Nautical Terms E-H - Ships Nostalgia

Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Nautical Terms E-H

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Old 27th September 2007, 19:39
michaelF michaelF is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1968 - 1993
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
Nautical Terms E-H

Discussion thread for Nautical Terms E-H. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button
Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 20:31
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Deck
Active: 1984 - Present
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 570
Fish Plate (2 to 3 Inch Strip of steel around the decks) / Fitch (Small Brush) / Falls (Lifeboat) / Fairlead / Fiddley (Gratings or ladders) / Frame / Funnel / Fashion Plate (Forcastle head to Main Deck curved plate) / Flying Bridge /

Garboard Strake / Goosenecks / Galley / Gunport Doors /

Hatch / Hawse Pipe / Hold /

I can't think of many more at the moment, but I'm sure there are loads Andy
Champion Barbed Wire Hurdler...Until my Tragic Accident
Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 01:02
benjidog benjidog is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
My location
Posts: 17
Thanks for the list Andy.

For the benefit of a dumb IT bloke (me!) could you have a shot at defining those terms in a bit of detail and I will add them to the Guide.


Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 10:23
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998
Join Date: Jul 2007
My location
Posts: 748
Handy -Billy......Simple single sheave block and tackle (or was it double at the top ?)
Hove - to ....putting the vessel in the safest steaming position in bad weather

Hard aback.....Sailing man's equivalent of a hand brake
Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 11:18
Steve Woodward Steve Woodward is offline  
Join Date: Sep 2006
My location
Posts: 1
Handy Billy, small purchase consisting of a single and a double block with either hooks or short rope tails for ease of attachment.
Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 23:14
mcgurggle mcgurggle is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
My location
Posts: 447
Holiday - A gap in a paint job. ie. Did you go on holiday & forget where you left off?
Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 22:23
Splinter Splinter is offline  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 632
Holy stone, a block of sand stone, fixed to a handle and was used to scub wooden decks.
Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 23:25
James MacDonald James MacDonald is offline  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
My location
Posts: 277
Haliard,Hauling part
Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 02:16
cryan's Avatar
cryan cryan is offline  
C Ryan
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 401
gadget - a cadet
greaser - e/r rating above wiper.
gob eye or gob rope -device for moving the towing point of a tug low and aft
hawse pipe - pipe which carries anchor cable overboard.
hawser - large rope used for towing
Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 23:03
Dutchy62 Dutchy62 is offline  
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 42
Flinders bar - metal bar attached to the front of the binnacle to counter the effect on the magnetic compass of the ships superstructure, particularly the funnel. Also
Kelvin's balls, metal spheres attached to the sides of the binnacle to correct other magnetic compass errors.
Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 05:10
Old Janner Old Janner is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994
Join Date: Mar 2009
My location
Posts: 1,233
Flit Gun (standard pump spray used for spraying insecticide over cockroaches)
Fiddley's (sides of tables that could be draw up to help keep plates on tables in bad weather, )
Fiddley Bars / "Storm bars" (metal interlocking bars to keep pots and pans on the stove during bad weather)
Fridge Board (Wodden slatted boards used in refrigerated storage places to allow air to circulate around the products)
Grummit, spliced rope ring (I may be corrected)
Gangway, a device for walking on between ship and shore, known later as a BOT Gangaway, (I am sure somebody will elaborate on that)
Hatch, an opening in the deck or in a bulkhead
Gear, a bag of tools or clothes, as used in (I am going to get my gear)
Flag, Coloured materials flown from masts to signal various states of the ship (under pilot, Quarantine etc) Not Ensigns.
Ensign, is a flag that indicates the countrys indentity, normaly flown from the aft end of a ship. (somebody may have other ideas we will see)
Thats all for now, not bad after my first cup of tea.

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nautical Terms Q-T kjm SN Directory Discussion 153 22nd March 2012 08:47
Nautical Terms A-D jock paul SN Directory Discussion 2 3rd November 2007 17:45
Nautical Terms U-Z plasma SN Directory Discussion 0 20th September 2007 13:49

Support SN

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.