Hello Palm liners one and all. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello Palm liners one and all.

User Tag List

Old 19th June 2006, 14:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

Ron (Aldinga)
Many thanks for the photograph of the "Burutu Palm", it is much appreciated.
Peter Baker.
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:53

Bamenda Palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmina man View Post
Just came across this wonderfull site in Ships Monthly, couldnt believe The Palm line port of the site, my father was at sea with Palm line from the 50's up untill he retired in the late 70's with ill health. I was a very lucky lad as i used to spend all my school holidays aboard Palm line ships, all over the Uk and europe. As a Purser- Cheif steward, he would often be on either relief or just back from West Africa and i would have a school holiday. Been aboard most of the fleet up to and including the Africa palm aquired in the early 70's.
My dads fave was the Elmina Palm hence the name tag, but mine was a close thing between the Bamenda and the Andoni palm.
I am just happy to be aboard, and if my Dad is looking down from his office aboard Heavenly palm, i am sure he will be smiling, or opening a bottle of capt morgans rum, or both!
The Bamenda Palm was the first ship that I went deep sea on as a junior engineer in 1963
Old 24th March 2007, 13:58

Aldinga (Ron),
Ihave only just realised that I have never thanked you for the photo of the "Burutu Palm".
Please accept my regrets and my belated gratitude for your efforts.
Peter Baker.
Old 25th March 2007, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie B View Post
ps I've got an elephant table - wedding present from one of the ships
Now there's something, we used to purchase these in Takoradi, Ghana. I have one with a carved top showing croc's, mud hud huts, palms, etc., coffee table size. in 1978 I paid two 1 notes, four bars of Lux soap and a tube of colgate for it.

I wrapped it in blankets whilst on the African coast, unwrapping it like 'pass-the-parcel' every few days as we travelled north, to try to prevent warping. It worked to some degree but suffered a tad.

I paid off in Liverpool and carried it on my back (with the help of a length of whammie) to Folkestone on the south coast, plus my huge kitbag, but it was worth it.

Shaun
Old 25th March 2007, 19:39
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Wonder if any of you ex Palm Line members remember the small creek boats that they had in Nigeria.
The chief officers that were being groomed for stardom spent some time as captains on these craft. It was not compulsory but you did get brownie points.
They were shallow draft and used to go up country in the wet season and bring down produce to Lagos/Appa. In the dry seasson the creeks did not have enough water and they did work round Burutu etc.
The crew were all Nigerians except then.
The boats did not have Palm line colours but UAC livery with the buff funnel with the black to (as did all old Palm Line boats before they changed).
Don't recall their names but think it was from local tribes.
The captains were always welcomed on the big boats as they must have gotten tired of pepper soup and palm oil chop. Enjoyed a few Tennants too.
Some of their tales were like out of Joseph Conrad.
Bill
Old 28th March 2007, 13:11

Bill's post mentions pepper soup. Anybody know the recipe, so I can try it again after all these years. Thanks for any replies.Davey.

Last edited by Davey; 28th March 2007 at 13:42..
Old 28th March 2007, 14:01

Hello all ex-Palm Liners I joined the Bamenda 19/2/63 did in all 7 trips on her I did 1 trip on the Lobito and 3 trips on the Katsina - 2 trips Ilorin - 1 trip Kano and the last trip I did was on the Makeni (what a heap of rubbish that ship was) I would like to "chat"with any other crew members that sailed between 1963 and 1967
Old 28th March 2007, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_Donnelly View Post
Now there's something, we used to purchase these in Takoradi, Ghana. I have one with a carved top showing croc's, mud hud huts, palms, etc., coffee table size. in 1978 I paid two 1 notes, four bars of Lux soap and a tube of colgate for it.

I wrapped it in blankets whilst on the African coast, unwrapping it like 'pass-the-parcel' every few days as we travelled north, to try to prevent warping. It worked to some degree but suffered a tad.

I paid off in Liverpool and carried it on my back (with the help of a length of whammie) to Folkestone on the south coast, plus my huge kitbag, but it was worth it.

Shaun
I bet you bought that from "African Industries" in Takoradi.

I bought a carved mahogony head from the same place and gave it to my sister. I told her it was an African fertility symbol and you've no idea how many babies were born as a result of rubbing it!

I remember seeing a carved head in the Chief Steward's office which was a much higher quality than any I'd seen elsewhere, he'd got it as some sort of backhander. I really wanted it and he sold it to me for two quid, a fair amount at the time, but I didn't care. My mother had it and loved it for about 25 years. It's looking down on me now - I don't touch it much but I reckon it's good "ju-ju".

I never sailed with Palm Line but I have to say, they had the most handsome funnel of the lot as far as I"m concerned. Seeing that in Middlesbrough Dock would turn any young lad's head towards the sea.

Davey mentioned 'Pepper soup'. If you Google "West Africa Chop" you'll find a myriad of recipes, Davey. Good luck with some of the ingredients though, Oyibo.

John T.
Old 28th March 2007, 14:49

Aldinga (Ron)

I did post a message belatedley thanking you for the photo of Burutu Palm, but the message has not appeared on the list. Sorry about that.
Regards,
Peter (Pat) Baker.
Old 28th March 2007, 15:09

Cheers John T for the advice on pepper soup.Just loved it first time it was served up on the Elmina Palm.Davey.

Last edited by Davey; 28th March 2007 at 15:18..
Old 28th March 2007, 19:32

My location
Welcome Elmina man

I was lucky enough to sail on her in the early sixtys, what I liked was the draft beer on tap at lunch time great. Also going to places like Port Harcourt and Warrie up the Niger Delta picking up the pilot. They came rushing out in a canoe flying the Co Flag and ships were all very heavy on deck lots of work, but a good company never had trouble crewing in the London pools. Also from Gravesend Sea School you could watch them going into Tilbury Docks great days.

Ron
Old 28th March 2007, 21:48

Palm Line

Ships in Focus Magazine Issues 35&36 feature excellent history of Palm Line.

Noted Capt. Everall's name, spent some time with him in UASC after he left Palm Line. A gentleman.

Does anyone remember George Redford? Palm Line for many years
Old 29th March 2007, 13:36
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
Yes, Baileysan I remember Captain Everall with the fondest of memories, I sailed with him on the BADAGRY PALM for eighteen months as 4th. Mate and was very much impressed by his gravitas and skill.
I seem also recall he had a very comely niece Susan who I tipped my cap for.
Yours aye,
Slick

http://Badagry Palm Off Load Heavy Lift Takoradi.jpg
Old 1st April 2007, 18:59
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

A Couple of Lifts

All,
A couple of pics of some real sailoring.
Yours aye,
SlickBadagry Palm Off Load Heavy Lift Takoradi.2.jpg

Badagry Palm Off Load Work Boat.2.jpg
Old 1st April 2007, 20:04
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Slick
Rememeber one trip to Bathhurst in The Gambia.
Last thing loaded in Tilbury were two London Barges (Craft in the venacular).
Course they had to be first off as well so the jumbo was broken out and they were duely unloaded into the water and a small tug took them away.
Proceeded to unload the rest of the cargo and away we went to our next port ,Freetown.
Got a message there with the out-turn report for Bathhurst.
A few items we had overcarried as well as the two craft. Like how could we miss those items???
Were asked to land the items in Freetown for trans shipment.
Guess the person that sent the message had no idea how large those things were.!!! Got a good laugh anyway.
How do you know you have an elephant in your fridge?
there would be footprints on the butter!
Bill
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:54

My location
Forcados / Sapele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
Wonder if any of you ex Palm Line members remember the small creek boats that they had in Nigeria.
The chief officers that were being groomed for stardom spent some time as captains on these craft. It was not compulsory but you did get brownie points.
They were shallow draft and used to go up country in the wet season and bring down produce to Lagos/Appa. In the dry seasson the creeks did not have enough water and they did work round Burutu etc.
The crew were all Nigerians except then.
The boats did not have Palm line colours but UAC livery with the buff funnel with the black to (as did all old Palm Line boats before they changed).
Don't recall their names but think it was from local tribes.
The captains were always welcomed on the big boats as they must have gotten tired of pepper soup and palm oil chop. Enjoyed a few Tennants too.
Some of their tales were like out of Joseph Conrad.
Bill

Hi Bill . I have two ship photos you describe in my files and thought they were EDs , namely the Forcados and Sapele (ex Empire Pavillion) small two hatch jobs, also have a photo of the Benin a small three hatch one Regards. Ken
Old 14th February 2008, 12:06

I don't suppose you have a Photo of the Badagry? it was my home for a year and would like a picture of her for nostalgia
Old 14th February 2008, 14:29

Southbound, try the following URLs.
It's probably the older ship that you're looking for.
http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/palm2.html
http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/ships_phot...8/ships_08.htm
http://www.allatsea.cx/images/ships/badagryIL1.jpg
http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/palm.htm

Bruce
Old 2nd April 2008, 03:12

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
I bet you bought that from "African Industries" in Takoradi.

I bought a carved mahogony head from the same place and gave it to my sister. I told her it was an African fertility symbol and you've no idea how many babies were born as a result of rubbing it!

I remember seeing a carved head in the Chief Steward's office which was a much higher quality than any I'd seen elsewhere, he'd got it as some sort of backhander. I really wanted it and he sold it to me for two quid, a fair amount at the time, but I didn't care. My mother had it and loved it for about 25 years. It's looking down on me now - I don't touch it much but I reckon it's good "ju-ju".

I never sailed with Palm Line but I have to say, they had the most handsome funnel of the lot as far as I"m concerned. Seeing that in Middlesbrough Dock would turn any young lad's head towards the sea.

Davey mentioned 'Pepper soup'. If you Google "West Africa Chop" you'll find a myriad of recipes, Davey. Good luck with some of the ingredients though, Oyibo.

John T.
I still have a wonderful mahogany elephant (about 18" high) on permament loan to a friend in Lincolnshire since the 70's. It was either a 20th or 21st birthday present from Maggie the chandler in Takoradi. Anyone remember her?
Old 2nd April 2008, 13:10

Is there anybody out there left from Palm Line in the 1955-1957 era?

If you are there please surface and say a word or two.

Cheers

Peter Baker.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:08

Captain Astbury was my grandfather and I am trying to find out more about him
Old 15th April 2011, 13:13

Sailed on two Palm boats Opobo and the Badagary, regarding cleaning the tanks on the Opobo we did them them the deck crowd ive posted the resulting state of our bedding you could make out the outline of your body it was yellow on the blue sheets were you had sweated, and your seaboots rotted after a while.I have also commented on the Badagary and its bosun the less said about him the better,these trips were in the 50s,
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:17

I never sailed with Palm line,although whilst in W Africa circa1966/67 with Stag line,I saw a number of Palm line ships.One of the things that amused me was tugs with Palm line funnels.Some,I think had Elder Demster funnels.Many years ago I aquired an oil painting 16"x 20" of the Kano Palm.She appears to have a deck cargo of logs,possibly mahogany.I think it was painted about 1964/65.I always think Stag Line and Palm Line had very distinctive funnels
Old 23rd April 2011, 00:20

answer to Pats request Palm Line

[QUOTE=Peter (Pat) Baker;204818]Is there anybody out there left from Palm Line in the 1955-1957 era?

If you are there please surface and say a word or two.

Hi I sailed on the Ashanti Palm in 1957, but then went on to sail with every other company out of Liverpool, with a spell on Elder Dempsters.
My bedroom is covered with framed quality paintings of many Liverpool ships which I painted myself, amongst them are the Andoni Palm, Enugu Palm, Ashanti Palm, Elmina Palm, and Katsina Palm. and All the Empress boats, Cunarders, Bluey's ,Harrison's and many more around the house .Its my personal art gallery. and I'm still at it. Africa was a great experience,loved every minute of it. We are lucky to have been at sea for those good times.

Last edited by Tom(Tucker)Kirby; 23rd April 2011 at 00:30..
Old 27th April 2011, 17:56

Tom (Tucker) Kirby,
Thanks for the reply. At the time you were in the Ashanti Palm
I was in the Kumasi Palm and left her to join Harrisons of
Liverpool.
Cheers
Peter (Pat) Baker