Konui &Waimati - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
10:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Konui &Waimati

User Tag List

Old 9th August 2008, 12:14

From Ray Lusty, Brisbane: I did most of my boys time on the Kaitawa in 61-62 then was on it as an AB later. .Got off it just a few months before it went down.Your right "old collier hand. there was some top guys on them.Had some great times,especially at Dirty dots in Westport.
I dont think I've ever seen any "character Pubs" like the "Bunch( Sydney) or Gleesons, Auckland".Pheew!!! Those Aussie runs were good humour.
Any of you guys know Les Hartley(Gig),messman, brother of John(the beard)an Ab in the 60's. Also Ray Miller AB, Jimmy wellsAB, Mike Mullholland,Dave Tickner,AB.
Theres others but its late and the ol brains, well u know.! I went ashore and moved to Oz in 1970 and I've lost touch with all the ole mates.
I ran into Lyndsay Hawkins,AB in Mackay Qld in 74.
Darrell(dinga) Bells came back here about 71 and we've stayed in close touch. He like me, is a multiple grandfather(Jeeeese! Time sure gets away.)I've worked as a Rigger since i've been in OZ. The last 28 as a Rigger/Crane Supervisor around Oz with a few stints o/seas
All these guys were shipmates in the 60's.If u know of them or can track them ,give us a bell.
Cheers,Lusty
Old 9th August 2008, 13:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY LUSTY View Post
From Ray Lusty, Brisbane: I did most of my boys time on the Kaitawa in 61-62 then was on it as an AB later. .Got off it just a few months before it went down.Your right "old collier hand. there was some top guys on them.Had some great times,especially at Dirty dots in Westport.
I dont think I've ever seen any "character Pubs" like the "Bunch( Sydney) or Gleesons, Auckland".Pheew!!! Those Aussie runs were good humour.
Any of you guys know Les Hartley(Gig),messman, brother of John(the beard)an Ab in the 60's. Also Ray Miller AB, Jimmy wellsAB, Mike Mullholland,Dave Tickner,AB.
Theres others but its late and the ol brains, well u know.! I went ashore and moved to Oz in 1970 and I've lost touch with all the ole mates.
I ran into Lyndsay Hawkins,AB in Mackay Qld in 74.
Darrell(dinga) Bells came back here about 71 and we've stayed in close touch. He like me, is a multiple grandfather(Jeeeese! Time sure gets away.)I've worked as a Rigger since i've been in OZ. The last 28 as a Rigger/Crane Supervisor around Oz with a few stints o/seas
All these guys were shipmates in the 60's.If u know of them or can track them ,give us a bell.
Cheers,Lusty
I only spent a short time on Kiwi coast in 69 in the Kurutai as A.B. also previous to that i was in the Kumalla on the Aussie coast a question for those who know, did any of the Aussie crewed ships run to Kiwi , i know the Kiwi ships ran to Aussie all the best to everyone
Old 10th August 2008, 13:31
Active: 1962 - 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
I only spent a short time on Kiwi coast in 69 in the Kurutai as A.B. also previous to that i was in the Kumalla on the Aussie coast a question for those who know, did any of the Aussie crewed ships run to Kiwi , i know the Kiwi ships ran to Aussie all the best to everyone
Hi Ray,
I sailed with Dave Tickner on the Wainui and Les Hartley on some other Union Company ship, don't know if I met you but I remember your name from those days.
If you take a look at my gallery you might recognise a few faces.
Dont forget to post any photo's you have of your time at sea, I'd love to see them.
Regards, Tony Conroy
Old 10th August 2008, 16:04

The Able Tasman was an Aus boat that used to trade to NZ,I can remember seeing her in picton(I think she was Aus , another multiple grandad here)theres a photo in the gallery of myself in football gear (Only time I played)with her in the background,There was a schooner also that used to run explosives over to the west coast ports

Last edited by billmaca; 10th August 2008 at 16:18..
Old 11th August 2008, 04:42

dom

the Karamu?? was Aussie crewed,ran from Sydney to wet windy Wellington early 60s
Old 11th August 2008, 11:03
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
the Karamu?? was Aussie crewed,ran from Sydney to wet windy Wellington early 60s
Thanks for that it looks like it was a bit one sided but great days and great times
Old 17th May 2012, 03:00

Konui

Hi Deerwaring.
I was on the Konui in 58
Jan 59/April 59. and again in I took over from Jimmy Hewit as bosun.
Cheers Des Taff Jenkins
Old 24th June 2012, 10:31
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Boyde View Post
Was it the Waimate that had two engines through couplings onto a single shaft ?
Jim B
I heard it referred to as a magnetic coupling between the engines and the shafts. Don't know how it worked though.
Old 24th June 2012, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch Boiler View Post
I heard it referred to as a magnetic coupling between the engines and the shafts. Don't know how it worked though.
WAIMATE was the first Britiish built ship to have them fitted although the WAIRATA had them
Old 27th October 2013, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmaca View Post
The Able Tasman was an Aus boat that used to trade to NZ,I can remember seeing her in picton(I think she was Aus , another multiple grandad here)theres a photo in the gallery of myself in football gear (Only time I played)with her in the background,There was a schooner also that used to run explosives over to the west coast ports
Gidday billmaca 237681 I remember the Abel Tasman she was an Oz flagged ship, was light green in colour, The schooner you were talking about could have been the " Piri " she was either run or owned by the DSIR or ICI. I was in the Kurutai in 1960 on the wheat run, the skipper was a capt sadler, he was known as " Scratchie **** Sadler, because he had wheat dermatitis. Any info on the Piri would be appreciated. Sharkie Price ex AB now living in the UK
Old 28th October 2013, 11:25

All I can remember about the schooner was that quite a few or the crew were Scandinavian or Dutch lads. We were two days running north and south of the bar at (Greymouth / Westport can't remember which)and she was a great sight charging along in the big swell, had a camera but never thought of taking a photo
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:04

pat scanlon was one of the AB,s killed on Kokiri
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:13
Active: 1950 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie Price View Post
Gidday billmaca 237681 I remember the Abel Tasman she was an Oz flagged ship, was light green in colour, The schooner you were talking about could have been the " Piri " she was either run or owned by the DSIR or ICI. I was in the Kurutai in 1960 on the wheat run, the skipper was a capt sadler, he was known as " Scratchie **** Sadler, because he had wheat dermatitis. Any info on the Piri would be appreciated. Sharkie Price ex AB now living in the UK
This may be a long shot.......were you Sharkie Price who was in the Union Co whare gang in Wellington, way back in the day ?
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Bill View Post
This may be a long shot.......were you Sharkie Price who was in the Union Co whare gang in Wellington, way back in the day ?
heers Kev Price @ sharkie
Gidday Kaiser Bill. Yes that was me I did work for the Union Coy, came to the UK in 1966. Still here Kevan Price @: Sharkie
Old 6th May 2018, 03:35
Active: 1957 - 1962

Hi, correct 'Butters' I did a trip on her, she was a twin screw and very hard to handle. Sold I belive to CSR, fitted with s/steel hold to carry suger. longest single hold ship in those days.
Ewen
Old 16th May 2018, 06:40

Anyone on here working on the Waimate in 1956?
Old 18th May 2018, 22:01
Active: 1957 - 1962

Hi Fran 345
The closest I can get to'56 was '59
Cheers
Ewen
Old 18th May 2018, 22:47

Thanks for your reply Ewan. My grandfather, Lionel Joyce, was with the USS Co, he disappeared from Waimate one night in 1956, in Otago harbour. It's assumed he fell overboard. Just wondering if anyone knew him, or remembers the story?

Cheers!
Old 23rd February 2019, 00:25

Hi Deerwaring
I was on the Konui in 59 with Jimmy Hewitt, he paid off in Auckland and went into hospital for stomach problems, I took over from him as Bosun. Jimmy went on to be the walking delegate on the Auckland wharfs.
Tugger Aka Des Taff Jenkins
Old 23rd February 2019, 05:21

Cheers Des, that’s a wee while ago 😉
Old 28th February 2019, 23:46

The Australian explosives schooner would have been the Wongala. A regular visitor to N.Z. ports. Owned by ICI doing the explosives. saw her several times at Shelly Bay, wellington.