BP female Navigation Cadets - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
20:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP female Navigation Cadets

User Tag List

Old 21st June 2013, 13:32

Plymouth merchant navy students

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
All females were uniformly referred to as "box" and the equivalent term for the spot the grot was "brown bagging" - as in you would need to disguise the unfortunate woman with one.

I did tell you that my classmates were infantile toads.
The cadets in uniform (or penguins as a lot of other students called them) weren't actually the only infantile ones. I went on to work in another industry being the only female amongst 2 shifts of male engs (abouth 12 on each) and one of the married ones used to refer to woman as a 5 pint one, six pint one ten pint one etc. That was an indication of how many pints he would need in him to, putting it unsmuttily, engage with the woman.

I don't think a lot of the other students were particularly impressed with the men in the Nav school main accomadation block when around 72 time (and I had a bedsit just up the road) by the station would lean out of the windows in their uniform wolf whistling at any female that passed. I considered it an irritation some would sound off about how immature they were.

I can remember the year before (1971-1972) (and I didn't agree with the behaviour of these students) I was at the Martins Gate Annex on an A level biology course. Two rather immature ex public school males started messing around at break time. I unfortunately had stayed on to finish some work. One of them picked up a bright yellow formaldahyde soaked rat he had been dissecting and threw it at the other. It missed and behind him was a window which was unfortunately open directly above the small back yard where the penguiins were having smokoe/fresh air. It would have landed amongst them if not on one of them. The two students thought it was hilarious until a few minutes later one of their crusty lecturers came storming in and gave the three of us hell. I was nothing to do with it! So not everyone was impressed with them.
Old 21st June 2013, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKnight View Post
Fm Lucy Knight

Can't remember the name of that bar now John. I don't think I wanted to. I had been in the large modern 'working man's (several floors) club first with a crowd, and the lecki (who had Westcountry and Plymouth connections) had arranged that all of us would join up at this bar. Apparently he couldn't believe the proportions of the barmaid (trying to express it unsmuttily). That was the reason later given for ending up there............

Lucy
Lucy, Just found your reply to my question.

I'm guessing the pub with the Trannies in Newcastle was The Star. It closed in 1979 and there was a riot with supposedly about 4000 people involved, cop cars burnt and all sorts. Remember Cold Chisel? They made a record about it. The couple who ran the pub went to another one later on, on the Bank Corner, and it became a similar venue.

The Workers Club that you mention was close to the epicenter of the Newcastle earthquake in 1989 and was demolished. Ten people were killed in the building.

Sounds like you had a torrid time at sea. What can I say? Those stupid pranks were pulled on everyone, but I suppose they got a bit carried away with a rare female.

Those "Spot the Grot" do's I knew as "Ugly Duck Parties" and, although I wasn't perfect, I can safely say I never had anything to do with them. Not very funny when the victims realised what was going on!

Interesting to read about your Church visit in Westernport. Never heard of a ship's crew doing that, although it sounds like some of them could do with a bit of absolution.

John T
Old 21st June 2013, 19:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKnight View Post
Nina

I did go to one one half was down Union St. with some people that was a pick up joint in the days when the RN sailors wore uniforms in the evening.
If you look on Google maps for Union Street - on the left hand side about 1/4 of the way down towards Stonehouse, there is a large, old boarded up building called 'The Palace Theatre' .... I think that was one of the very busy pick-up places!

The guy on Phase 3 with me used to have a mini - and we would get fish & chips then go over to Jennycliff car park, sit there to eat the fish & chips and he would then switch on his mega Siebe spotlights that were on the front .. thus illuminating countless naked backsides pointing skywards in the back of all the pick-up cars!
Needless to say we then left at great speed!

Sad or what!
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:57

Union street Plymouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
If you look on Google maps for Union Street - on the left hand side about 1/4 of the way down towards Stonehouse, there is a large, old boarded up building called 'The Palace Theatre' .... I think that was one of the very busy pick-up places!

The guy on Phase 3 with me used to have a mini - and we would get fish & chips then go over to Jennycliff car park, sit there to eat the fish & chips and he would then switch on his mega Siebe spotlights that were on the front .. thus illuminating countless naked backsides pointing skywards in the back of all the pick-up cars!
Needless to say we then left at great speed!

Sad or what!
I remember going to the Old Palace Theatre (whatever they renamed it as once). That was enough. I also remember going to the place when it was a theatre and seeing a ballet performance when I was very young. Bit of a difference.
Old 22nd June 2013, 17:42
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1986

The Palace theatre, wasn't this the Mecca in 1977?

Bob
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:28
Active: 1972 - 1979

I went googling to try for any pics etc of union street in the 70s and found little of use. There is this film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8HeMYglHt0 apparently shot by a drunk 5-year old and in terrible condition or badly digitised. I think there is a fleeting glimpse of a cadet in uniform in Drakes Circus at about 4m20s.
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:21

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post
The Palace theatre, wasn't this the Mecca in 1977?

Bob
I think it was Bob - good shout!

Some info about places here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Street,_Plymouth

Good shot here of the old railway bridge: http://www.flickr.com/photos/didbygraham/288407193/

.... and good old Sam Fenecks, the uniform shop: http://lh3.ggpht.com/BkJbSGDE3Oo9F6O...Bm5KB7KT3=s320
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:28
Active: 1974 - 1986

Quote:
I thought it might be, I vaguely remember going there one night with my wife and a few others on the Marine Electronics Course, we never went again!

One thing I couldn't get used to in Plymouth was all the fish and chip shops closing early evening. Here, up North, they were open until about 23:30 to catch the trade at pub closing time. The only chippy we could find open at that time of night was on Union Street, this one had metal grills fitted on the counter with just enough gap to pass the fish and chips through. That was my first insight as to what Union Street could be like at night!

Bob
Old 23rd June 2013, 22:31
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Was at Plymouth Tech from August - December 1966 with half a dozen other MIMCo technicians. We went drinking on Union Street almost every night, without ever encountering any problems at all. A couple of times we saw the Shore Patrol collecting the odd Navy type around pub closing time - usually near the taxi office - but nothing more.

After the pubs closed we normally went on to the Victoria Club (?) somewhere on the Hoe, which didn't close until 2 a.m. Today I cannot imagine how the hell we managed to get to lectures on time.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 25th June 2013, 14:06

Newcastle NSW

There was also a venue in Newcastle (big hall with stage) that had some act on each evening. One of them was a sort of folk evening (a cross between English Folk and waltzing Matilda that everyone jigged aound the hall to. Quite good fun.

Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Lucy, Just found your reply to my
question.
I'm guessing the pub with the Trannies in Newcastle was The Star. It closed in 1979 and there was a riot with supposedly about 4000 people involved, cop cars burnt and all sorts. Remember Cold Chisel? They made a record about it. The couple who ran the pub went to another one later on, on the Bank Corner, and it became a similar venue.

The Workers Club that you mention was close to the epicenter of the Newcastle earthquake in 1989 and was demolished. Ten people were killed in the building.

Sounds like you had a torrid time at sea. What can I say? Those stupid pranks were pulled on everyone, but I suppose they got a bit carried away with a rare female.

Those "Spot the Grot" do's I knew as "Ugly Duck Parties" and, although I wasn't perfect, I can safely say I never had anything to do with them. Not very funny when the victims realised what was going on!

Interesting to read about your Church visit in Westernport. Never heard of a ship's crew doing that, although it sounds like some of them could do with a bit of absolution.

John T
Old 25th September 2013, 14:26

Union St

There was also a nightclub in Union Street (originally Gaumont Cinema in 1931) which in latter years was the Millennium Complex nightclub. This might be the one you were referring to rather than the Old Palace Theatre. That was down the road from the Old Palace theatre. Today's evening Herald features both. The former Millennium Complex is undergoing a religious transformation and becoming GOD TV, a TV station wtih a 1400 seater venue which will reach 250 million homes world wide. So as well as street pastors mingling with the night clubbers religion will be competing too. You can take a virtual tour of the building with the paper's 'Online today'. There is also a picture of the former 'Palace Theatre (nearer the city centre end) on the Your Say page. You should be able to access it today on the Plymouth Evening Herald site.

Quote:

Some info about places here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Street,_Plymouth

Good shot here of the old railway bridge: http://www.flickr.com/photos/didbygraham/288407193/

.... and good old Sam Fenecks, the uniform shop: http://lh3.ggpht.com/BkJbSGDE3Oo9F6O...Bm5KB7KT3=s320
Old 25th September 2013, 14:42

My location
Of course ... any knowledge of Union Street is totally hearsay on my part, I never frequented that part of town!
Old 25th September 2013, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
I sailed with a Skipper by the name of Rachel on Wightlink. She'd been there for quite a few years. Now works as an Admiralty Pilot in Pompey.
She did a few years service with BP. I don't know if she was a cadet with 'em but she would be about the right age I guess.
I don't know her maiden name.
Rachel served with Shell not BP but you are quite right, she is now an Admiralty Pilot in Pompey.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:04

. The BSF wheeled me round several companies, including ones

nina bake[/QUOTE]

Did that wheeling involve turning up at college open days? I have the somewhat distant recollection of a dapper and very helpful BSF manager/co-ordinator. I recall a young woman 70/71 trying to get a deck apprenticeship. At 16 I got myself into a 'discussion' with a Captain Johnson(funny how the name is remembered down through the years). The subject of the discussion was the young lady who seconds before had been at my elbow as I sat in front of that captain(superintendent). I argued that women should be recruited and he regarded me somewhat scathingly, akin to the look captain Mainwaring reserves for private Pike in Dad's Army.

I would like to think that time proved me right but I think Captain Johnson may have been right. After many years in a male environment I returned to work in our 'glorious' Civil Service. The empowered women seem to be bitchy, vicious, spiteful and vindictive.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:19
Active: 1973 - 1980

Anybody remember anything about BSF open days. I went to one in London - end of 1972, beginning of 73. No idea where it was held - any clues? Wish I had taken pics. All the shipping companies represented - most of which are now no more! Only company interested in women were BP - they were very nice to me from what I recall. At that stage, they had employed Nina, and already had Anne, Liz and Vanessa lined up for 1973 and took me to make up the four!
Old 25th September 2013, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareT View Post
Anybody remember anything about BSF open days. I went to one in London - end of 1972, beginning of 73. No idea where it was held - any clues? Wish I had taken pics. All the shipping companies represented - most of which are now no more! Only company interested in women were BP - they were very nice to me from what I recall. At that stage, they had employed Nina, and already had Anne, Liz and Vanessa lined up for 1973 and took me to make up the four!
Hi Clare,
Nice to meet at last, albeit electronically. I did sail with Vanessa in the Osprey but she was the only female cadet I met in my whole time at sea.

I harassed everyone I could think of between about 1967-71. I went to BSF open days, but cannot remember where. Surely there wouldnt have been space in their London offices. I went to an open day for Furness Withy on one of their ships down the London docks and I went to an open day of some sort held at the Tower Hill Nautical college. I wrote to the various 'sea schools' to no avail of course, and have letters I got back from various shipping companies who thought I wanted to be a purser. Somewhere in the chaos here there is a folder of letters, which might say about open days. I will have to go digging.

One of the things I recall well was the very old fashioned nature of the dockland area around the BSF office, which even in the late 60s seemed something of a relic of a byegone age. Downstairs was a large open room where the ratings went to get jobs. Cadet applicants and officers were upstairs as was the place where the eyetests and medicals were done. My eyesight was never the best and it took me more than one test to get a pass. I wonder if it is still done in that way nowadays with those minute pin pricks of green white and red light in a totally blacked out room.

BP were always very nice to me and even asked me back after I went off to Bibby's. They turned pretty nasty to all their employees not all that long after, when the night of the long knives arrived.

all the best
nina
Old 25th September 2013, 23:36

Pic of Vanessa Birtwistle, Nina Baker & Bob (?) on Br Osprey. Posed for a series of press pix taken by the Daily Telegraph for a feature tehy did about us. Ghastly embarassment.
n
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nina_0018 sm.jpg (70.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 26th September 2013, 10:23

My location
Quote:
Pic of Vanessa Birtwistle, Nina Baker & Bob (?) on Br Osprey. Posed for a series of press pix taken by the Daily Telegraph for a feature tehy did about us. Ghastly embarassment.
n
EMBARASSMENT? Look at her now! A woman of substance!
Old 26th September 2013, 14:27

woman at sea

Quote:
Hi Clare,
Nice to meet at last, albeit electronically. I did sail with Vanessa in the Osprey but she was the only female cadet I met in my whole time at sea.

I harassed everyone I could think of between about 1967-71. I went to BSF open days, but cannot remember where. Surely there wouldnt have been space in their London offices. I went to an open day for Furness Withy on one of their ships down the London docks and I went to an open day of some sort held at the Tower Hill Nautical college. I wrote to the various 'sea schools' to no avail of course, and have letters I got back from various shipping companies who thought I wanted to be a purser. Somewhere in the chaos here there is a folder of letters, which might say about open days. I will have to go digging.

One of the things I recall well was the very old fashioned nature of the dockland area around the BSF office, which even in the late 60s seemed something of a relic of a byegone age. Downstairs was a large open room where the ratings went to get jobs. Cadet applicants and officers were upstairs as was the place where the eyetests and medicals were done. My eyesight was never the best and it took me more than one test to get a pass. I wonder if it is still done in that way nowadays with those minute pin pricks of green white and red light in a totally blacked out room.

BP were always very nice to me and even asked me back after I went off to Bibby's. They turned pretty nasty to all their employees not all that long after, when the night of the long knives arrived.

all the best
nina
Strange what you said about BP asking you back Nina just before they turned nasty. After I left CP ships and was working for Television Southwest the electronic supt asked me if I wanted my job back just under 2 yrs later. After 2 yrs away I would have had to revalidate part of the radio tick (morse regs) I went up to the office but decided against it. There seemed to be a mess up, the personnel manager who was supposed to see me had gone to a funeral. After a long chat with the supt and think I decided to stay put even though I wasn't happy away from the sea. Then the same happened to CP with there ships being sold off so I wouldn't have had a job for long if I had returned. What a pity they drove me out in the first place. It doesn't really make up for it when you've made your bed in another place and you get stirred up again.
Old 4th February 2014, 17:26

Female Deck Cadets

When I was 2/E on the British Neath in 1975 I sailed with Joanna White. I was on the bridge for some reason when the agents launch was approaching the ship. The Old Man, ( Can't remember his name ), asked the launch to confirm who was on board, as the list he had only had the initials and family names of the new comers. When the launch named MISS Joanna White, the Old Man asked for an urgent repeat and when he got it, he groaned and turned to me and said now we are in the s--t !!

However, Joanna turned out to be a very pleasant girl and worked hard. I remember the C/O sent her the ER for her first work experience without telling me or the C/E. When I arrived in the ER Control Room, she was standing in the workshop surrounded by all the day work engineers, ( UMS vessel ), looking very bewildered.

I paid off shortly after Joanna joined the vessel and I don't know what happened to her.
Old 4th February 2014, 17:45

My location
Interesting to read comments about BP turning nasty etc - I never suffered any problems during my spell with them-

Joined in Sept 1972 and after the 2 week induction course in Plymouth, off I went to sea!
Remained with them until February 1977 when I failed my Mates writtens and was advised that there was soon to be a clear-out so if I fancied leaving before the flood of BP personnel on the open market, then I could. This I did and they fixed me up with a great UK branch of a Hong-Kong based ship management company.
The only names I remember having dealings with were good old Stuart Le Fevere and Brian Elliott in the Cadet department - and I think Jim Robinson for 2nd Mates.
During my time with BP I had my tonsils out and slipped a disc in my neck whilst at sea - they arranged all medical transport and repatriation (1st class) etc, courtesy of a Pam Muller.

When I left BP my pension was transferred to the MNOPF - and when I left the MN it was transferred to the Sun Alliance on the advice of an adviser in Rowbothams - just qualified to draw it and have no complaints!

All in all - a good time was had.
Old 4th February 2014, 21:43
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by jep1916 View Post
When I was 2/E on the British Neath in 1975 I sailed with Joanna White. I was on the bridge for some reason when the agents launch was approaching the ship. The Old Man, ( Can't remember his name ), asked the launch to confirm who was on board, as the list he had only had the initials and family names of the new comers. When the launch named MISS Joanna White, the Old Man asked for an urgent repeat and when he got it, he groaned and turned to me and said now we are in the s--t !!

However, Joanna turned out to be a very pleasant girl and worked hard. I remember the C/O sent her the ER for her first work experience without telling me or the C/E. When I arrived in the ER Control Room, she was standing in the workshop surrounded by all the day work engineers, ( UMS vessel ), looking very bewildered.

I paid off shortly after Joanna joined the vessel and I don't know what happened to her.
Hi J,

I know a few things about Joanna White, the earliest info I had on her was Progress NC 1977 so your Neath info put her more closely at 1974/5 intake .
I have a selection of her ships as NC to1978. She was a BP 3M 2/1980 and remained that rank for a few years. The last knowledge I have of her at present was she was 2M of the Tamar during the Falklands campaign.
I hear good things about her, as far as I know she did not marry a BP Deck Officer, quite a few did!
She is another female ex NC I would like to meet

Graham
Old 5th February 2014, 00:53

Quote:
Interesting to read comments about BP turning nasty etc - I never suffered any problems during my spell with them-

Joined in Sept 1972 and after the 2 week induction course in Plymouth, off I went to sea!
Remained with them until February 1977 when I failed my Mates writtens and was advised that there was soon to be a clear-out so if I fancied leaving before the flood of BP personnel on the open market, then I could. This I did and they fixed me up with a great UK branch of a Hong-Kong based ship management company.
The only names I remember having dealings with were good old Stuart Le Fevere and Brian Elliott in the Cadet department - and I think Jim Robinson for 2nd Mates.
During my time with BP I had my tonsils out and slipped a disc in my neck whilst at sea - they arranged all medical transport and repatriation (1st class) etc, courtesy of a Pam Muller.

When I left BP my pension was transferred to the MNOPF - and when I left the MN it was transferred to the Sun Alliance on the advice of an adviser in Rowbothams - just qualified to draw it and have no complaints!

All in all - a good time was had.
Almost entirely ditto! As I started a couple of months before you, I wonder why it is that my Discharge book number is higher than yours??? Did different ports hold batches of numbers perhaps?

nina
Old 5th February 2014, 08:50
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
As I started a couple of months before you, I wonder why it is that my Discharge book number is higher than yours??? Did different ports hold batches of numbers perhaps?

nina
Yes, that was the conclusion reached on another thread (some time ago).

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...+number&page=7

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 5th February 2014, 09:09

My location
From reading those postings I guess so Nina & Ron!

A slight error in my posting - my first one was actually issued in Plymouth on 16 September 1970, not 1972 as I stated (that was the date my 'new' British Seamans Card {076004} was issued!), with the newer Discharge Book being issued on 25 October 1972 in London (Thames)