Ships Nostalgia banner

Andrew Weir Insurance

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  John Dryden 
#1 ·
Does anyone recall the facility for Bank Line sea staff to utilise Andrew Weir Insurance Company, based then at Bevis Marks I think, to get motor, buildings, contents and travel cover?

As I recall a sizeable discount was offered which persuaded me to use them for all my insurances during the 1970s and early 1980s. I wonder if the insurance business still exists?

#4 ·
I remember having to go to the Baltic Exchange to make a statement after a fire on one of the ships. The solicitor, an Bank Line employee whoese name escapes me and myself were entertained to lunch in "the golden trough." There were a few hydraulic sandwiches had. I commented to a superintendent on the next trip that perchance one of my fellow diners in the G.T. (not at our table) was a tad liberal in pouring his tipple. "Ah, that would be one of the blokes from the insurance department" was the reply. Must have been a tough job!!!

#7 ·
Did Andrew Weir not own Spink and Son - the coin dealers at one time - there appear links to Christies and Andrew Weir on Companies House. IIRC there used to be a yearly report sent round the ships about how the various areas of the Weir Empire were doing.

#8 ·
Don't know who actually owned Spinks,it was still a private company in my days in London.But yes Christies did buy it and later they were bought out by an US/Franco conglomerate called Artemis...one of those we buy any brand companies,they also own Chateau Latour and Converse shoes....
geoff

#12 ·
Ah! The penny has dropped. Yes I do remember insuring my P.E.s but that was where it stopped. Slightly off topic my old mate Duncan is correct about Spinks, they were mentioned frquently in the Bank Line magizine. I also remember a brilliant article in it where a member of the insurance staff was interviewed and she was able to tell about all the wierd and wonderful requests for insurance they got, such as someone wanting insurance against a person winning some manner of competition!

#13 ·
Speaking of unusual insurance requests. I was told some years ago after the Lottery was made legal in the UK that a number of companies were looking at 'Jackpot Insurance' to cover them in the event that a works(s) syndicate won big money and resigned en masse. I wonder whether it was true?

#15 ·
Andrew Weir's accounts department was a bit dodgy. When I paid off the Vives, (a MacAndrew boat) after one voyage as AB, my payslip, headed Andrew Weir & Co, had me down as Donkey Greaser, and paid me accordingly.
I never complained, it was significantly more than I expected, and I never heard from them since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.