New Construction Polar expedition cruise vessel- advice needed. - Ships Nostalgia
18:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

New Construction Polar expedition cruise vessel- advice needed.

User Tag List

Old 15th August 2017, 23:30

New Construction Polar expedition cruise vessel- advice needed.

Good day all

When I first joined this forum 18 months ago I was an ABS Senior Surveyor working in Louisiana however now I am a partner in a company called 3D Marine which is based in Houston.

Our company has recently partnered with a US based polar expedition cruise company to supervise construction and subsequently manage a fleet of three polar expedition cruise vessels.

The ships will be relatively small, 200 passenger vessel with 113 crew but built to a high standard of comfort and safety, including compliance with SOLAS Safe Return to Port rules, the new IMO Polar Code and will be classed for Summer/autumn operation in medium first-year ice which may include old ice inclusions.

The ship will carry twin helicopters each with its own heliport and hangar plus a tourist submarine and an internal zodiac hangar with a telescopic gantry crane, side port doors and embarkation stairs to enable rapid deployment of up to 20 of the craft at once.

Im afraid I can be any more specific until September until the official announcement is made in September.

As you may know, the IMO Polar Code comes into force on the 1st Jan 2018 and its is written a rather non prescriptive way so is rather hard to comply with. The class society, yard, flag state and the lifeboat manufacturer are all in a state of confusion at the moment as they all try and work out the requirements.

The first question of many I have is have any of the members been involved in polar ship operations, either passenger shipping or otherwise and what advice would they give on practical solutions for winterizing a lifeboat and liferaft? In addition , I am looking for anybody who is involved with the construction of the Sir Richard Attenborough at Cammel Laird's so I can pick their brains regarding the solutions used for lifesaving equipment on that vessel.

Thanks in advance
Martin Gee
Turnbull Scott Engineer Cadet
Poplar Tech Class of 1983.
Old 18th August 2017, 16:38

I can't help with Polar ship operation, but the ship being built at Birkenhead is named after the naturalist and broadcaster Sir DAVID Attenborough, not his film making brother Sir (later Lord) Richard!
Old 21st August 2017, 08:28

interesting? what you have not concluded, is? The vessel to be navigated, and designed to cruise in a polar winter- maybe trapped in the ice cap, or is this a jolly jape, for people to spend money, cruising within the artic circle, during the northnern hemispheres summer, and then maybe the antartic summer/ for the rest of the commercial year?
Are you interested in life preservation for humans, or the ecological habitate surrounding the Polar ice caps??? I presume you are guided by history, as well as the green dollar$,or is this to be a research venture for scientific purposes.
Old 13th September 2017, 04:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1963 - 1976

Interesting! I was 4th Eng on MV Scotia in 1969 transiting St lawrence river in the winter. Scotia was built to Lloyds ice class 1. All DB tanks were steam heated. The main engine and generators could be cooled from the ballast tanks without using outside water. The rudder could be locked in the midships position by a large pin manually screwed down from the steering gear. This meant we could cut ice going astern.
All fire mains on deck were steam heated and circulated so they wouldn't freeze.
I'm sure there was other stuff that was installed but it's a long time ago.
Old 20th December 2017, 14:22

scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
Interesting! I was 4th Eng on MV Scotia in 1969 transiting St lawrence river in the winter. Scotia was built to Lloyds ice class 1. All DB tanks were steam heated. The main engine and generators could be cooled from the ballast tanks without using outside water. The rudder could be locked in the midships position by a large pin manually screwed down from the steering gear. This meant we could cut ice going astern.
All fire mains on deck were steam heated and circulated so they wouldn't freeze.
I'm sure there was other stuff that was installed but it's a long time ago.
I stood by the Scotia in Amsterdam while she was handed over to Neptune Lines and renamed Neptune Amber . Nice vessel built in Birkenhead. Can you remember the ports she used in Canada ? am interested as planning a cruise from Liverpool to that area. Never did a trip on her as such but sailed on Saxonia and Ivernia and a number of Brocks boats cheers John g