Ships Nostalgia banner

Counties Ship Management Co Ltd,

20K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Rathbane123 
#1 ·
I served my apprenticeship with "Counties" between 1953 and 1958 and there must be many other SN subscribers who have served with this company. Is there anybody there ?!!!!!
NB MV London Banker and SS Akti Hill.

#7 ·
Hi Bruce, well you were a bit later than me (1953-1958), the 2 ships I sailed in were a Doxford economy (London Banker ex Tower Hill) and the Akti Hill, ex Fort La Cloche. Maybe by your time they had modernised...had they? I well remember that the Akti Hill was badly corroded, my fellow apprentice and I spent many hours using a windy hammer on tne hatch coamings, the decks and the tween deck. Thats why my hands shake now.......well thats my excuse!
Dave 437

#8 ·
I was interested to read your CV. I served on the London Banker from 1951 to 1953, as 3rd and 2nd Mate, leaving her on the London river in July 1953, to sit for my 1st Mates ticket. The Master at that time was Captain Newton, but he was being relieved by Captain W.D. McKenzie, who appeared to be the permanent Master of that ship. I recall the ship had a big hole in the bow, suitably patched with concrete and a steel plate welded around the hole, sustained in Dijoubti, whilst on our way out to Indo China. I understood that she had been sold to Purvis shipping of Newcastle and was to be renamed Avisbank?
Geoff Baskerville

#13 ·
A friend of mine is preparing a talk on the loss of the ss Barn Hill due toi enemy action and her wrecking near Eastbourne in WW2. He is desperately seeking a photo of her in service or in previous ownership as ss Canadian Challenger.
Can anyone help please? I have found one picture already on SN of her wrecked and on fire http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/101733/title/tramp-steamer-/cat/523 but it would be nice also to have one of her in service.

#23 ·
Fort Capot River, built by N Vancouver Ship Repairs (I think it was "Repairs"). She was renamed Haligonian Duke--Canadian Flag, British crew and therein lay a problem with the Australian unions. The cargo we took to Melbourne was coal, imported because the miners were on strike. All good stuff, we lay at Victoria Dock for five months. In the end, the RAN discharged us, swinging the cargo grabs around until there was not an undamaged ventilator in sight! The crew got Canadiuan pay, in the end, but not before a lot of them had been carted off to gaol. They were replaced by others who had, probably jumped previous ships. Soon afterwards she was renamed Notting Hill. I served all my time on that one ship, the last nine months being the best months I spent as an apprentice.

She sank after a collision off the Spanish coast, after having been sold to another owner.

#25 ·
Hi, I'm keen to learn absolutely anything about the Woldingham Hill. Five years ago I made a presentation to the local history society about Woldingham's connections with the sea. I had found three ships including the Woldingham Hill. So I have the general idea and some photos but not really any details eg of routes she sailed, her personnel, etc. I'd be glad to hear from you!

#26 ·
I was, also, 3rd mate of Woldingham Hill. I think I joined in '53. I remember that I was in an Avonmouth hotel, waiting for her, when Stalin died.
Robson was Master.

The voyages were, loading in Antwerp, final discharge in Saigon, with various ports in between, on a Messageries Maratimes charter. Then, across the Pacific to Vancouver, loading grain and a deck cargo of timber to Manchester.

2nd voyage, Antwerp to Saigon again, Vancouver and same cargo again but, this time, Capetown, Durban, Beira. Thence, in ballast to Takaradi loading ore for Liverpool.

Then I paid off and went up for Mate's Cert.. If you want exact dates I'll have to fish out my discharge book.

I consider myself very fortunate. The ports were great and I got just the right sea time in for Mate's exam. I was not so fortunate on Notting Hill. 22 months, one voyage, most of it spent on the Indian Coast coal run ie. Calcutta to Colombo. Such was the nature of life in Counties, tipical trampship stuff.

#27 ·
I was offered the mates job on the Denmark Hill when registering unestablished on the pool at Liverpool. The ink wasn't quite dry on my mates certificate.
The story I was given by the guy behind the desk was the ship was taking a full load of scrap out to Japan and the ship was then to be scrapped there too. When I asked if it was a run agreement and was informed no two year articles, I declined the offer much to his disappointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.