James Dredging Company. - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
11:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

James Dredging Company.

User Tag List

Old 23rd January 2013, 06:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 2005

Had a good chuckle with your last post. Here is today's stroll down memory lane. Do you recall Fred Ward on the Widgeon or Pintail?
Frank Judd was a engineer with dad. Blondie Vine was on the Seastone or Rockstone then went into the Rigging loft in the yard. Willy Ross was a mate on the dredgers. Eric Brockway was the launch operator. Wally Cluett. was a mate with dad who died trying to get back onboard when they were tied up in Newcastle. The "James 81" used to collect the sewage from the sewage farms and take it out to dump in the Solent. (Best job in the fleet some used to say).
Dad recalls Jonny Macglochlin who was a mate on the "Goodworker" in Doha when he noticed a crack in the bucket ladder and was about to break. He managed to stop operations and saved the bucket chain from parting and going over the top.
Humour me Eric as dad and I ramble on. It brings a glint to his eyes when I update him. Look forward to any replys.
Ray
Old 24th January 2013, 17:51
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1984

James Dredging

Fred Ward ran the "Pintail",his eyes were red and watery like a bloodhound,nice bloke,he used to run bets ashore from the "Dibden Bay"for Johnny Walker and Peter Tucker.I remember Frank Judd,and Knocker White used talk about Blondie Vine.Expect Dad will also recall Jack Hayes,engineer on dredgers etc.Worked with Willy and John Mac.on several jobs in UK.Whenever "James 81"laid up,they used to send her 'cargo' to us on "Carnroe" at Marchwood,in open barges to be pumped ashore.We were paid time and a 'third'(have I spelt that right)?There was a nice natural allotment growing ashore there which Joe Duell appreciated.Remember him?
Best regards to all
Eric
Old 24th January 2013, 19:49

Hi
In 1968 I spent a few weeks in the Rockstone Master B Tanner then the Seastone Master H Force ? Then I went to a hopper James No ?that was prospecting for new sand banks for dredging to sell ashore we were of Le havre taking samples of the bottom and bagging it marking it then we moved up to off Oostend then we went into Harwich taking samples of the bottom all round the Harbour to see if the spoil could be sold when they dredge to make way for bigger ships then we went to Dublin to do the same job but I can't remember the number of the Hopper can anyone remind me please
Regards
Granty
Old 24th January 2013, 19:59

The "James 96" was the one converted from a hopper to a gravel boat. Her sister was the "James 95"
Ray
Old 24th January 2013, 20:46

Further. The James 96 was renamed 'Merstone"
Ray
Old 25th January 2013, 06:10
Active: 1950 - 2000

My location
I was on the James 95 doing that sort of gravel prospecting, using a Hydralift, probably about 1965/6. We worked all round the Isle of Wight, then up to the Mersey, eventually to Denmark, looking for the right "stuff" for the expansion of Copenhagen Airport.
Old 25th January 2013, 20:35

Granty.
Just talked with my father (Sam Jupe) and he said that it was the "James 95" that did the prospecting work. He couldn't remember the skipper's name but said that he stepped ashore in Ireland, sat on a bollard to roll a cigarette an fell over and died. He was a good guy apparently. I hope that I haven't confused you with my previous posts.
Regards.
Ray
Old 25th January 2013, 22:20

Hi Ray
We had only been in Dublin a few days and I went home I can't remember the Masters name the only two crew I can remember and it's not names is the One of the ABs come from Gravesend and the cook was a cook out of The Ffyes banana boats he used to play losers crib it was good fun but he boiled the tea towels and his under ware on the galley stove each evening. the flushing pump on the toilet did not work so there was a 45 gallon drum on deck so you could flush the loo with a bucket. It was summer time when I was in her and we worked from 0400 till 2000 each day some times you worked in the hold or on the windless you would drop the anchor pay out all the cable. Take a sample heave in a shackle take another sample and so on. Great fun
Cheers
granty
Old 10th February 2013, 07:27

I recall a Dutch engineer on either the 95 or 96. He was a big blonde feller and used to be a heavy weight boxer. His name was Tony Veerling I think. He eventually worked in the fitting shop where he had an accident whilst bending pipe. Apparently he had packed sand in the pipe and put a bung in both ends, then heated the pipe to bend it. The sand was wet so that when it was red hot it blew the bung out and into his eyes. Nobody could get near him to help but Alf Marlow got him to the hospital where they saved his sight. That company saw its share of accidents in those days.
Anyone remember Jack Tomkins and his finger loss in the fan of the welding plant in Marchwood?
Ginger Barrett used to tell the story of when he worked with Jack as his greaser. One day Jack was painting with white paint and Ginge swapped the tin for red lead. Jack dipped his brush in without looking and managed a couple of stokes before realizing. Good thing that Ginge was a big guy.
Cheers.
Ray
Old 10th February 2013, 13:49

James Dredging

Jack Tomkins was chief on F Soton and Ginger Barret his greaser yes,
Coor Cross,we used to call him Gorden,was the Dutch master,George
Coward was his mate at that time.Jack was made floating supt.a few years later.He was checking all shore plant for anti-freeze,he apparently
topped up the one at Marchwood,had it running for a while then put his
hand in checking for leaks,forgetting it was running. I think he lost 3 or 4
fingers,he came back to work for a while before retiring shortly after.
The F Soton did the Calshot Consortium job in early 60's,with F101,F102, HAM Hoppers 581,2,3 and4, the Simoun,Sirocco,95 or 96,
W.D.54"African Queen",I was on HAM 581, with Ian "Lofty" Anderson the
Master.Ginger Ryan was on deck with me, Paddy Cleary in E.R. Other names I recall are Bill Swinsted,Bob McKenzie,Joe Davis,Jack Alford,
Dave Evans(E.R.) Paddy McGratten.During the winter the sea water was freezing the ropes if we didn't get them below smartly.

Last edited by Ericof_t110; 10th February 2013 at 13:53..
Old 10th February 2013, 17:35
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Tony V a very nice chap. I think it was Jack Tomkins was chief on the Shemara(Sir Bernard Docker, Boss of BSA) His wife Nora a down to earth lady she called Jack " a bald headed old Bas**** " he said " I am not old" and left the ship. Ron Hampton also sailed on the Shemara
Old 17th February 2013, 04:45

Today we were talking about the "Top Up", bunker barge. We could not remember the name of the steam barge that it replaced. Any ideas? I think the skipper's name was Bert.
Thanks.
Ray
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:34

The "Hauler" or "Hawler" was bunker ship,Ray,her Master was called
"Old Mac" MacDonald and the ship was used for shifting moorings,delivering stores etc.There was an old boilerman called Albert
MacDonald around at that period, not sure if they were related.
Eric.
PS. Skipper of "Top Up" was Albert Burton known as Bert,you were right.

Last edited by Ericof_t110; 23rd February 2013 at 12:38.. Reason: memory recall
Old 11th March 2013, 17:31
Active: 1958 - Present

james dredging company

Read all the threads about james dredging, and know all the people mentioned. Worked on WD Asia on the western docks.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:35
Active: 1958 - Present

peterlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericof_t110 View Post
Fred Ward ran the "Pintail",his eyes were red and watery like a bloodhound,nice bloke,he used to run bets ashore from the "Dibden Bay"for Johnny Walker and Peter Tucker.I remember Frank Judd,and Knocker White used talk about Blondie Vine.Expect Dad will also recall Jack Hayes,engineer on dredgers etc.Worked with Willy and John Mac.on several jobs in UK.Whenever "James 81"laid up,they used to send her 'cargo' to us on "Carnroe" at Marchwood,in open barges to be pumped ashore.We were paid time and a 'third'(have I spelt that right)?There was a nice natural allotment growing ashore there which Joe Duell appreciated.Remember him?
Best regards to all
Eric
We used to call Ward cods eyes or poached eggs in a bucket of blood.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:50
Organisation: RNLI

My location
Was chatting to Frank James yesterday, He is certanly looking alot better than the last time I saw him. Must be all the sunny holidays him and and his wife are having.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:57

My location
Frank James

I was informed last night, that Frank James passed away suddenly at home.Early yesterday morning.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:11
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

RIP Frank
Old 30th July 2013, 04:58

I was recently told about a tug tied up in Campbell River, Canada named GLENGARY. Today I went and took some pictures of her. She was renamed from TROJAN. Sure enough I knew her as soon as I walked along the dock. When she first came into James yard she was just a shell and we fitted her out. She still has the 750 Lister Blackstone. I couldn't find the operator but was told that she is now owned by General Towing. Painted on her was "Glengary Vancouver BC"
One of the things that the boilermakers had to do was to cut down the centre window because the skipper couldn't see the deckhand forward when they were running anchors. She is being worked on to be put back into service. The picture files are too big to post so I will compress them and post in the future. I'd like to know if she sailed across to Canada or if she came on a transporter back in the early 80's.
Ray
Old 30th July 2013, 05:59

Here is the Glengary (Trojan)Glengary.jpg
Old 24th August 2013, 20:47

Hi Ray,good to hear from you again,I crewed on Trojan for a few weeks
with Len Whitlock (capt) and Ben Nye (driver).We run around the coast
from Soton to Shearness,and worked that area.Bob McKenzie was also on board as run skipper.We ran barges up and down The Medway and The Thames to Gravesend and Tilbury. Eric.
Old 24th August 2013, 22:58

Hi Eric, likewise, it is good to see your reply. Dad asks if there is anything on the computer when I see him so this will be good for him. He too recognized the Trojan when I showed him the pictures. He spent some time on her as well. I will remind him of the names that you listed.
She looked pretty banged up with a lot of rust but they must have thought that she is viable as they are fixing her up. I will keep an eye out for her once she is running.
Regards. Ray
Old 24th August 2013, 23:25
Active: 1972 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneleigh View Post
Following earlier points mentioned, I should have stated that the 'Deepstone' was renamed the 'ARCO HUMBER' in during its ARC ownership. It is still operational, and you can frequently track its movements on the internet with AIS. Also the 'Bankstone' had a bad fire aboard, which I believe started in one of its cabins, and it was later sold for scrap. The 'Marinestone' (later Arco Tees), if I remember correctly, was badly damaged after an explosion by underwater ordanance which incurred whilst it dredged somewhere off Lowestoft. I believe it was later towed for scrap to Belgium
The ARCO TEES was severly damaged by the explosion. The main engines were blown off the engine beds and the bridge and superstucture were moved backwards several inches by the explosion.
The pumps from the ARCO TEES were used on shore at Sizewell B Power Station during the construction phase, The dredger was moored off shore and the aggregate was pumped into a lagoon for processing into sand and gravel. Unexploded ordnance came ashore several times.
Old 1st September 2013, 22:17
Active: 1961 - 1982

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
I was informed last night, that Frank James passed away suddenly at home.Early yesterday morning.
Hi was chatting with friends that knew Frank and we could not agree on his age, Any ideas ???????????? regards
Old 11th February 2014, 16:17

trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray the lecky View Post
Hi Eric, likewise, it is good to see your reply. Dad asks if there is anything on the computer when I see him so this will be good for him. He too recognized the Trojan when I showed him the pictures. He spent some time on her as well. I will remind him of the names that you listed.
She looked pretty banged up with a lot of rust but they must have thought that she is viable as they are fixing her up. I will keep an eye out for her once she is running.
Regards. Ray
Hi there Ray the lecky,hope you are well,how's things with Trojan?
I've been having PC problems,hopefully now sorted.

ky,not having been in touch for a while,had problems signing in lately.Hope all's well your end. Happy New Year.