Bankline in the 50's.... - Page 31 - Ships Nostalgia
15:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bankline in the 50's....

User Tag List

Old 5th April 2018, 15:21

My location
Allen Jones of Grayson Rollo & Clovers ?? Lossiebank 1956
Old 10th January 2019, 15:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Trinidad Poem

Here's a poem written for inclusion in my new book - " Ocean Dreams" due out shortly.

It was inspired by laying at anchor in the Bank Line ships at Point Fortin, Trinidad. It's early dawn, and the barges with the bitumen drums are beginning to approach as the sun rises......

Ode to a Trinidad Dawn

Walking slowly on the deck,
The ship all still and anchored deep,
A dawn begins its magic charm,
As nature wakens from deep sleep.

Shimmering light across the water
As the coolness starts to turn,
Plopping birds making ripples,
And the peeking Sun begins to burn.

The spell is cast for some moments
The feeling of a reverent hush,
There’s something mystic in the air,
And calm before the daily rush.
Old 28th February 2019, 07:51

John Hebblewhite, my father, David John Wood served on Bankline the same years. Do you recall his name by any chance?
Old 28th February 2019, 07:53

Hey Charlie Stitt. I've been trying to get access to the Bankline website, but it keeps saying request pending. It's been a few days now. Could you help me out please?
Old 11th September 2019, 09:54

My location
All things bank line.

Seems like there is still a very active number of ex Bank Line personnel looking in on SN and some other sites. I am getting around 50 visitors each day on my site called http://banklineonline.com and about 150 viewings of the various posts which come under the tagline: "All things Bank Line..." ASHBANK shown below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_7cc4.jpg (21.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 11th September 2019 at 17:19..
Old 11th September 2019, 15:21
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Alan,

After some fruitless attempts to upload photos to Bank Line Nostalgia (BLN) I contacted Charlie (Stitt) and he implied that he was thoroughly p****d off with the website owners and was thinking of retiring. Presumably that would mean the end of BLN.

Mike
Old 11th September 2019, 17:18

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
Alan,

After some fruitless attempts to upload photos to Bank Line Nostalgia (BLN) I contacted Charlie (Stitt) and he implied that he was thoroughly p****d off with the website owners and was thinking of retiring. Presumably that would mean the end of BLN.

Mike
HI MIKE,
Exchanged emails with Charlie a few times re the site. The latest he told me yesterday was that he would carry on for a bit. When he mooted the idea of handing over, a couple of people contacted Bank Line Association ( Geoff Solomon) but Geoff is fully engaged with other things. Would be a shame to lose the site when there are 400 registered members or close.
Old 12th September 2019, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
HI MIKE,
Exchanged emails with Charlie a few times re the site. The latest he told me yesterday was that he would carry on for a bit. When he mooted the idea of handing over, a couple of people contacted Bank Line Association ( Geoff Solomon) but Geoff is fully engaged with other things. Would be a shame to lose the site when there are 400 registered members or close.
Hello Alan,

When Charlie mentioned 'retiring' I suggested that maybe the Association might be interested in combining with BLN. I realise that might take a bit of work as with any IT project but it would make sense to have a site for the Association. I speak as someone who knows a miniscule amount about computers, just enought to get by on!

By the way the photo you put up of a H&W 50s/60s Bank Boat in Post #755 - which one was it please?

Mike

Last edited by Waighty; 12th September 2019 at 15:22..
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:28

My location
This n that..

Hi Mike,

Was the ASHBANK in the picture. Not sure if you are logging in to my site http://banklineonline.com. ? but I am putting up several photos a day of all the various fleet vessels including sail and steam. The stats tell me that about 50 people a day look in. Probably all the same ones!

Sea Breezes will publish a Bank Line article shorlly that I have put together about the Andrew Weir sailing ship fleet. Have tried to make it interesting with details of the losses / strandings, etc.

How is the blue plaque project going?

Best wishes/Alan
Old 7th October 2019, 15:35

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the ship's name. The Blue Plaque project is still active. I was advised that the panel of 'experts' who make all the decisions sit twice a year and this or next month should be one of them. Once they make their choice the folk who made proposals will be advised - here's hoping! The last plaque announcement was a few days ago when one was unveiled to Bob Marley the reggae musician. Given that he smoked a lot of dope (matter of public record) I assume that someone as staid and conventional as Andrew Weir won't get a look in but you never know.

Last edited by Waighty; 7th October 2019 at 15:36.. Reason: spelling
Old 10th October 2019, 15:14

My location
Quote:
Hello Alan,

Thanks for the ship's name. The Blue Plaque project is still active. I was advised that the panel of 'experts' who make all the decisions sit twice a year and this or next month should be one of them. Once they make their choice the folk who made proposals will be advised - here's hoping! The last plaque announcement was a few days ago when one was unveiled to Bob Marley the reggae musician. Given that he smoked a lot of dope (matter of public record) I assume that someone as staid and conventional as Andrew Weir won't get a look in but you never know.
Hi Mike,

Interesting... Did you make the submission, and thinking about Andrew Weir's achievements, did you stress the common belief that he built and owned the biggest sailing ship fleet by a British owner? I'm sure you did, but was trying to think of a compelling reason for the committee to grant the Blue Plaque. Is there an appeals process, I wonder, in the event that the application is refused.
Cheers/Alan
Old 11th October 2019, 15:40

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Interesting... Did you make the submission, and thinking about Andrew Weir's achievements, did you stress the common belief that he built and owned the biggest sailing ship fleet by a British owner? I'm sure you did, but was trying to think of a compelling reason for the committee to grant the Blue Plaque. Is there an appeals process, I wonder, in the event that the application is refused.
Cheers/Alan
Hello Alan,

My main thrust was the benefits he brought to society by building a shipping concern that employed many hundreds of people and who in turn contibuted to the nation through taxes, etc. Also his success in WW1 when he was brought in by Lloyd George to sort the supply system out and making the logisitics of supply to the Western Front a success. Since the Team haven't returned my application and since I forgot to make a copy I can't recall what else I said!

Mike
Old 11th October 2019, 15:50

My location
Quote:
Hello Alan,

My main thrust was the benefits he brought to society by building a shipping concern that employed many hundreds of people and who in turn contibuted to the nation through taxes, etc. Also his success in WW1 when he was brought in by Lloyd George to sort the supply system out and making the logisitics of supply to the Western Front a success. Since the Team haven't returned my application and since I forgot to make a copy I can't recall what else I said!

Mike
Thanks Mike, Let's hope it succeeds. I have a gut feeling that the sailing ship fleet build up might carry a lot of weight with the abjudicators. Is it a quango, I wonder?
Old 12th October 2019, 15:55

Quote:
Thanks Mike, Let's hope it succeeds. I have a gut feeling that the sailing ship fleet build up might carry a lot of weight with the abjudicators. Is it a quango, I wonder?
Om the same lines as a Quango I'm sure and probably heavily into political correctness. If Andrew Weir had been a cross dressing bi-sexual extrovert then a plaque no problem! Forgive the scepticism and who knows I may be surprised after all.