Plymouth Nautical College .. Portland Place - Page 10 - Ships Nostalgia
23:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Plymouth Nautical College .. Portland Place

User Tag List

Old 30th January 2020, 02:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

Good afternoon Jim,
Sorry to hear Bill Findlay has died, the do not seem to print obituary in the Institute any longer. Bill must have been getting on in years just as you say Bill Currie is 90!
I remember the 1 inch block well and up until,very recently my vice was in use in my workshop, I finally splashed out and purchased a 5inch jaw with rotating head for a pipe vice on the reverse.
I did time on Doxfords and went to South Shields for Ph III witht he famed Doxford shop, it has been moved to a museum in tghe lake district now. My friend Kent Pedder ex Blue Star and i went looking for the engine in the college a couple of years back. We passed security and found a workshop with Cadets in it. asked the tutor "where is the Doxford" blank looks all round, we have a simulator they said! Still it was nice to see some young chaps in training. They don't do anything like the workshop hours we had and the Auckland Marine school is now turning out "watch keepers" in 2 years flat! they are good on the simulator mind.
My son is planning on the big OE in the UK this year which will give me an excuse to visit. I met up with ex Royal Hospital School mates last time round in 2017, had wonderful afternoons in the pub, it was as if we were 16 again! happy days.
Rgds
Dave
Old 30th January 2020, 13:09
Active: 1970 - 2010

Dave, Let me know if you visit UK and are in the Southampton area it would be nice to meet up.
Both my sons went to sea for their overseas experience one now working as an engineer on the local tugs while the other is waiting his Captains position on a mega-yacht. My daughter also spent 2 years at sea on cruise ships as a photographer so they were all at sea at one stage, while my wife ran a marine recruitment company.
I have spent plenty of time in Australia for various marine and offshore projects but New Zealand is still on the bucket list, preferably as part of a world cruise on retiring!
Old 31st January 2020, 23:02
Active: 1971 - Present

Hi Jim,
I will make a point of contacting you, i will likely make a visit at some point. My son is a builder, i did take him on the local tugs and did a trip offshore with him on the Pacific Chieftain, it did not spark him to want to run away to sea! Still he is a good builder.
If you send me a phone number i will give you a call at a suitable time we are 13 hours ahead currently, my e-mail is david at nzoffshore dot com. I have spent a lot of time in the offshore in NZ but our current government has kicked for touch with the greens in coalition it was popular with a small number but Taranaki has taken it hard, still we will move on no doubt.
Rgds
dave