RMS Caledonia - built 1948 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

RMS Caledonia - built 1948

User Tag List

Old 22nd January 2016, 12:53

Nickboy - You have a very good memory of your outward bound trip to Aden and it brings back memories of my time on Cilicia and Circassia - there was a Children's Nurse on board the ships and you might remember the nursery was on the starboard side aft - The " Magician " at Port Said was called " The Gully Gully Man !!! " - he used to say Gully Gully No Chicken No Mongoose - then produced rather scrawny chickens as if by magic !!!! One of the good points of all three vessels was they were all First Class so Passengers had the run of the ship - can you remember which vessel you returned on ? The passenger Service ended in 1966 - with the advent of the jumbo jet it quickly became the end of all passenger ships worldwide. Hope you enjoy the SN Site and if you have any further questions then contact me. I think the Captain on Caledonia was Captain Brown in 1961. BobL
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:00

Ian - I must have joined Cilicia just as you were leaving - as I recall Bill ? Murray was Junior Third Officer, Second Officer was Kenny MacArthur, Bobby Crawford Chief Officer and Captain Barclay - it was a happy ship, ran like clockwork - always was my favourite vessel. BobL
Old 5th March 2016, 21:35

I've really enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread, they have brought back a lot of memories
I travelled from UK to Bombay on the Caledonia in 1962 when I was 10, with my parent and 2 brothers, my memories are fairly distant, but I do remember going ashore in Gibraltar and taking a tour to see the apes.
I spent quite a bit of time in the Nursery 'helping' with the small children as there was no one else my age to play with. I also remember stopping at Port Said and the small boats trying to sell their souvenirs. We then went through the Suez Canal and I remember seeing the pyramids
I have some photos somewhere, if I can find them is it possible to post them here?
I sailed back in '63 and remember the Bay of Biscay on our last night, I would have been 13 at the time and was to be allowed to stay up late for the final night on board, but it was so rough the grand piano slid backwards and forwards across the floor, and the evening dance was cancelled!
Old 6th March 2016, 16:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Brenj1918 and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 31st March 2016, 12:13

I asked my mother about the voyages we had to and from Aden in the 1960's, she did not remember too much more but said that there was an other class on the vessel as she remembered all the saris being dried on the lower open decks - I don't remember this and she may be confusing it with something else but I pass it on for what it is worth. She also thinks we returned on the Cassia but then gave me two menus she has kept that were from the return voyage and clearly state the Caledonia so I am not sure! But I will scan the menus as soon as I can get them to the right format and size! You will then be able to see the menu was quite extensive. One states luncheon the other I am sure is the dinner menu.
Old 31st March 2016, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickboy View Post
I asked my mother about the voyages we had to and from Aden in the 1960's, she did not remember too much more but said that there was an other class on the vessel as she remembered all the saris being dried on the lower open decks - I don't remember this and she may be confusing it with something else but I pass it on for what it is worth. She also thinks we returned on the Cassia but then gave me two menus she has kept that were from the return voyage and clearly state the Caledonia so I am not sure! But I will scan the menus as soon as I can get them to the right format and size! You will then be able to see the menu was quite extensive. One states luncheon the other I am sure is the dinner menu.
Nick boy - Your msg noted - FYI the three "C's" we're all First Class - but here were three different classes of Cabins - 26 Staterooms on the Boat Deck, A Deck on the Main Deck and B Deck but all Passengers had the run of the vessel and all dined together ( two sittings - first smart informal and second more formal if wished ). At sea washing lines were rigged over hatch 4 aft of the verandah cafe for all passengers use if they wished. Hope this helps. Bob L.
Old 28th April 2016, 12:19

RMS Caledonia Menus from April 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickboy View Post
But I will scan the menus as soon as I can get them to the right format and size! You will then be able to see the menu was quite extensive. One states luncheon the other I am sure is the dinner menu.
Menus attached as promised (finally!). Hope they are of interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21 April 1964 Menu 1.jpg (25.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 21 April 1964 Menu.jpg (34.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 17 April 1964 Menu 4.jpg (21.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 17 April 1964 Menu 3.jpg (23.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 28th April 2016, 17:12

Nickboy - A happy days - all three "C" Boats were well known for the excellent feeding - full silver service at all meals - we were fortunate to have an Officer's Table dining with the Passengers where we had full choice of anything on the menus ( But no alcohol !!! ) The Curry's served were especially good. It was an excellent Company to work for and we had loyal Ship's Staff - some of the Crew were third generation sea employees. - the end of an era and I was fortunate to experience it. Bob L.
Old 23rd August 2018, 15:04

I’m fascinated by all those accounts. I travelled with my family from Bombay to Liverpool on the Caledonia at the age of just 18 months, arriving in December 1960.
I’m now a priest in the Church of England, and was preparing for a service in a church a couple of years ago when I got into conversation with an elderly man who was assisting me. It turned out that he was on the very same sailing of the Caledonia that we were on.
I don’t have any real memories from the trip, but my siblings tell me that it was a real shock, after several years for them in India, to find that it was snowing in Liverpool when they arrived. Our grandfather was waiting for us, with coats for us all, but apparently it was still a long, cold and dreary train journey to London, compared to the warmth and relative luxury of their voyage from Bombay.
Old 9th February 2020, 14:40

Hi I am keen on any photos from the Caledonia. My father now aged 80 came to the UK aboard the Caledonia in March 1962. He has vivid memories and I am keen to share any pictures to jog his memory.
Old 13th February 2020, 16:34

Anchor Line's CALEDONIA, CILICIA and CIRCASSIA

There are lots of images of the interiors of these three ships and timetables, passenger information, etc. on the website www.shipsoftheclyde.com. Well worth a look.
Old 13th February 2020, 17:48

Looks like most of the ships I sailed in with J&J Denholm! Perhaps not the whole lot of the items on the menu, but very similar.

Food on cruise ships today 'seem' to be much better. It is a bit a 'con', same food... just different fancy names for the items!