First picture shows opening of lighted sailor's soccer field "Red Hook" in Brooklyn in 1965. The first game was between a combined Scandinavian team against a team of Germans and South Americans, which the Scandinavians won (natch). The man behind the ref is our current king Harald, then crown-prince. (It would seem it was the freshly installed lights that was the reason for the royal presence) The second picture shows cups to be won, I suppose so as to decorate the shipowner's office? (Both pictures from "Vi som dro til sjøs," recommended for those who can read a bit Norwegian.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foootball 212.JPG (198.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg foootball 213.JPG (123.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by stein; 29th December 2011 at 18:53..
Old 29th December 2011, 18:41

My location
"The ref/linesman were bent......"

If you mean Tina,Roxy and Jenni from the Black Pig's stewards dept................

You may have a case.
Old 29th December 2011, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
A couple of pictures, for Frank and who else it may concern. First picture shows opening of lighted sailor's soccer field "Red Hook" in Brooklyn in 1965. The first game was between a combined Scandinavian team against a team of Germans and South Americans, which the Scandinavians won (natch). The man behind the ref is our current king Harald, then crown-prince. (It would seem it was the freshly installed lights that was the reason for the royal presence) The second picture shows cups to be won, I suppose so as to decorate the shipowner's office? (Both pictures from "Vi som dro til sjøs," recommended for those who can read a bit Norwegian.)
We who went away to sea?
The banner must have been of European manufacture as no true American would use 'football' to describe 'soccer'.
Regards.
Pat
Old 29th December 2011, 22:34
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Once played rugby against a team of 'locals' in Port Harcourt. We all rolled up in engine room boots etc. and any old gear we had.
Out pranced the 'locals', all well over 6ft in brand new royal blue strip - immaculate. Turned out they were from the police and prison guards and they gave us a proper going over.

The result? I believe the term is 'steamrollered'.

Derek
Old 30th December 2011, 00:00
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
I helped make up the numbers in April 1962 when the apprentices of the "City of Lucknow" played a local team in a rugby match organised by the minister at the Flying Angel in Dar es Salaam. I remember little of the game except that it was blinding hot and the pitch was so hard that we might as well have been playing on concrete. Not a blade of grass to be seen. Don't know the score, the result or how I survived.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 30th December 2011, 02:05
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1989

We used to always have games of Fitba on the Kiwi or Ozzie coast usually against the Kiwi seaman or the wharfies the problem was the longer we were on the coast the crapper we got, probably our regimen of booze,illicit substances and sha#[email protected] wasnt right (hmmm bit like Andy Carroll eh!) we also dispensed with the tradtional oranges at halftime as being for pussies,2 cans of Tennants and a fag were more our speed ,of course revolving substitutions were essential as most of us were blowing for tugs after 10 minutes.
Our lowest point on the Auckland Star was when we played in Nelson after we had been on the coast a month (and looked it) some kind person organised a game for us ,we thought we were playing some other bunch of clapped out seamen but oh no it was the local league team Nelson Metropolitan who played in the old NZ league at the time..I ll draw a curtain over the bloodbath that followed except to mention one hilarious and one pitiful thing that happened the first was when our crew of cheerleaders (20 shipmolls)decided to lend us a hand by dragging their goalie out of goals and sitting on him it didnt help though as we were pinned in our own half all game,the second was pitiful when the score got to double figures they took pity on us by taking a player off each time they scored another goal i think they ended up with six players to our ???
all good fun though.
Old 30th December 2011, 05:51

My location
On Bencruachan in the 50's we had a football team and played against various other ships in Singapore and Port Swettenham, the Chippy was our coach and if he caught you smoking or boozing while training you were suspended, We played against the British Army at Fort Cannon and beat them too!! Worst mistake was playing against Tiger Brewery in Singapore, they gave us bottles of Tiger at half time while they sucked on oranges...We got hammered!!
Ern Barrett
Old 30th December 2011, 09:50

My location
My last game was in Copenhagen, a Sunday morning kick about among ourselves, but we met a bunch of UK students so a good game commenced. The pitch was nice and muddy so I demonstrated my speciality sliding tackles a la Daves MacKay. Left knee protested by getting a torn cartilage. It locked up and I had to hop back until we found a wheelbarrow at a road works. It was 'borrowed'.
The skipper observed me hopping up the gangway and declared I'd have to wait until Brofjiorden in Sweden for medical attention.
After the diagnosis the surgeon offered to fix it for a bottle of whisky.
I wish I'd been able to accept, the nurses were drop dead gorgeous.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
I remember a match that was organised for us in Tyance/Tuapse? a Soviet port in the Black Sea. We played a Russian tanker, and got thrashed. Also played against a BP Nigeria team at their social club in Lagos, also, played games against the local grammar school just outside Okrika. Again, well beaten. I rarely played myself, but I made a good spectator. I did play once in Okrika as I recall.
This happened to me on the coast and NW Europe on the home traders out of grain. The Mission in Rotterdam would oganise a ship to ship game of Footie, or sometimes at a port off the swedish or Nowegian coast. Nothing in the UK? though.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:19

Once when we called into Kingston Jamaica for repairs, whilst we were there we were challenged to a game by the crew of a Russian ship. I Knew we were off to a bad start when they all turned up in full kit, and we were a right ragtag bunch. We even had to get some of the local kids to join us to make the team up. The Bosun was in goal with a can of beer in his hand.

Later when we came off the berth and went to the anchorage, we found we had a stowaway, one of the Russian crew was found in the pantry.

Happy Days

Last edited by Compass Rose; 30th December 2011 at 12:31..
Old 30th December 2011, 14:22
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Shaftesbury FC

I sailed three voyages on Houlder's Shaftesbury and we managed to scrape together a football team in a number of ports. Most memorable was when we loaded sugar in Mauritius. Played one game against a local borstal and another against the Gloucester Regiment who were there for the independence handover and celebrations. Won the first game but were being so hammered against the army at half time that we had to switch forwards to make a game of it.
Old 30th December 2011, 19:50
Active: 1963 - 1972

My location
Think it was on the Enugu Palm in Lagos/Apapa around 1965/66. The deck crowd were asked to make up the numbers, the main players being mates and engineers. With the promise of icy colds after I "volunteered" even though I had carefully avoided all sport throughout my school years.
I think the mission in Apapa arranged the whole thing. The pitch was beside the sea, and the other team were Norwegian and were in full matching kit. Our mates and engineers were in whites and the deck crowd in sawn off dungees and flip-flops.
I got fed up after half-time and deserted and went for a swim. Pretty sure we were beaten, but I still got some icy colds after.
Old 30th December 2011, 20:47
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Off tangent a bit, but my ex brother in law used to wrestle on the Edinburgh Castle back in the 60s. Apparently wrestling was a big thing on that ship. Anyone remember that? Never had any on the Capetown Castle when I was on her.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:24

When I was with Common Brothers and on the good vessel 'Nimos' on the Aussie- New Guinea run, we used to regularly play footie during our stays in Sydney. I think the matches were organised by the Scandinavian seamens 'mission', but they usually entailed drinking of beer in the aftermath. It was usually on a Sunday. problem was we always had a party on the Saturday night so the 'team' wasn't really at it's best. Oh how great it was to knock off on Saturday lunchtime (sometimes Friday afternoon) until Monday morning.

I played in goal one day and the ball was kicked into the bushes behind the goal. On going to retreive the said ball I came face to face with a snake. I retreated with the ball at a rate of knots and when asked what colour the snake was, my reply of 'brown' was met with the retort 'oh they're deadly'!

Regards

Steve Mills
Old 30th December 2011, 21:47
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

I too remember a few games of footy,always against a Russian ships team and always lost the match.
I would guess nowadays there,s not enough time in port for a quick game of dominoes.In Bank Line we could have played a test series of cricket in Calcutta the time we had in port!
Old 31st December 2011, 17:38

Quote:
Off tangent a bit, but my ex brother in law used to wrestle on the Edinburgh Castle back in the 60s. Apparently wrestling was a big thing on that ship. Anyone remember that? Never had any on the Capetown Castle when I was on her.
I imagine there was a good deal of wrestling of one sort or another in the Lavender Fleet. Chris Isaac might know.

Pat
Old 1st January 2012, 21:28
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Quote:
Hi Dickyboy,

I was on the Br Trent and we went ashore in Tuapse and played the local fire brigade. Their team turned out in all sorts of old style sports gear and boots. We made a decent enough fist of it but still ended up getting beat. The wife took some cans of coke and oranges ashore for refreshment these people were eternally grateful and kept them to take home for the kids. This was in 1987. It was a real eye opener going there, the mission staff were really friendly and organised all sorts of trips out etc. I remember there was a bar called the Neptune where the local girls were friendlier still