RMAS Salmaster/Ocean Endeavour - Ships Nostalgia
09:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

RMAS Salmaster/Ocean Endeavour

User Tag List

Old 9th November 2004, 15:06

RMAS Salmaster/Ocean Endeavour

RMAS SALMASTER (A186) seen on the Thames in May 1987 not long after commissioning, now operates for Guardline Geosurveys based at Great Yarmouth as the OCEAN ENDEAVOUR (86/1967) where she was photographed during October 2004.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salmaster.jpg (69.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg OCEAN ENDEAVOUR.JPG (75.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 19th November 2005, 16:53
Ex-Motorman

I was a Motorman on board RMAS Salmaster during the mid to late 90s when she was based in Greenock on the Clyde. I like the Ocean Endeavour colour scheme.
Old 30th November 2008, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
RMAS SALMASTER (A186) seen on the Thames in May 1987 not long after commissioning, now operates for Guardline Geosurveys based at Great Yarmouth as the OCEAN ENDEAVOUR (86/1967) where she was photographed during October 2004.
i was on that trip in may 1987 and am now on salmoor 2008
Old 12th January 2011, 12:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Salmaster

I spent two happy years on the Salmaster from new (Hall Russel at Aberdeen) and thoroughly enjoyed all her tasking including a very pleasant summer in the Northern approaches steaming past the assembled R Class tugs (all three of them) while we were involved in a JMC exercise.

For sheer shiphandling enjoyment though the Kin class were the best - Uplifter and Kinloss were my two.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:52
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Now doing seismic operations here in the Falklands for the last month or so.
Old 23rd March 2011, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landour View Post
Now doing seismic operations here in the Falklands for the last month or so.
Yes, I had a photo of her sent from Falklands by an ex colleague who lives there at present. Before that she was working off the north Aussie coast eventually ending up in Western Australia where the maritime unions got her thrown out of Aus because of asbestos! I was told this by a very reliable source.
Old 18th May 2011, 00:22
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - Present

Had the pleasure of working on SALMASTER as 2nd for 2 years working with Willie Miller, my last trip was as Chief. A run up around southern Iceland getting hit by one massive storm after another was enough to convince me an office job was looking good. Always thought she sounded like an old sailing ship when at sea rolling around all creaking bangs and clonks - how the hell did we ever sleep?
I replaced Big Bev on the ship who had been on her from new, anyone recall him?
Old 24th May 2011, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowone View Post
Had the pleasure of working on SALMASTER as 2nd for 2 years working with Willie Miller, my last trip was as Chief. A run up around southern Iceland getting hit by one massive storm after another was enough to convince me an office job was looking good. Always thought she sounded like an old sailing ship when at sea rolling around all creaking bangs and clonks - how the hell did we ever sleep?
I replaced Big Bev on the ship who had been on her from new, anyone recall him?
I remember Big Bev very well, he took Salmaster from new with Brian Sherriff as Chief. You might know better than me but I believe he took medical retirement?
Old 19th July 2011, 19:40
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
Talking hi waighty.long time no see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
I remember Big Bev very well, he took Salmaster from new with Brian Sherriff as Chief. You might know better than me but I believe he took medical retirement?
dont know about that but he worked for rms for a wee while until him and the gaffer started to butt heads too often
Old 20th July 2011, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofaerosyth View Post

dont know about that but he worked for rms for a wee while until him and the gaffer started to butt heads too often
Howdy Roo,

As you say, long time no see. Hope you're keeping well. I'm retired now after a couple of job changes after RMAS. Was in Limekilns a few weeks back seeing wife's friends - the new crane at Rosyth looks big! Bet the place is very different these days.

Is RMS still going? Is Willie Milne still there?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 20th July 2011, 19:07

My location
Smile just!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
Howdy Roo,

As you say, long time no see. Hope you're keeping well. I'm retired now after a couple of job changes after RMAS. Was in Limekilns a few weeks back seeing wife's friends - the new crane at Rosyth looks big! Bet the place is very different these days.

Is RMS still going? Is Willie Milne still there?

Cheers,

Mike
the yard has changed(for the worse).rms is still going but we just lost the contract to briggs.our last day will be 7th of october.bit of a dissapointment but what can you do.its all about the cheapest bidder these days.ive been in the yard since 1987 so it will be a bit strange trying to find work elsewhere.willie is still the operations manager(drives a desk).but still drives tugs when needed and still pilots.bob sutherland is skipper of elkhound with deckies vince & davie mcilravie.deerhound is skippered by raymond pratt with deckies me and willies son.and stan is still the high heed yin.and yes, the new crane is a tad HUGE. p.s. my dad, (willie mitchell ) , who is looking over my shoulder at the moment says hi.
Old 14th July 2012, 16:42
Active: 1981 - 1993

Smile sailed on both

I have sailed on both Salmaster and Salmoor.
Was a deckhand the diver in Rosyth.
Does anyone know what happened to the old Goosy Goosander and the where abouts of Malky(darky)Thurlow ro Willie Milne.
The missus come across this site by accident, have read some threads that brought back some great meories.
Sherriff(jnr)
Old 16th July 2012, 01:11

My location
hi sherriff.long time no see.goosy is now called utec surveyor (or something like that).im sure there are pics of her in the special purpose vessels gallery.if not there they are in the rmas gallery.cheers.ROO

Last edited by roofaerosyth; 16th July 2012 at 02:18.. Reason: my spelling sucks
Old 19th November 2013, 19:22
Active: 1981 - 1993

[Hey Roo,
What you up to thease days, you still on the boats or got a real job lol. In rosyth at mo, will be here until 25th Nov 2013 then back to Oz before going to work in Africa. maybe catch up, [email protected] i check this most days lol.

Cheers the noo.
Sherriff!
Old 8th December 2013, 18:28

My location
just noticed your message sherriff so i guess your back in oz by now.