Ships Nostalgia banner

J. Rowan & Sons

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Joe Freeman 
#1 ·
Hi all,
By chance does anyone have any information on the engine builder J. Rowan & Sons?

Goggles.

#5 ·
My first job when I came ashore, in the mid-1970s, was as the maintenance manager for Scottish Machine Tools Ltd, who were based in Rowan's old engine shop in Elliot Street Glasgow, I always had visions of the engines being built there.
Jim H

#8 ·
As a past employee of David Rowan & Co. I have researched some history most of which came from the book "The Shipbuilding Industry" a guide to historical records published by Manchester University Press, Ritchie edition.
Briefly David Rowans was established in 1866 at which time began the manufacture of marine engines and boilers, was taken over by the Lithgow Group and merged with Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering in 1963 which became Fairfield Rowan& Co. Ltd. and ceased operations in 1966 after 100 years of manufacturing marine engines & boilers.
My father served his apprenticeship as a patternmaker in the late 20's at Rowans along with two of his brothers, one a boilermaker and the other a coppersmith.
Joe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.