La Colina - Ships Nostalgia
12:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

La Colina

User Tag List

Old 18th May 2020, 11:59

La Colina

Hi,

I'm looking for information on the La Colina and I'm just wondering if you can help me? My Dad joined the Merchant Navy when he was around 17 (he will have been 17 in the Jun of 1958). I believe he left Port Talbot on a ship called the Mapledor heading to France to be scrapped, but mid journey they were told somebody in Canada had purchased it so they took it there. After that I believe he was on the La Colina for around 10 years as a welder. Hes mentioned a false funnel and a change of name for the ship when in French waters, I believe the other name used was Felix Belediz or something like that. The spelling is probably completely off, but then I thought La Colina started with Lark until I found your post. I'm not after anything specific really, but it would be quite nice to know if possible where he was in what years, but anything would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance,

Katie
Old 20th May 2020, 17:01

Couple of La Colina tales

So I've just had a couple of good stories from my Dad from his time on the La Colina:

1. My Dad was in the cabin next door to his with a few others playing cards, they hard a kerfuffle in my Dads cabin and went in to find a swordfish flapping around in there that had jumped through the porthole. Guess what they had for tea that night LOL.

2. This is the best one. While in Algiers in around 1961 ish there was an unfortunate incident which resulted in a local lady being shot by some chap from the Foreign Legion, my Dad and a couple of his mates witnessed it and had to give statements etc, anyway the other Foreign Legion chap was and English bloke (who my Dad thinks may have been from Barrow-in-Furness), he'd had enough and wanted out. They smuggled him onto the ship (possibly making some use of the false funnel) and brought him back to the UK, ditching his uniform in the sea on the journey back.
Old 20th May 2020, 17:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

From a Ships of the Clyde article. Hope it helps.

LA COLINA, a 1958-built 427-feet long motor ore carrier owned by Buries Markes of London and chartered to BISCO (British Iron and Steel Corporation) arrived at the East Terminus of General Terminus Quay, Glasgow, at 1618 on 7th June 1962.

She was piloted to the berth by Clyde Pilot Baird, with two Steel and Bennie tugs assisting. Drawing 25’ 6” forward and 25 feet aft, LA COLINA was carrying 9,250 tons of Pyrites Residues from Huelva, Spain, and destined for the Colville’s steelworks in Lanarkshire, Scotland.

At 2000, four hours after arrival, the giant Colville’s cranes commenced unloading the cargo, and discharge was completed at 2020 on 8th June.

Low water of 6’ 3”above datum occurred at 2320 on 7th June, and the vessel remained afloat (as opposed to sitting on the ground) with her draught of 24’ 3” forward and 22’ 6” aft.

When discharge was completed LA COLINA was drawing 16’ 2“ forward and 18’ 9” aft.

On 8th June the harbor oiler INVERTEST came alongside and pumped 90 tons of fuel oil to the ore carrier.

LA COLINA, light-ship (empty of any cargo) cast off her moorings at 1545 on 10th June, draught of 15’ 9” forward and 18’ 3” aft, and with Clyde Pilot Johnstone in charge and assisted by two Steel & Bennie tugs, she moved astern from the berth and canted at the entrance to Prince’s Dock to face downriver, then continued on her passage to Narvik in northern Norway

Additional note : Buries Markes sold LA COLINA in 1974 to Yugoslavian buyers, and they had her until 1988 until selling her to St Vincent & The Grenadines who renamed her INCO 110. Under that name she was broken up in India in 1989.

LA COLINA was a motor ore carrier with machinery aft and built by Ch. Reunis Loire-Normandie in 1958 at Grand Quevilly, Rouen, France.

Equipped with direction finder, echo-sounding device, gyro compass, radar and radio-telephone, she was 427’ 0” overall length, with an extreme breadth of 57’ 2” and draught of 25’ 2.” Her call sign was MYBG and she was 7,216 gross tons, net 2,959 and deadweight of 9.920 tons.

Her machinery was 2 Oil engines 4SA each 8Cy, 420 x 660mm geared to sc shaft, built by Klockner-Humboldt-Deutz, of Koln, Germany.

BW

J
Old 21st May 2020, 02:22
Active: 1957 - 1972

I think the Swordfish is a fishy tale ????? anyway could thisd be your" La Colina"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Colina-03.jpg (146.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 21st May 2020, 03:19

Another photo of the ship.

The 'fish tale'... probably true!

Probably not a swordfish, but very likely a 'flying fish'. They will fly 'gliding' from swell to swell and land onto a boat... or into a porthole.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Colina-06.jpg (166.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 21st May 2020, 18:21
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
A flying fish would not be likely to be heard by card players in the next cabin. The whole point of the story is that it's unlikely, but that's no reason for trying to explain it away. I find it more likely to be true than made up. Any way it's too good to dismiss.
Old 21st May 2020, 18:25

Yes that the ship, they're lovely pics actually, he will enjoy seeing those, thank you.

He tells me it happened, therefore I have to believe him, apparently it was a swordfish and they kept the long swordy bit for a while.

Katie
Old 21st May 2020, 18:27

Thank you
Old 21st May 2020, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Gaskell View Post
Yes that the ship, they're lovely pics actually, he will enjoy seeing those, thank you.

He tells me it happened, therefore I have to believe him, apparently it was a swordfish and they kept the long swordy bit for a while.

Katie
LOL! Well, both are quite possible!

How about a 800lb blue marlin? Back about 2006 my brother and his son were fishing off Bermuda banks. A marlin was on the line and the fish turned and came past the stern. Jumped and almost speared the angler sitting in the chair. Unfortunately my nephew got speared below his collarbone. He went overboard with the marlin. The marlin was able to get nephew off his spear. Ian was brought to surface and raced to get the boat back to the dock. The ambulance was there waiting. The doctors saved him. Missed by an inch or so he would have been a goner. Still Mate on the boat and still fishes for marlin!

Stephen

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 21st May 2020 at 22:19..
Old 21st May 2020, 22:14

Impaled Angler: Blue marlin spears fisherman off Bermuda

By Dave Hurteau & Chad Love

July 25, 2006
Yesterday's report that 532 bass went belly up after a Wisconsin tournament proves that competitive fishing can be dangerous for fish. But it can also be life-threatening for anglers. Just ask 32-year-old Ian Card. On Saturday, during a fishing competition, he was fighting an 800-pound blue marlin when the huge fish suddenly leapt out of the water and impaled him angler in the chest, knocking him overboard. Card managed to get back aboard and to a hospital, where doctors said he was lucky to be alive.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

The Press, Nat. Geographic etc were after him for the story. Before they could get together Steve Irwin was killed and they went for that.

Brother Alan has caught 7 'granders'.... Blue Marin over 1,000 lbs.

All I get is a piece of fish for supper. Well, it is fresh. :-)

Stephen

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 21st May 2020 at 22:18..
Old 21st May 2020, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
LOL! Well, both are quite possible!

How about a 800lb blue marlin? Back about 2006 my brother and his son were fishing off Bermuda banks. A marlin was on the line and the fish turned and came past the stern. Jumped and almost speared the angler sitting in the chair. Unfortunately my nephew got speared below his collarbone. He went overboard with the marlin. The marlin was able to get nephew off his spear. Ian was brought to surface and raced to get the boat back to the dock. The ambulance was there waiting. The doctors saved him. Missed by an inch or so he would have been a goner. Still Mate on the boat and still fishes for marlin!

Stephen
omg. Frightening!
Glad he was ok.
Old 21st May 2020, 22:51

I think the fish should be more scared of him!

A couple of photos of CHALLENGER. Last photo taken last summer after big refit... and a new blue hull. Perhaps a fishing trip this summer. :-)

He lost the 'tower' summer. The sling on the carrier on the dockyard slipped. The tower was rather bent so they took it off completely. It was rarely used anyway.

The last photo.... Andrew, another brother (there are six of us). In he commercial boat REEL ACTION caught a huge tune. Estimated at over than 1,000. Lone angler on the boat he was able to get it back to the dock with some help. he could not get the fish into the boat. One the way back the sharks had a bit of a feed. See the damage from the sharks. The final weight was 920lbs. A record. Poor Tuna... a hook on his mouth and the sharks are biting his backside!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-4 challenger.jpg (74.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CHALLENGER 2019 4 July trial run (2).jpg (271.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 07 challenger.jpg (118.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ANDREW TUNA.jpg (20.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg giant_tuna_bermuda_fulsl.jpg (116.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 21st May 2020 at 23:13..