Wartime history - Ships Nostalgia
17:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Wartime history

User Tag List

Old 8th March 2018, 09:37

Wartime history

Dear All,

Although a history of the services of the line in the First World War was published, (The Union-Castle and the War, 1914-1918, by E. F. Knight, illustrations by Edmund F. Fuller, privately printed, 1920) I can find no trace of any such history of the Union-Castle Line's services in the Second World War. Is this correct? If it is, which of the other fleet histories that have been published best covers the period from 1939-45?
Old 8th March 2018, 14:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

A diversion for which I apologise, E F Knight was the author of some very interesting accounts of long voyages in small sail boats and influenced Arthur Ransome and Erskine Childers (author of "Riddle of the sands", executed for alleged gun running to Ireland).
Old 8th March 2018, 15:26

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehm View Post
Dear All,

Although a history of the services of the line in the First World War was published, (The Union-Castle and the War, 1914-1918, by E. F. Knight, illustrations by Edmund F. Fuller, privately printed, 1920) I can find no trace of any such history of the Union-Castle Line's services in the Second World War. Is this correct? If it is, which of the other fleet histories that have been published best covers the period from 1939-45?
How about 'The Union Castle Chronical'?

MWD.
Old 8th March 2018, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD View Post
How about 'The Union Castle Chronical'?

MWD.
I was hoping someone was going to recommend that ahead of the more recent publications (which I do not currently own). Thank you!
Old 12th March 2018, 09:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Visit this page : http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page4749.html

Then click on the link to the vessel you wish to view.
Old 12th March 2018, 10:22

Thank you, Chris.
Old 7th September 2018, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehm View Post
Dear All,

am not sure when this thread was started - but the union castle chronicles by marischal murray covers the service in both wars extensively chapter 16 covers 1st ww and chapetrs 19 and 20 2nd ww
Attached Images
File Type: jpg union castle chronicle.jpg (108.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg contents.jpg (84.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 7th September 2018, 16:55

There is also "Mailships of the Union Castle Line" by C.J. Harris and Brian D. Ingpen published by Fernwood Press in 1994. However, it only deals with the Mailships where Chapter 5 titled The Second World War gives a quite comprehensive account of their activities.
Old 7th September 2018, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestar View Post
There is also "Mailships of the Union Castle Line" by C.J. Harris and Brian D. Ingpen published by Fernwood Press in 1994. However, it only deals with the Mailships where Chapter 5 titled The Second World War gives a quite comprehensive account of their activities.
thank you for the feed back - i do have the book - appreciate the feedback though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mailships.jpg (100.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th September 2018, 14:26

My thanks to you both. I do have a copy of the Union-Castle Chronicle, which is good as far as it goes, but I like the idea of "a quite comprehensive account" of the mailships' war. Bang goes another twenty quid!