Hello everyone, This is what I need help with - Ships Nostalgia
22:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello everyone, This is what I need help with

User Tag List

Old 7th February 2018, 01:39

Cool Hello everyone, This is what I need help with

First off, thank you for the addition to these pages, I appreciate it.
What has lead me here is a search for my Grandfather and his life on the sea.
His name was Ray Dalcom and he worked as a ship's Steward aboard ships that were ( I believe USSCo) I can confirm he was Chief Steward on the Waimarino just prior to its being sold, but would really like to find what other ships he worked on.
I remember being told that he had been a prisoner during WWII so I have focused on trying to find which ships lost crew. He was held prisoner by the Japanese so that may help.. otherwise I know next to nothing. I am hoping people could possibly help with where I can find crew list for New Zealand Ships. I have tried numerous places with no luck.

Thank you
Old 7th February 2018, 04:54
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost View Post
First off, thank you for the addition to these pages, I appreciate it.
What has lead me here is a search for my Grandfather and his life on the sea.
His name was Ray Dalcom and he worked as a ship's Steward aboard ships that were ( I believe USSCo) I can confirm he was Chief Steward on the Waimarino just prior to its being sold, but would really like to find what other ships he worked on.
I remember being told that he had been a prisoner during WWII so I have focused on trying to find which ships lost crew. He was held prisoner by the Japanese so that may help.. otherwise I know next to nothing. I am hoping people could possibly help with where I can find crew list for New Zealand Ships. I have tried numerous places with no luck.

Thank you
I assume he sailed with the Union steamship co of NZ and as he was a Japan POW there is a fair chance that he was on the Hauraki which was captured by Japanese warships and the crews interned in Singapore and in Japan . My thread "MV Hauraki - A World War Two story - contains crew lists so here's hoping .
I will try to find the old thread myself.

Bob
Old 7th February 2018, 05:02
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Sorry, Ray Dalcolm does not appear to be on Hauraki's list

Bob
Old 7th February 2018, 05:29

I have read yr thread Spongebob and no he was not on it. Although it did note the list was incomplete...however he must have been on a ship. I just need to find out which one...
Old 8th February 2018, 00:53
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 8th February 2018, 07:03

Awatea was sunk in North African landings but he was hardly likely to be a prisoner of the Japanese. There were also a couple of USSCo ships sunk off Australia East Coast.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:14

Further to #6 message. the Holm Line Holmwood was sunk close to Chatham Is and crew and passengers taken prisoner.

USSCo Komata sunk off Nauru Is.

Kalingo was sunk off NSW coast

Hauraki captured in Indian ocean, used as Japanese transport, sunk by US bombs much later.

A large number of prisoners were landed on Esperitu Santos from German raiders and forced to sign they would take no further action during the war. New Zealanders involved.

Sorry my memory is very hazy these days with exact and complete information.
Old 8th February 2018, 20:34

Thank you for yhe other possible ships; I guess there is even more tesearch in my near future..I have already gotten an almost full list for the Hauraki and no sign of Pop..so the search continues..huge help for additional possibilities...?