OCL Box boats - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
17:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

OCL Box boats

User Tag List

Old 3rd December 2008, 22:42

Some of the other names that I remember are Stan Child, a lovely man from Bridlington I think, also of course Charlie Mckenzie and Banjo Jones.
Of the younger guys, I had many good nights with Ian Hodson, Cliff Wilkinson, Graham Rudd, Bob Taylor (i,m on a roll now)
Can anyone remember Spike Arkley the bosun? If so what about the incident in Southampton on the Table Bay..............????? I will say no more at the moment.
I never really enjoyed the voyages on the Bloo Floo ships to the Far East, I was always a fan of 'The coast' Perhaps it was the Dawson sisters or any of the other 'attractions' I dont know.
Somewhere at home I have some of the crew lists that OCL used to print, I always remember looking out for my mates and thinking " oh sh1t, he's not going to get on with that bvgger" or " he'll have a great time with so and so"
Yes, happy days indeed, not one regret and I dont recall one bad word (apart from Captain Short leaving me behind in Fremantle on the Jervis) I had a couple of bad words that day!
Dougie Dines, Vic Peters, Alan Eggleton, there will be more i,m certain.
Old 26th December 2008, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymay View Post
Some of the other names that I remember are Stan Child, a lovely man from Bridlington I think, also of course Charlie Mckenzie and Banjo Jones.
Of the younger guys, I had many good nights with Ian Hodson, Cliff Wilkinson, Graham Rudd, Bob Taylor (i,m on a roll now)
Can anyone remember Spike Arkley the bosun? If so what about the incident in Southampton on the Table Bay..............????? I will say no more at the moment.
I never really enjoyed the voyages on the Bloo Floo ships to the Far East, I was always a fan of 'The coast' Perhaps it was the Dawson sisters or any of the other 'attractions' I dont know.
Somewhere at home I have some of the crew lists that OCL used to print, I always remember looking out for my mates and thinking " oh sh1t, he's not going to get on with that bvgger" or " he'll have a great time with so and so"
Yes, happy days indeed, not one regret and I dont recall one bad word (apart from Captain Short leaving me behind in Fremantle on the Jervis) I had a couple of bad words that day!
Dougie Dines, Vic Peters, Alan Eggleton, there will be more i,m certain.
Hi, Just found this site due to chating to an old mate of mine, Iam Graham Rudd whan you read this, please get back to me, as you mentioned, many, many happy days!! all the best, graham r.
Old 5th January 2009, 08:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1985

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
Hi Ian, Just having a look through my discharge book and it seems that i joined "Liverpool Bay" 2/2/84 but don't know if we actually met or not before you signed off...i presume it was around about then anyway.
Hi Stevie just noticed this, you joined her as I was paying off.
Old 7th January 2009, 02:33
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian d.cameron View Post
Hi Stevie just noticed this, you joined her as I was paying off.
Aye it appears so indeed Ian according to the dates...it's a bit of a job keeping up with all these threads on the site but great site all the same.
Old 15th February 2009, 08:46

Found out about this from Devious, on the bay boats from about 83 to 92, loads of fantastic memories, have been in touch with Craig Hardman, Tilly, Tiny, Wurzel, Sid Tranter, and loads more, also have a small web site for the bay boats, check it out, leave a message
http://www.loftyshears.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
there some pics of the lads, pics of some of the bay boats and a few other bits of interest.
Hoping to sort out a reunion for the lads that live up north this summer, probably be in Liverpool, so far I think theres Paul Dever, Tilly Doyle, Billy and the Flynns, myself, possibly Gary Dillon, anyone interested leave a message on me web site, will try and keep it updated.
All the best
Lofty
Old 15th February 2009, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendancuffe View Post
Hi, I was an engineer and sailed with OCL from 1982 to 1990. I particularly remember a girl called Misty in Wellington. My wife met Misty on her very first trip away with me Misty left an indelible impression!

Brendan
That would be 'Misty Wilcox?' Nice girl had a big nose and even bigger knockers, but a proper Kiwi Moll. I met her on Southland Star. Like many of the good girls down there, she had a unique sense of humour. we used to say "if she fell over, she would strike oil?" Love reading these posts boys keep them coming
Mick S
Old 7th March 2009, 08:51

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the words about my dad. It seems he was quite popular.
Yes I did sail with you for one trip. I think it was an early one, when I was still a wide eyed deck boy, flabbergasted at how great, (and mental) life at sea was. I remember you sitting behind the bar, laughing all the time (which seemed to be part of the AB job description then!!) I hope you are well.
If I remember rightly I sailed with your brother, Dave, too, when he was Chief Steward. Billy Flynn was the cook. Was he your brother? Or did I get that completely wrong?
Old 7th March 2009, 20:13

Hi denzil, How you doing. Are you still at sea? Say hi to your mam for me.
Old 15th March 2009, 12:52

Hello Terry, mate. You alright? I left sea 6 years ago (when the bairn was born) and got a job at Nissan. I'm finished at the end of March due to the crunch, like. I'm thinking about working away again. Just putting the feelers out now.
My mother says hello.
Old 15th March 2009, 15:40

Hi Denzil, Good to hear from you. I packed in just over two years ago. Had already moved to the Dominican republic and was getting sick of commuting back and forth. I was on a boat working out of Egypt at the time and just decided not to go back. Now have my own internet and constuction business over here.Wouldn,t mind having another run around the Aussie and Kiwi coasts though. Terry
Old 15th March 2009, 18:13
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
Your not missing the job then tel?
Old 15th March 2009, 20:05

Hi Tim. No i,m quite happy where i am. Nice to be able to walk in a straight line and not get thrown all over the place.
Old 18th March 2009, 04:55

gary dillon told me about this site........wondered if i'd ever find 1 for the bay boats.was there from '83 til '88. i still keep in touch with clerj, he lives out in aussie now..and martin gibbett, smurf. sorry to hear chris mullaney had to jack in; did a few trips with him, steve, if u get the chance tell him i was asking after him?(tony hayden)..we had few good laughs, think we sailed on the providence bay up the gulf. my all time fave trip was xmas 83 on the kowloon bay. chris mullaney, clerj, charlie ''the commodore'' mackenzie, splendid dennis williams,phil saunders,''reg'' chapman,rodger(the lead. stewart),etc, we were the ''scum element''!! not forgetting cap'n fitzgerald, who christened us. me an clerj still have a chuckle at his many rants. nice to know there's still some ocl clones out there...keep it up!.
Old 18th March 2009, 06:58

My location
i broke my leg on the botany bay whilst leaving genoa and on the voyage to aus, was allowed to keep my watch in the ol mans chair,but by the time we arrived in melbourne my knee was the size of a large orange and oh the bloody pain, i had been reduced to getting around onboard using two brooms as crutches.was taken to victoria house hospital were i spent a month after an op but while there met my future wife who was in obstetrics .five voyages later i had to come ashore for the conception of our first(one has to be there for that eh).have been in melbourne now for twenty six years,still married and have three daughters aged 25 22 22 thankyou ocl for the memories.
Old 20th March 2009, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzil f View Post
Hi Steve.

Thanks for the words about my dad. It seems he was quite popular.
Yes I did sail with you for one trip. I think it was an early one, when I was still a wide eyed deck boy, flabbergasted at how great, (and mental) life at sea was. I remember you sitting behind the bar, laughing all the time (which seemed to be part of the AB job description then!!) I hope you are well.
If I remember rightly I sailed with your brother, Dave, too, when he was Chief Steward. Billy Flynn was the cook. Was he your brother? Or did I get that completely wrong?
Yes Denzil i think it was possibly the Res or Mairangi that i sailed with you..i was a bit aff ma heid in them days ha ha ha lol. Am doing not too bad...on a ferry up North at the moment,not the best of jobs but a job anyway. I see you are out of a job end of the month...it's bad crack now with the credit crunch. Yes Dave is my brother indeed but sadly gone 11 years ago just before i left deepsea.
Regards Steve.
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:52

Sorry to hear about your brother, Steve. I'll never forget the stick he and Billy Flynn gave me. I had a right laugh. They were under orders from my dad to let me get away with nothing, of course!
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry wallace View Post
Hi Denzil, Good to hear from you. I packed in just over two years ago. Had already moved to the Dominican republic and was getting sick of commuting back and forth. I was on a boat working out of Egypt at the time and just decided not to go back. Now have my own internet and constuction business over here.Wouldn,t mind having another run around the Aussie and Kiwi coasts though. Terry
Your business sounds alright, Terry! Any jobs going for lazy, fat Geordies?
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:04

Quote:
Yes Denzil i think it was possibly the Res or Mairangi that i sailed with you..i was a bit aff ma heid in them days ha ha ha lol. Am doing not too bad...on a ferry up North at the moment,not the best of jobs but a job anyway. I see you are out of a job end of the month...it's bad crack now with the credit crunch. Yes Dave is my brother indeed but sadly gone 11 years ago just before i left deepsea.
Regards Steve.
Hi Stevie
I sailed with your brother Dave once cannot remember which ship.
He was always dressed very smart and a bit quite not like the rest of us animals. He was the chief engineers tiger that trip. Myself,Eddie Flann,Craig Sterling and John Davison ended up drinking and eating chineese in the Chiefs cabin one night in port. The Chief has his wife with him that trip and I think it was her that invited us. Anyway the chief went to see his wife to bed leaving us lot alone in his dayroom and Eddie managed to drop his chineese on the carpet, which he pushed all under the chair he was sitting in,the Chief came in as he was doing it saying thats ok my steward will clean in the morning.
Poor old Dave had to scrape it out with his hand as the chair was screwed down, thinking at the time it was sick.

Cheers Dave
Old 23rd March 2009, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzil f View Post
Sorry to hear about your brother, Steve. I'll never forget the stick he and Billy Flynn gave me. I had a right laugh. They were under orders from my dad to let me get away with nothing, of course!
Oh well Denzil it doesn't do you any harm when your a first tripper or so,helps to put you on the right track. It's a pity there's no respect nowadays with the young lads coming to sea,i'm about at my wits end at times with some of them i can tell you...they just say F OFF YOU OLD [email protected]!! Am getting that way indeed,got the big 50 coming up in May...what a thought.
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycut View Post
Hi Stevie
I sailed with your brother Dave once cannot remember which ship.
He was always dressed very smart and a bit quite not like the rest of us animals. He was the chief engineers tiger that trip. Myself,Eddie Flann,Craig Sterling and John Davison ended up drinking and eating chineese in the Chiefs cabin one night in port. The Chief has his wife with him that trip and I think it was her that invited us. Anyway the chief went to see his wife to bed leaving us lot alone in his dayroom and Eddie managed to drop his chineese on the carpet, which he pushed all under the chair he was sitting in,the Chief came in as he was doing it saying thats ok my steward will clean in the morning.
Poor old Dave had to scrape it out with his hand as the chair was screwed down, thinking at the time it was sick.

Cheers Dave
Must have been when he first joined the company and was quiet and didn't really drink much then i don't think he even started smoking till he was in his twentys...certainly made up for lost time. He would have been a bloody good steward in them days i would imagine...always took pride in his job,bet he was cursing Eddie Flann in the morning!! Good old days eh Dave!
Cheers Steve.
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:01

Quote:
Must have been when he first joined the company and was quiet and didn't really drink much then i don't think he even started smoking till he was in his twentys...certainly made up for lost time. He would have been a bloody good steward in them days i would imagine...always took pride in his job,bet he was cursing Eddie Flann in the morning!! Good old days eh Dave!
Cheers Steve.
Yes it was early days, Craig Sterling was cook then and John Davison 2nd cook both went on to be chief stewards.
As I was saying your David was always very smart looking wore a brilliant white shirt when at work he would have a beer or two but not go mad like the rest of us. Dont think he knew it was Eddie,just thought it was the chief.
Had some laughs with Eddie,he would raid the galley about two in the morning for a fry up of egg and chips, I would go through the hot press and open the shutter always tasted better knowing we could get caught,we would cook for anyone who was in the bar,even for the 2nd engineers wife one time, as she was eating hers, she said isnt this exciting lol ... Yes those were the days

Dave
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scum element! View Post
gary dillon told me about this site........wondered if i'd ever find 1 for the bay boats.was there from '83 til '88. i still keep in touch with clerj, he lives out in aussie now..and martin gibbett, smurf. sorry to hear chris mullaney had to jack in; did a few trips with him, steve, if u get the chance tell him i was asking after him?(tony hayden)..we had few good laughs, think we sailed on the providence bay up the gulf. my all time fave trip was xmas 83 on the kowloon bay. chris mullaney, clerj, charlie ''the commodore'' mackenzie, splendid dennis williams,phil saunders,''reg'' chapman,rodger(the lead. stewart),etc, we were the ''scum element''!! not forgetting cap'n fitzgerald, who christened us. me an clerj still have a chuckle at his many rants. nice to know there's still some ocl clones out there...keep it up!.
Hi Tony,
If you read through the OCL threads you will come across Chris Mullaney but will certainly mention you to him,we keep in regular contact...great mate of mine. Have i not sailed with you myself?
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:06

My location
Hello

Does anyone remember MARK BAILEY? I am his wife, Karel and I went on a few trips with Mark, so you may remember the pair of us. Anyway, more importantly is if you remember Mark, if you do, please can you get in touch, I am trying to organise his 50th Birthday party in August. In particular I would like to get in touch with Billy Flynn!! Thanks Karel (a.k.a. Welly)
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:04

george Peacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel Bailey View Post
Hello

Does anyone remember MARK BAILEY? I am his wife, Karel and I went on a few trips with Mark, so you may remember the pair of us. Anyway, more importantly is if you remember Mark, if you do, please can you get in touch, I am trying to organise his 50th Birthday party in August. In particular I would like to get in touch with Billy Flynn!! Thanks Karel (a.k.a. Welly)

Hi karel, yer i remember you And mark, you had lovely blond hair, I was on a couple of trips with you.
All the best to you both. George Peacock
Old 24th March 2009, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycut View Post
Yes it was early days, Craig Sterling was cook then and John Davison 2nd cook both went on to be chief stewards.
As I was saying your David was always very smart looking wore a brilliant white shirt when at work he would have a beer or two but not go mad like the rest of us. Dont think he knew it was Eddie,just thought it was the chief.
Had some laughs with Eddie,he would raid the galley about two in the morning for a fry up of egg and chips, I would go through the hot press and open the shutter always tasted better knowing we could get caught,we would cook for anyone who was in the bar,even for the 2nd engineers wife one time, as she was eating hers, she said isnt this exciting lol ... Yes those were the days

Dave
I remember Craig Sterling well but i can't seem to recall a John Davison. Aye Dave i had many a fry up myself in the wee small hours,i also used to slither through the hotpress...used to cook up alsorts bacon n' egg mostly,omelettes and kippers. Remember once doing kippers for myself and Wyn Cantlie...cut the heads off and put them to the side while i was griling them and Wyn came in pissed and scoffed the heads and said that's great kippers...that's the bloody heads i said there still under the grill ha ha!
I can't recall this Chief steward's name one trip on a baby bay but he thought he was smart in locking up the whole galley...alleyway door,poop deck door and E deck door in our alleyway, well one night in the wee small hours someone suggested we open the stores hatch so first we checked if anyone in officer's bar above...all clear was given and opened the hatch and down we went with a ladder,forgot to mention we knew all the lockers were never locked so anyway we had a field day and came out kitted with new overalls,boots and a few other things to boot!!
Cheers Steve