MV Woolwich Watts Watts Co - Ships Nostalgia
06:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MV Woolwich Watts Watts Co

User Tag List

Old 13th June 2007, 18:20

MV Woolwich Watts Watts Co

Can anyone help,I am looking for a photo of
the MV Woolwich.I joined the ship as deckboy in Hull
In 1955.I would be obliged If anyone has any Information
about the ship or company Watts Watts.
Regards Artie
Old 13th June 2007, 20:52

My location
my first navigation teacher was a master with watts watts and co.
his name was captain harry freeland. he died two years ago and is now buried in barrow.
harry was sunk 6 times between 1939 and 1945.

best regards........

sparkie2182
Old 13th June 2007, 21:55
Banned

Hello Artie,
I have a photograph of MV Woosung, purchased from Watts Watts by The China Navigation Co.Ltd. and which I believe was the former Watts Watts Woolwich and in which I served as Chief Mate in 1972-73. CNCo in fact purchased 3 vessels of this class those being the renamed Woosung-Wenchow and Wanlui.

Formerly, Woolwich-Wendover-Wanstead, ugly sons of bitches, (for wont of better adjectives) but excellent cargo ships.

If this indeed is the vessel you are looking for then email me with your postal address and I shall work out some way of getting a copy of my Woosung to you.
Rgds,
Geoff G.
Old 14th June 2007, 16:12

Cargo ship Woolwich, 7,669grt built in 1955 was the third ship carrying that name owned by the Britain SS Co. (Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd) The ship was sold to Bulgaria in 1962 and renamed Luben Karavelov. She was scrapped at Slit in 1976.

V.H. Young and L.A. Sawyer Black and White ship negative collection has a photo of her for sale under the latter name.

http://www.ship-photos.dynamic-site....Display+Format
Old 15th June 2007, 07:55
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Artie
Send me a PM with a contact Email address and I will forward you on a photo
Old 15th June 2007, 14:44
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

MV Wanstead 5664 tons built 1949 by Caledon SB Co;Dundee. 454.2 x 64.3 x 22.2. One 5 cyl diesel by Scotts S B, Greenock. DF,ESD,GYc, Radar.Code flags GFLS Registered London British flags. Owned by Watts Watts & Co Ltd.(managers)

MV Wendover same as above except built 1950 and code flags GFML
Old 16th June 2007, 14:08

Thank you Sparkie-Geoff-Billy,for your reply's & Information
on Watts Watts Co.
Thank you Gdynia for photo of Mv Woolwich it's agreat picture,
I really appreciate it.My first ship in MN.
Regards Artie
Old 16th June 2007, 14:13
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Artie
Your more than welcome
Old 17th June 2007, 14:23

Thank you R58484956 for the Info' on Watts Watts Co
Artie
Old 17th June 2007, 14:59
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

All part of the service we provide for each other. Thanks
Old 17th June 2007, 19:56
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
For Geoff Garrett, the MV Woosung was in fact the MV Woodford, in 1964 Mitsubishi Dockyard Engineers were surprised when thay came to alter the name as when they sliced the ---DFORD off the hull, the letters were found to be bronze and copper riveted to the hull, something of a dilemma I believe if memory serves that they were replaced with ---SUNG in bronze. The letters were polished, lacquered and edged in red.
A fabulous class of ships winners of the first ship to Montreal(?) on a couple(?) of occasions, silver topped canes all round!!
Yours aye,
Slick
Old 17th June 2007, 21:31
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

hi, my brother was on woolwich, i was on wanstead, can send full photos of woolwich, either by email or prints by post if you send address, stores.
Old 17th June 2007, 21:46
STORES

hi ,the 3 sold to china were of the wanstead class, totally different to woolwich, windsor and wokingham.they were wendover, woodford, wanstead, stores
Old 17th June 2007, 21:59
STORES

hi i have lots of photos of watts watts ships, over 40 different ships, about 100 photos, from 1905 to last one, allways willing to help anyone who requires a picture, maybe someone out there can help me aquire 2 i dont have, SAMOLAND AND FORT AUGUSTUS, both managed by watts watts in world war two, cheers, stores.
Old 17th June 2007, 22:52
Banned

"stores": Just a small point, the wanstead class were not "sold to china", they in fact maintained their British registry after being sold to London shipowners John Swire & Sons and for their wholly owned China Navigation Co.Ltd., being managed from their Hong Kong office.

Rgds,
Geoff.
Old 17th June 2007, 23:43

My location
i am sorry my post concerning captain harry freeland was not really on topic.....
but i just wanted to bring his memory to bear on a site he would have loved.
he served his time with blue funnel......but..... command was a "dead mans shoes" situation. harry was somewhat more ambitious than that.
he took a masters position with watts. watts and co....and sailed through w.w.2 with them.

at his funeral, the vicar produced an old ..."sepia" coloured piece of paper,given to him by harrys family, and explained that it was a letter of commendation from an american navy commodore....to harry, sent to him from the u.s. during the war years.
his ship was so shot up...in a dreadfull state ....upon reaching american waters from the u.k......that it was not considered possible by the u.s. navy for it to be seaworthy for the return to the u.k...repaired and loaded with vital supplies....in time for its alloted convoy back across the atlantic.
harry freeland made sure his ship was fully seaworthy.....loaded....and ready to sail.....as required.....(as anyone who knew him would have expected)....in time.....and ready to take the dangerous voyage home...irrespective of what was thrown at him and his ship.
this was what the letter was about......a real commendation.
between 1939 and 1945........he was sunk 6 times.

he later became port pilot in aden and rangoon........and subsequently settled in the u.k. as a teacher in a secondary modern school.
as a 11 y/o boy.......so keen to join the m.n.......he took me under his wing....and in his own time.....taught me navigation to G.C.E. O level....
which helped me gain entry to nautical college. as my eyesight was not 20/20
i became an r/o........but my love of navigation continues to this day.
i knew harry as an somewhat irrascible man.....not a sufferer of fools gladly.....when people talk of "a man of the old school" i always think of him.
and when others talk of some footballer or sportsman as a hero.....i also think of him...and his kind....for there were many.................and smile.

best regards to all

sparkie2182
Old 18th June 2007, 13:59
STORES

hi geoff, my mistake, i should have said china nav co, getting old and forgetful, i am a fairly new member and think this site is ace, the help given is great and the scource of information never ending, thanks, stores.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:39

Thanks Stores
Ive sent you PM message
Artie
Old 10th March 2008, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Garrett View Post
Hello Artie,
I have a photograph of MV Woosung, purchased from Watts Watts by The China Navigation Co.Ltd. and which I believe was the former Watts Watts Woolwich and in which I served as Chief Mate in 1972-73. CNCo in fact purchased 3 vessels of this class those being the renamed Woosung-Wenchow and Wanlui.

Formerly, Woolwich-Wendover-Wanstead, ugly sons of bitches, (for wont of better adjectives) but excellent cargo ships.

If this indeed is the vessel you are looking for then email me with your postal address and I shall work out some way of getting a copy of my Woosung to you.
Rgds,
Geoff G.
Hi Geoff
Just come across your comments. The Woosung was previously the Woodford. I was AB on the Woodford in 1951 when each man had his own cabin. I saw her at Mount Maunganui NZ as the Woosung around 1980. I said to one of the Hong Kong crewmen, what terrific accommodation. He did not know what I was talking about as they had turned the crew Quarters into cargo space created a small foc's'l.
Regards
Eric

Last edited by Eric Bennett; 10th March 2008 at 03:49.. Reason: Misspelling
Old 10th March 2008, 23:38
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
I sailed on two of Watts Watts ships, made two trips on the Willesden and one on the Beckenham. Good ships and crew,would of stayed with the company but I had a girl friend that wanted me to quit the sea and come home. Stores if you have any good pictures of these two ships would appreciated a copy,the ones I have are not too good as they both look as if they are in need of a paint job.

John.
Old 11th March 2008, 05:53
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
MV WOODFORD, prior to my joining her in 1964 I believe the Captain had been killed in the Philipines.
Can anyone fill in the details?,
Yours aye,
Slick
Old 11th March 2008, 21:22

hello all ex woodford's i sailed on her in 1962 during cuban crisis, was R/O and lived in a small eerie just below the bridge. liked the ship and the crew, though most of AB's disapeared ashore in the states. good captain.payed off in birkenhead drydock. never sailed on a ship like her afterwards and finally swallowed anchor in 1964 to become ships tech trudging round docks. pete
Old 17th March 2008, 10:58

I sailed on the Woodford when she was only one year old from 9th July1951 to 16th December 1951 trading from the Continent to Montreal. She was then the latest thing in freighters. Steel rolling hatches, electric winches with the controls side by side so that one man could work two winches at the same time, although the dock workers refused to do this. Each man had his own cabin with a bed rather than a bunk. There was a proper laundry and a cafeteria system with a choice of menus and an excellent Greek chef in place of an ordinary cook. Plenty of games like darts, table tennis etc; It was rumoured that this was all due to Mrs Watts, the wife of one of the shipowners as she reckoned that Merchant Seamen were getting a raw deal and were not recognised for the part they played during WW2. The only reason that I paid off, was that I could not stand the Eastern Canadian winters. Never saw a ship roll like her though.

Last edited by Eric Bennett; 17th March 2008 at 11:00.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 17th June 2008, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick View Post
All,
MV WOODFORD, prior to my joining her in 1964 I believe the Captain had been killed in the Philipines.
Can anyone fill in the details?,
Yours aye,
Slick
I sailed on the woodford I think it was 1961-2 I joined the ship in Genoa the Captain's name I think was Gilchrist he changed out with Cap Patteson ex rn the first mate was cyclone solomns that. was the year she opened the st lawrence river for trade in canada she then tramped the med. as for single bed cabins the catering boy were 4 in a cabin.tam123
Old 21st July 2008, 11:48

mv wendover

hi geoff i done my first trip in the Wendover March 1960 to April 1961

i also have a model of the Wendover i had it made some time ago.
also have you read a book called a deck boys diary all about mv Willesdon very good read, did you ever come accros a Capt Pierce who was the skipper of the Wendover.just abit of info
regards howard james