OCL Box boats - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
00:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

OCL Box boats

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old 24th March 2009, 10:03
Karel Bailey Karel Bailey is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
My location
Posts: 45
Hey George - I DO remember you!! How are you keeping these days? Do you remember singing George Thoroughgood songs in the crew bar? Do you happen to have any old crew lists for the trips that you went on? I am desperately trying to get in touch with a few old shipmates of Mark's (& mine), from 1984 onwards. Once I get a party date organised do you think you would be able to make it down to sunny Kent? Thanks for getting in touch, Karel xxx
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 24th March 2009, 10:24
DAVE F's Avatar
DAVE F DAVE F is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
I remember Craig Sterling well but i can't seem to recall a John Davison. Aye Dave i had many a fry up myself in the wee small hours,i also used to slither through the hotpress...used to cook up alsorts bacon n' egg mostly,omelettes and kippers. Remember once doing kippers for myself and Wyn Cantlie...cut the heads off and put them to the side while i was griling them and Wyn came in pissed and scoffed the heads and said that's great kippers...that's the bloody heads i said there still under the grill ha ha!
I can't recall this Chief steward's name one trip on a baby bay but he thought he was smart in locking up the whole galley...alleyway door,poop deck door and E deck door in our alleyway, well one night in the wee small hours someone suggested we open the stores hatch so first we checked if anyone in officer's bar above...all clear was given and opened the hatch and down we went with a ladder,forgot to mention we knew all the lockers were never locked so anyway we had a field day and came out kitted with new overalls,boots and a few other things to boot!!
Cheers Steve
I said John Davison but maybe it was Davies, he and Craig were great buddies always on the piss together. Another name that springs to mind is Billy Brotherson leading steward, I remember one time talking in the bar and saying to him that he was scotch ... Fatal Mistake ... He bellowed scotch is a drink I Am Scottish ..... lol Great Bloke
As for the midnight feasts, on the Rem with Eddie Flann he was bosun then
He would send me up in the dumb waiter from the stores flat to the galley...This one time there was trays of eggs sitting in it....I took them out to get in and just before Eddie closed the hatch he put the trays of eggs back in on my crouched up lap, of course they all fell off in transit making a right mess.... The next day I was 8 to 12 and was in the bar after lunch drinking with the galley boy Garry Evans.. I said you having another beer..He said no and explained he loaded up the lift with eggs and must have put them on wrong and they all fell off. Said he had to go and clean up the mess...I Just Kept Quite
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 24th March 2009, 13:18
terry wallace terry wallace is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by denzil f View Post
Your business sounds alright, Terry! Any jobs going for lazy, fat Geordies?
Its going ok Denzil, but like everywhere at the moment, could do with a bit more workload. I don,t know if we could employ a big fat geordie. Although if you still try as hard as you did when you were at sea then we would make an exception and try and forget which river you,re from. (only joking)
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 24th March 2009, 21:40
shayne tyson shayne tyson is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19
hi

did mark do his first trip in the company on the Kowloon Bay

shayne
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 25th March 2009, 02:36
stevie burgess stevie burgess is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by navycut View Post
I said John Davison but maybe it was Davies, he and Craig were great buddies always on the piss together. Another name that springs to mind is Billy Brotherson leading steward, I remember one time talking in the bar and saying to him that he was scotch ... Fatal Mistake ... He bellowed scotch is a drink I Am Scottish ..... lol Great Bloke
As for the midnight feasts, on the Rem with Eddie Flann he was bosun then
He would send me up in the dumb waiter from the stores flat to the galley...This one time there was trays of eggs sitting in it....I took them out to get in and just before Eddie closed the hatch he put the trays of eggs back in on my crouched up lap, of course they all fell off in transit making a right mess.... The next day I was 8 to 12 and was in the bar after lunch drinking with the galley boy Garry Evans.. I said you having another beer..He said no and explained he loaded up the lift with eggs and must have put them on wrong and they all fell off. Said he had to go and clean up the mess...I Just Kept Quite
Poor Gary,i would have thought you would have gave him a hand to clean it up...mind you i think i would have kept quiet myself,you better hope he doesn't come across this posting or you'll be rumbled ha ha. Myself and Ray Edgar used to have a carry on with the dumb waiter on the Res too...up and down/up and down,the pair of us rarely left the bar on our day off...turn to down the ER straight from the bar,those were the days eh! i could handle my bevy then!! ahh lovely
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 25th March 2009, 04:23
Succour Succour is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 276
Big River

I know a tall Geordie, but not fat.
He sings Big River. goes by the name of Nail.
We woke up to the sound of Rivets.
All wanted to do was join the territorials. and have an allottment like uncle Fred.
Life was simpler then.
Most have moved away.
I moped around Jarrow and Hebburn for too many years.
Now live in Malaysia.
Drink as much Tiger beer as god will allow and try to sing Roy Orbison songs.
'A love so beautiful' is a nice song.
Here's to absent friends.
Succour
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 25th March 2009, 08:36
Karel Bailey Karel Bailey is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
My location
Posts: 45
Hi there, I think he did! I am going to reel off a few names now, and hopefully at some point will go into the loft(!!) to get some old pictures out and post them in the gallery, might help if people saw what he looked like! Names then: Darren Adamson from Irlam Manchester, "BIRKIE" from Leics, Tim Dawson from Essex, Peter Dutton (Pedro) from La Pool, Dave "Doc" Dickinson from Leicester, Keith Esplin, Colin Pearce "Snake", Gary Everall (not sure if he was OCL, but deffo P&O Cargo Boats), Mike Furse, Alan Farley, Billy Flynn, someone called "Albie" from Bootle, Kev Ingham (P&O again), Darren Streeting to name a few.

Hilary Pedgrift was the Fleet Personnel person at Beagle HOuse (just thought I would throw this in for good measure!!)

Do any of you guys remember Varne Marsters, from Mount Eden and Sammi/Kim Marsters from East Tamaki South Auckland, they kept in touch with me for a long time, but we lost touch after a while (they were ships molls, but they were lovely!), as was Annette Nelson from Dunedin.

I remember going out for a meal in Hong Kong and doing a "runner", I didn't know this was going to happen and I had heels on, so predictably I got caught, but everyone else came back to the restaurant to settle the bill as well!

I remember on one boat, the crew bar was so dingy that we made a pact that if we went ashore we had to bring something back from ashore to cheer the bar up, I had a lovely chair, which was painted and Mark and someone else were caught trying to get traffic lights, they were nicked and put in cells overnight and had to go to court in NZ, it was a very worrying time LOL!!!

So, if you know us, please get in touch! Thanks Karel xxx


Did manage to get up into the loft and have added some pictures, another name has floated into my head - MIKE HORN, Cornish fella, he is in one of the pictures that I posted today.

Last edited by Karel Bailey; 25th March 2009 at 17:52.. Reason: EXTRA INFORMATION
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 26th March 2009, 00:34
DAVE F's Avatar
DAVE F DAVE F is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
Poor Gary,i would have thought you would have gave him a hand to clean it up...mind you i think i would have kept quiet myself,you better hope he doesn't come across this posting or you'll be rumbled ha ha. Myself and Ray Edgar used to have a carry on with the dumb waiter on the Res too...up and down/up and down,the pair of us rarely left the bar on our day off...turn to down the ER straight from the bar,those were the days eh! i could handle my bevy then!! ahh lovely
Yes that door from the stores flat to the bar seen a lot of traffic, was very handy ....
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 26th March 2009, 14:13
DAVE F's Avatar
DAVE F DAVE F is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
O.C.L Website on Multiply.com

I have created a website on Multipy
All you have to do is fill in a few details and give an email address ... Its Free To Join .... You can post Music, Videos, Pictures and and messages.
Check It Out .... http://oclbayboats.multiply.com/
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 29th March 2009, 10:32
Lofty Shears Lofty Shears is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 43
Hi guys, lots of people confirmed now for the reunion, also lots of new pics, (thanks Karel), it will be a cracking do, anyone not seen the Bay Boat web site yet, have a look, leave a message.

http://www.loftyshears.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

all the best
Lofty
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 29th March 2009, 13:52
DAVE F's Avatar
DAVE F DAVE F is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofty Shears View Post
Hi guys, lots of people confirmed now for the reunion, also lots of new pics, (thanks Karel), it will be a cracking do, anyone not seen the Bay Boat web site yet, have a look, leave a message.

http://www.loftyshears.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

all the best
Lofty
Hi Lofty
I dropped you an email regarding reunion, will try and make it if I am not working.

Regards Dave Foley
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 29th March 2009, 15:22
gerry o gerry o is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Hi denzil ,remember me i sailed with you about 3 or 4 times on the aussie coast ,im Gerry O'Neill from Belfast i was a steward with you then but now im cook aboard a small ship working for the scottish fisheries ,i see you out of work at the end of the month y not give them a call as they take on now and again cheers mate
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 29th March 2009, 15:30
gerry o gerry o is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
Poor Gary,i would have thought you would have gave him a hand to clean it up...mind you i think i would have kept quiet myself,you better hope he doesn't come across this posting or you'll be rumbled ha ha. Myself and Ray Edgar used to have a carry on with the dumb waiter on the Res too...up and down/up and down,the pair of us rarely left the bar on our day off...turn to down the ER straight from the bar,those were the days eh! i could handle my bevy then!! ahh lovely
Well stevie the last time i sailed with you i think it was on the Morton bay the old act 2 boat we had agood laugh in the yacht club at Botany bay ,i still got the monkeys fist key ring you made me. well im still at sea and was ancord up your neck of the woods yesterday im on a we fisheries boat not bad keeps the wolfs away from the door .cheers mate gerry
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:55
stevie burgess stevie burgess is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 488
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry o View Post
Well stevie the last time i sailed with you i think it was on the Morton bay the old act 2 boat we had agood laugh in the yacht club at Botany bay ,i still got the monkeys fist key ring you made me. well im still at sea and was ancord up your neck of the woods yesterday im on a we fisheries boat not bad keeps the wolfs away from the door .cheers mate gerry
Hi Gerry me old mate, The old ACT 2 i think it was indeed...joined her in Lisbon drydock 24th Oct '92 and paid off in La Spezia 7th Feb '93. That was the trip we went to a Mayday call off Banda Aceh West of Sumatra on 21st Jan when two tankers were in collision...Mearsk Navigator and Sanko Ono,the Mearsk ship was fully ablaze on port side. We were four weeks in Lisbon and had some good nights up the road...remember we got a small dish of prawns everytime we got a round in in the one bar we frequented,if i remember rightly the lager was quite potent too so plenty of hangovers all round!!
Yes the Yacht Club was a favourite haunt for some of us indeed.
Still make the odd keyfob yet but not been into the bellropes for a while now..more interested in the computer these days. Still at sea myself Gerry on the ferries up here...just came off duty tonight. That fisheries job your on will be a good wee number eh? Anyway mate enjoy your trip.
Cheers Steve.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:13
Karel Bailey Karel Bailey is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
My location
Posts: 45
Lofty, I have uploaded the crew list to the gallery, I suppose if anyone has any contact numbers for anyone on the lists then they could pass them onto you. Hope this helps with the reunion. Cheers Karel
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 4th April 2009, 06:33
Pete 'GFW' Holme Pete 'GFW' Holme is offline  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Hi Guys!
I sailed with P&O and I remember some of the names mentioned, admittedly some more than others!
I left in the 90's after being hit over the head with a hammer by Flipflop illegals while I was ashore in Hong Kong, I was robbed and left for dead with my head wedged under the wheels of an artic, thank God a security guard saw the blood and pulled me out before the truck driver drove off! Does anybody remember hearing about my 'little mishap'?
Denzil, I was on the voyage when we had the service for your Dad, Cardigan Bay or Table Bay I think, a sad day...but what a piss up afterwards!
Reading these stories really bring back memories, Terry Wallace, I think I may have sailed with you also, I was the scouse gadget who got banged up in Singapore for fighting with the other cadet after I broke his swizzel stick from Brannigans! I got a disciplinary for that!
Anyway I work as a docker for Norfolkline now, I work with a chap called Charlie (Albert) Daniels, he was at sea for decades, anyone remember him?
Im made up I have found this site, I will post some more names as and when they come back to me!
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 5th April 2009, 03:59
Paul Armstrong Paul Armstrong is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15
I was talking to Neil Lewis not long ago he still at sea with RFA.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 5th April 2009, 04:01
Paul Armstrong Paul Armstrong is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15
Hi gerry i remember you ,hows it going.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 5th April 2009, 04:31
VTR1000's Avatar
VTR1000 VTR1000 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
My location
Posts: 187
Puttin' faces to names I can't :(

Loads of names I can remember either meeting or them being talked about but unfortunately very few I can put a face to.

Anyway, below is the list of OCL/P&O ships I 'worked' on.

Encounter Bay: 16/06/89 - 03/12/89 (Double header)
Cardigan Bay: 05/02/90 - 11/06/90 (Double header)
Peninsular Bay: 07/08/90 - 10/10/90
Oriental Bay: 28/11/90 -30/01/91
Remuera Bay: 05/04/91 - 26/06/91
Oriental Bay: 12/08/91 - 15/10/91
Oriental Bay: 17/12/91 - 25/02/92
Resolution Bay: 07/04/92 - 30/06/92
Oriental Bay: 04/11/92 - 12/01/93 (Double header)
Jervis Bay: 09/02/93 - 13/04/93
Resolution Bay: 12/05/93 - 29/07/93
Mairangi Bay: 29/08/93 - 12/11/93
Peninsular Bay: 14/12/93 - 15/02/94
Osaka Bay: 22/03/94 - 05/06/94
Repulse Bay: 05/07/94 - 06/07/94 (Got the boot!)

If any of you were on any of those during those times, it would be good to hear from you.

Regards
Geordie(Robson)
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 6th April 2009, 01:14
stevie burgess stevie burgess is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR1000 View Post
Loads of names I can remember either meeting or them being talked about but unfortunately very few I can put a face to.

Anyway, below is the list of OCL/P&O ships I 'worked' on.

Encounter Bay: 16/06/89 - 03/12/89 (Double header)
Cardigan Bay: 05/02/90 - 11/06/90 (Double header)
Peninsular Bay: 07/08/90 - 10/10/90
Oriental Bay: 28/11/90 -30/01/91
Remuera Bay: 05/04/91 - 26/06/91
Oriental Bay: 12/08/91 - 15/10/91
Oriental Bay: 17/12/91 - 25/02/92
Resolution Bay: 07/04/92 - 30/06/92
Oriental Bay: 04/11/92 - 12/01/93 (Double header)
Jervis Bay: 09/02/93 - 13/04/93
Resolution Bay: 12/05/93 - 29/07/93
Mairangi Bay: 29/08/93 - 12/11/93
Peninsular Bay: 14/12/93 - 15/02/94
Osaka Bay: 22/03/94 - 05/06/94
Repulse Bay: 05/07/94 - 06/07/94 (Got the boot!)

If any of you were on any of those during those times, it would be good to hear from you.

Regards
Geordie(Robson)
Hi Geordie,
In response to your post...i joined Remuera in Tilbury 26/6/91 when you paid off according to my discharge book and then i joined Osaka 7/4/92 same day as you joined Res.
Paid off Res 22/9/92...last discharge on my 1st book so will have to check 2nd book for dates which is aboard the ferry at the moment.
I don't think i sailed with you.
Regards Steve.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 6th April 2009, 03:30
VTR1000's Avatar
VTR1000 VTR1000 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
My location
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
Hi Geordie,
In response to your post...i joined Remuera in Tilbury 26/6/91 when you paid off according to my discharge book and then i joined Osaka 7/4/92 same day as you joined Res.
Paid off Res 22/9/92...last discharge on my 1st book so will have to check 2nd book for dates which is aboard the ferry at the moment.
I don't think i sailed with you.
Regards Steve.
Might have had a beer with you before I left. I think it was the Rem where I missed my flight home on pay-off day. Had to spend a night in some fancy hotel near Heathrow. Cost me too
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 6th April 2009, 20:28
gerry o gerry o is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
Hi Gerry me old mate, The old ACT 2 i think it was indeed...joined her in Lisbon drydock 24th Oct '92 and paid off in La Spezia 7th Feb '93. That was the trip we went to a Mayday call off Banda Aceh West of Sumatra on 21st Jan when two tankers were in collision...Mearsk Navigator and Sanko Ono,the Mearsk ship was fully ablaze on port side. We were four weeks in Lisbon and had some good nights up the road...remember we got a small dish of prawns everytime we got a round in in the one bar we frequented,if i remember rightly the lager was quite potent too so plenty of hangovers all round!!
Yes the Yacht Club was a favourite haunt for some of us indeed.
Still make the odd keyfob yet but not been into the bellropes for a while now..more interested in the computer these days. Still at sea myself Gerry on the ferries up here...just came off duty tonight. That fisheries job your on will be a good wee number eh? Anyway mate enjoy your trip.
Cheers Steve.
Well Steve, back at your neck of the woods just ancord here of the Orkneys .you were saying about the bar in LISBON wee called it the CANACKERS BAR your right the beer did give you a right good kick in the morning and i can remember the old boy bringing us a wee plate of prawns ,started of with big one's then as the week's went on he give us wee one's and you told him to (ill put it another way f*** off and get the big one's anyway have you herd from any of the other lads. I get up to the Orkney's a few times so mybe we'll meat up and have a few Canacker's ha.ha.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 7th April 2009, 15:32
gerry o gerry o is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Armstrong View Post
Hi gerry i remember you ,hows it going.
hi paul i think i sailed with you 3 mybe 4 times i can remember we were on the res i think twice ,well what are you up to . At the moment im on my way bast the Orkneys on a wee fisherie's boat called the Minna were heading for for Greenock pay off on Easter monday ,are you still at sea ? any way hope to here from you soon good luck g
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 8th April 2009, 02:05
stevie burgess stevie burgess is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry o View Post
Well Steve, back at your neck of the woods just ancord here of the Orkneys .you were saying about the bar in LISBON wee called it the CANACKERS BAR your right the beer did give you a right good kick in the morning and i can remember the old boy bringing us a wee plate of prawns ,started of with big one's then as the week's went on he give us wee one's and you told him to (ill put it another way f*** off and get the big one's anyway have you herd from any of the other lads. I get up to the Orkney's a few times so mybe we'll meat up and have a few Canacker's ha.ha.
Ahh the CANACKERS BAR i think it was indeed Gerry,think the old boy called me Stefan...yeah the prawns got wee'er as the weeks went by. Well Gerry i keep in regular contact with Chris Mullaney also spoke to Bob Young a couple of times when he was last home on leave,he now works for Gulmar Offshore presently in the Gulf of Mexico as crane operator(6 on 6 off)he's due home again 1st week of May. Yeah that would be great if we could meet up for a pint sometime if and when you get alongside.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 8th April 2009, 02:38
stevie burgess stevie burgess is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR1000 View Post
Might have had a beer with you before I left. I think it was the Rem where I missed my flight home on pay-off day. Had to spend a night in some fancy hotel near Heathrow. Cost me too
Ouch that would have cost you a fair bit...too many beers on pay off day was it? Almost done it myself a few times.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rame Peninisula Boats of the 19th and 20th Century Cawsandboy Ship Research 3 2nd December 2011 17:05
World War Two Torpedo Boats rickles23 Ship Research 0 6th December 2007 06:30
Herring Boats from the 70s Irish Sea Mike Craine Say Hello 10 10th April 2007 21:23
NZ H Boats teachertalk1234 New Zealand Shipping Co. 0 17th October 2005 13:02



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.