Old Blue Flue Mates - Ships Nostalgia
15:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Old Blue Flue Mates

User Tag List

Old 29th March 2006, 21:00

Old Blue Flue Mates

Does anyone remember George or Willie Wood and Jim Geddie from the Buckie area
Old 30th March 2006, 14:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

hello there shimate i sailed in 4 blueys in my 12 years at sea on deck AGAPENOR PERSEUS ANTILOCHUS PYRRHUS none of the names you mention ring the old bell but one for you do you remember[ albert lane ]the old man on the pyrrhus fair weather mate DURANGO
Old 30th March 2006, 21:06
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1974

My location
Albert Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO
hello there shimate i sailed in 4 blueys in my 12 years at sea on deck AGAPENOR PERSEUS ANTILOCHUS PYRRHUS none of the names you mention ring the old bell but one for you do you remember[ albert lane ]the old man on the pyrrhus fair weather mate DURANGO
I sailed with Albert(Bronco)Lane my first trip on the Peleus '64 and 3 trips on the Pyrrhus '68/69.
He was certainly one for watching the pennies.

Regards Phil Saul
Old 8th June 2006, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saul
I sailed with Albert(Bronco)Lane my first trip on the Peleus '64 and 3 trips on the Pyrrhus '68/69.
He was certainly one for watching the pennies.

Regards Phil Saul
when i ws on the pyrrhus the bosun was the called the gaul i beleive he used to drive coaches when he was on leave anyone remember him
Old 8th June 2006, 01:53

The bosun on the Eurypylus (voyage #1, 1947-48) ) - ex-Samsette - was a tall sinewey man from southern England. He had a face that made Jack Pallance look positively angelic, and naturally, he was call The Ghoul. Not to his face, mind. He was a real old-time sailor, though; a master of his trade.

Could this be the same bosun that graced the decks of Pyrrhus?
Old 14th June 2006, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette
The bosun on the Eurypylus (voyage #1, 1947-48) ) - ex-Samsette - was a tall sinewey man from southern England. He had a face that made Jack Pallance look positively angelic, and naturally, he was call The Ghoul. Not to his face, mind. He was a real old-time sailor, though; a master of his trade.

Could this be the same bosun that graced the decks of Pyrrhus?
i reckon that is the same man as you say a tall man he was sinewey, also i found him to be o.k and he knew his stuff
Old 7th August 2006, 23:41

Quote:
If [email protected] the same Albert Lane - he was 2nd Mate on the Glengarry in 1958. A superb footballer! Our ships team was undefeated for two trips until we played the RN at Singapore!

Ex Bluey!
Old 8th August 2006, 17:46
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
"Pyrrhus"

Quote:
Hi Durango,

I have got a photo of the "Pyrrhus" that I took in Port Swettenham when I was on the "Bellerophon" around 52/53. I shall have to put it on the Gallery. I have only just learned how to do it.

Trader.
Old 8th August 2006, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader
Hi Durango,

I have got a photo of the "Pyrrhus" that I took in Port Swettenham when I was on the "Bellerophon" around 52/53. I shall have to put it on the Gallery. I have only just learned how to do it.

Trader.
Thanks for that Trader theres nothing like the sight of a Bluey to take a man back to the golden days be lucky mate thanks again
Old 8th August 2006, 22:29

I was at the Prince of Wales Sea Training school in Dover with a Willie Woods from Buckie in 1963. Could that be the same guy? Come to think of it I think he was from Port Knockie (?).

Last edited by Dave Edge; 9th August 2006 at 05:18.. Reason: More information
Old 9th November 2006, 20:13
Active: 1973 - 1981

My location
Whilst never having sailed with Bronco Lane in my time with Blue Funnel I have heard many tales some probably growing with telling. Seems this man was a bit of a legend
Old 12th November 2006, 14:10

Calling all ex Blueys who had sailed on some of the Straits Steamships vessels. There is a gathering of all ex seafarers coming up in Singapore soon. Those interested please email me at [email protected] Look forward to response from you. Cheers, Sylvester ex CENTAUR PROTESILAUS STENTOR RHEXENOR ANTENOR DOLIUS MACHAON MARON GLENLYON GLENROY EGORI PELEUS AND FEW OTHERS which I cant remember.
Old 12th November 2006, 15:11
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Would that be the Same Bronco Lane who we used to sing along with in The Aigburth Hotel 1962 / 63 ??? He was quite good on the Guitar.
Old 17th November 2006, 15:08

Still got the photo of Glengarry Football team. Albert was a super defender, I was Golie.
Old 13th February 2007, 18:23

hi ship mates, does anyone remember John F Kenedey bosun on theseus 1966
Old 13th February 2007, 22:35

My location
George Wood

I sailed with George Wood on the Automedon in the 50's and subsequently went to his wedding. He was from Port Nockie and his wife was from the same area. Unfortunately Janet died not long after they were married. George was a great shipmate with a hearty sense of humour. When he lapsed into the North East dialect he was hard to understand but I had sailed with a few from that area previously and "it wis nae bothe tae ken whit he said aboot the quines!!!"
Regards. Dugie
Old 26th February 2007, 19:15

From the best of memory the Goul was Harry Evans. He was Bosun of the Pyrrhus for most of the Sixties. Don't know about driving buses during his leave but like all Bosuns in the Blue Funnel he got there because he was an excellent sailor
Hague
Old 26th February 2007, 19:44
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Old Blue Flu Mates

I'm not ex.Blue Flue but there are two names which I would like to chuck into the pot in case anyone should be able to shed light on their subsequent careers. The first is a long shot and would be aimed at those of you around the 70 mark. He was a cadet with BF around the 1954/55 period and his name was Tony Ablett. I'm not certain if he completed his cadetship or not.
The second certainly did and I believe continued in their service. Name of Gordon Vickery and would have been a cadet around the late 50's,early 60's.
Old 8th March 2007, 20:50

John Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflue View Post
I sailed with John Kennedy 'around the land' in 66 and I think he was on his first trip as Bosun. A Birkenhead man. Frequently pops up on the Radio Merseyside "Roger Philips Lunch Time Show" ( a phone in between 1200- 1330hrs.)
Brgds
Hague
Old 6th November 2007, 12:46

Willie Wood was second mate of the Pyrrhus, when I was the fourth mate, in 1960.
Jim Geddie and I were middies together on Diomed voy 4 & 5, in 1957/58
We swapped e mails a couple of years ago, he was on Friends Reunited, but have since lost touch.
Regards
Dolius
Old 6th November 2007, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
I'm not ex.Blue Flue but there are two names which I would like to chuck into the pot in case anyone should be able to shed light on their subsequent careers. The first is a long shot and would be aimed at those of you around the 70 mark. He was a cadet with BF around the 1954/55 period and his name was Tony Ablett. I'm not certain if he completed his cadetship or not.
The second certainly did and I believe continued in their service. Name of Gordon Vickery and would have been a cadet around the late 50's,early 60's.
Tony Ablett and I were middies on the Diomed voy 4 & 5, 1957/58. I haven't seen or heard of him since. He was pretty handy with a camera and would have some good photos.
Old 7th November 2007, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflue View Post
I sailed with JFK in 68 when he was Bosun on Anthilochus
Old 7th November 2007, 00:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
Name of Gordon Vickery and would have been a cadet around the late 50's,early 60's.
I did a couple of voyages with him in Diomed 1960. Nothing further known.
Old 7th November 2007, 20:11

Any of you remember Barry Cushman. Middy in the late 50s. Heard he actually got command in the 'China'. I forgot the ship but remebering the name put him ahead of a lot of his contempories. Used to sit doing the 'Articles ' & 'Identities' for hours.
Old 8th November 2007, 17:24
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Any of you remember Barry Cushman. Middy in the late 50s. Heard he actually got command in the 'China'. I forgot the ship but remebering the name put him ahead of a lot of his contempories. Used to sit doing the 'Articles ' & 'Identities' for hours.
Yes, I remember Barry. He was the senior middy on my first trip (on Dolius, Captain Punchard.).We left Bidston Dock at midnight on a cold November night exactly 49 years ago. He was a dab hand at the Daily Telegraph crossword. Not surprised he made it to a command with Blue Flue, he had all the required qualities. The rest of the halfdeck comprised Bill Payne from Cawsand,Plymouth,Peter Pallot from Jersey and yours truly.