P&O today - Ships Nostalgia
04:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

P&O today

User Tag List

Old 24th October 2015, 12:31

P&O today

How sad the yellow funnel has gone replaced with blue and a tacky emblem around the bow. The Britannia Ventura and Azura are nothing more than a modern day version of the 1960's holiday camps, thanks Carnival for spoiling the last of the classic cruise operators.
Old 24th October 2015, 13:13

Hi , Very well said, it has made an Icon shipping company now look like a third world ferry operator, typical carnival trash, I cancelled my cruise with P&O due to the trashy look, and will never use them again.
Chris.
Old 24th October 2015, 13:38

When you cancelled your cruise with them did you tell them why you had done this and, if so, what was their reaction?

Clive
Old 27th October 2015, 11:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1978 - 1981

All the P&O ships I sailed on, or even SAW, had blue funnels - with the P&O logo in white. That was in the 70's and early 80's though, and they looked smart. They were of course REAL ships carrying freight, rather than the floating hotels which is all that remains of P&O now (and even that is in name only!).
Old 27th October 2015, 12:56
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandane62 View Post
All the P&O ships I sailed on, or even SAW, had blue funnels - with the P&O logo in white.
In my time the cargo ships had white superstructure with black hulls and funnels and the passenger ships were painted all white with buff funnels. None had blue funnels, which were constrained to another company that is occasionally referred to on SN

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 27th October 2015, 14:26
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 2015

In 1992 I was on the Container Boat Aberdeen Bay (Ex Ortelious & Dal Kalahari) and both funnels were painted blue with P&O in white on top, was a shock to me when I rolled up in Dubai to join her as no one mentioned that it was to be a P&O charter.

Tony
Old 27th October 2015, 15:55

I have certainly criticised the new P&O Cruises livery, yes, it is cheap and tacky-looking. But really, does it matter that the company has chosen to dispense with the more traditional white hull and upper works and buff funnel in favour of red, white and blue and an interpretation of the Union flag? Yes, it is an ugly scheme but it is not as though it is being applied to classically beautiful liners that were built 50 or 60 years ago. It is a livery that is in fact well-suited to their present fleet.

Clive
Old 5th January 2016, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Hi , Very well said, it has made an Icon shipping company now look like a third world ferry operator, typical carnival trash, I cancelled my cruise with P&O due to the trashy look, and will never use them again.
Chris.
Also cancelled for same reason, poor service and a the holiday camp atmosphere P&O are generating . Feedback from P&O zero but that's the way they operate....
Old 5th January 2016, 21:18
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 1965

My location
The real P&O SN Co lasted from 1837until 2006, the white hull and yellow funnel for passenger ships only arrived in 1931 with the Strathnaver, the cargo ships retaining black hulls and funnels with stone superstructure. The evil light blue funnels etc that replaced the historic colours of the various P&O Group companies were short lived as will be Carnivore's in comparison with the original 169 years.

Ian
Old 6th January 2016, 21:25
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1974

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
Also cancelled for same reason, poor service and a the holiday camp atmosphere P&O are generating . Feedback from P&O zero but that's the way they operate....
What the hell do you expect when they fill the ship with a couple of thousand passengers all doing exactly the same thing. They end up catering for the lowest common denominator.
You see them in Mt Maunganui every time a big ship is in, filling the souvenir shops and buying trash, then dashing back to the ship in order not to miss lunch.
If you want a decent cruise why not book with one of the freighter companies.
Your missus may not enjoy it, but you probably will.

Regards Phil
Old 7th January 2016, 20:51
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 1965

My location
My grumpy comments at post #9 were aimed at Carnival's floating Butlin's camps. Carnival purchased and corrupted the cruising operation.

Dubai Ports bought the many shore based P&O operations plus the ferries. To their eternal credit they have developed that side and continued the excellent website that P&O SN CO built.

Ian
Old 15th January 2017, 21:39
Active: 1971 - 1975

My location
saw a doco on tv last night of when princess royal did a reveiw of 7 of P&O ships at southampton to celebrate their 175th anniversary.Does anyone know the 7 ships involved as they didnt name them.spotted oriana
Old 15th January 2017, 21:56
Active: 1971 - 1975

My location
its ok just found answer,ships were
azura,oceana,adonia
oriana
aurora,arcadia,ventura