New ACL vessels to be British flagged - Ships Nostalgia
17:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

New ACL vessels to be British flagged

User Tag List

Old 21st November 2015, 21:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
New ACL vessels to be British flagged

Just read that the latest class of ACL ships being built in China are to be British flagged.
Old 21st November 2015, 22:04

But will she be manned by a British crew? I doubt not
Old 21st November 2015, 22:14
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Perhaps I should dust off my Discharge Book and ID Card then?
Maybe I could get them updated in the Southampton MMO, then go to the Shipping Federation Pool in Canute Road and pick one up from there?
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:22

That's interesting, the Britannia ( P&O Cruises latest "creation" ) is also UK registered rest of the fleet being Bermuda.
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:00
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
That's interesting, the Britannia ( P&O Cruises latest "creation" ) is also UK registered rest of the fleet being Bermuda.
Rumour has it she'll be transferring to Bermuda in the near future, the UK registry merely being for PR purposes as the vessel was named by the Queen.

Jim
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:17
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
Perhaps I should dust off my Discharge Book and ID Card then?
Maybe I could get them updated in the Southampton MMO, then go to the Shipping Federation Pool in Canute Road and pick one up from there?
Hold up Dicky boy there,s a queue
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:07
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Eccleson View Post
Just read that the latest class of ACL ships being built in China are to be British flagged.
Atlantic Star to be registered in Liverpool and naming ceremony to be held in Liverpool when she arrives from China.
The new vesels will be managed by Bibby Ship Management.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...280817962.html

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 28th November 2015, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Rumour has it she'll be transferring to Bermuda in the near future, the UK registry merely being for PR purposes as the vessel was named by the Queen.
Maybe she should stay in Bermuda got to be the ugliest creation in P&O history know as a "cattle carrier" by some and is operated like a holiday camp with announcements the vessel may move about due to rough weather.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:09
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
There are some excellent photographs in the Gallery of Atlantic Star in Liverpool and Halifax on her maiden voyage. Quite a different profile from earlier generation vessels?
Old 8th January 2016, 14:35
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Exclamation I was on------

-----the two, G2, ACL ships, 'Atlantic Causeway' and 'Atlantic Conveyor', ('sunk' by Exocet in the Falklands), back in the late 60's, early/mid 70's.

They weren't bad-looking ships and had automated engine-rooms, (pneumatic automation), with the idea that they would be un-manned at night.

However Lloyds weren't too happy about this and the engine/control rooms were manned 24/7.

Mind you the idea of sleeping above two FW, 900 p.s.i. boilers, with no one looking after them didn't appeal to me much either!!! Phil
Old 10th January 2016, 22:07
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthechill View Post
-----the two, G2, ACL ships, 'Atlantic Causeway' and 'Atlantic Conveyor', ('sunk' by Exocet in the Falklands), back in the late 60's, early/mid 70's.

They weren't bad-looking ships and had automated engine-rooms, (pneumatic automation), with the idea that they would be un-manned at night.

However Lloyds weren't too happy about this and the engine/control rooms were manned 24/7.

Mind you the idea of sleeping above two FW, 900 p.s.i. boilers, with no one looking after them didn't appeal to me much either!!! Phil
Hello Phil, thought Conveyor & Causeway didnt have bridge control of turbines - so someone had to be in control room all the time, either engineer or mechanic. Or cadet in my case! Unless you were better employed standing on boiler top looking for non-existant air leaks!
But Port Chalmers/Caroline had bridge control of engines but still manned engineroom! Mahout pneumatics.
Dannic
Old 11th January 2016, 01:16
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Hello Phil, thought Conveyor & Causeway didnt have bridge control of turbines - so someone had to be in control room all the time, either engineer or mechanic. Or cadet in my case! Unless you were better employed standing on boiler top looking for non-existant air leaks!
But Port Chalmers/Caroline had bridge control of engines but still manned engineroom! Mahout pneumatics.
Dannic
The ACT Vessels had bridge control of the turbinesThe FW ESD boilers which were Siemens ABC combustion,but they were not UMS as there was no bilge alarms in the cargo holds or the brine room ,engineroom and the passage ways.

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 12th January 2016, 13:37
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
There is a good article on GCaptain today with photos of the G4 Atlantic Star passing under the Verrazano Narrows bridge at New York.