Garthpool, the last UK owned sailing ship in commercial use - Ships Nostalgia
13:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Garthpool, the last UK owned sailing ship in commercial use

User Tag List

Old 7th February 2018, 23:22

Garthpool, the last UK owned sailing ship in commercial use

A few years ago I was looking through family snaps when I found this photo, with message written on the back by my late father, also William Bramhill (1913-1997).

I believe his writing is contemporary: "This is the last British owned sialing [sic] vessel, the "Garthpool". She is homeward bound in this photo with a cargo of wheat from Australia. She is to be sold to Finland after this trip."

Checking on the web at the time I was delighted to find the Stan Hugill website, which recorded the last voyage of Garthpool in 1929 via a Sea Breezes article from 1930. The site also had an audio record of the voyage but is no longer available. I hope it has been archived somewhere. (Edit: the audio account of the Garthpool sinking is here: http://chanteycabin.co.uk/Hugill%20S...0Garthpool.mp3)

Dad was probably on his first transatlantic trip on ss Senator in 1929. His mum looks to have treated him to a camera for the voyage. I presume he snapped Garthpool as he sailed southwards for the Panama Canal and San Francisco, to collect a cargo of coal.

Garthpool spent from July to October 1929 being repaired in Hull before sailing again, but to her doom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garthpool2.jpg (529.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Garthpool1.jpg (158.3 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by chiefsub68; 7th February 2018 at 23:38.. Reason: Adding URL
Old 7th February 2018, 23:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

http://chanteycabin.co.uk/Hugill%20Site/

Will get you the Stan Hugill site.
Old 8th February 2018, 01:22

The Garthpool was registered in Montreal, in her final role and, that makes her Canadian.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:30

The William Mitchell was the last trading square-rigger owned in Britain. If the Garthpool, registered in Montreal as Samsette says, should be considered British, then the Diego registered in Port Louis should be so too, and she outlived the Garthpool. According to Alex A. Hurst, the British should be glad that the Garthpool was not registered in the UK. Had she been then there would have been a trial, and questions asked about why the ship hit the rocks in a place obviously not suited for the passage of sailing ships. Hurst really has it in for the master, David Thompson, who he accuses not only of incompetence, but of enormous greed when it came to deprieving his crews of whatever cost money. (A. A.Hurst: Longitude 30, and Square Riggers The Final Epoch.)

Some earlier threads on Hugill and Garthpool:
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...gill+garthpool

Last edited by stein; 8th February 2018 at 14:33..
Old 10th February 2018, 20:13
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005

Interesting posts. I have Captain A.G. Course's Windjammers of the Horn. The story of the last British fleet of square-rigged sailing ships. The last two chapters are dedicated to Garthpool. It seems Stan Hugill's account of the last voyage forms a large part of the last chapter.
Old 10th February 2018, 20:58
James_C James_C is online now   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
Technically Garthpool would have been a British ship as at that time ships registered within either the UK or her colonies/dominions all had a British certificate of registry. With some countries (e.g. Australia) etc that only changed about 20/30 years ago.

Jim
Old 10th February 2018, 22:06

Garthpool in Alexander Dock, HULL 1929 >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (100.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by cueball44; 11th February 2018 at 09:35..
Old 11th February 2018, 00:15
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Date must be wrong

That date makes the ship very old, before old William invaded England.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
The Garthpool was registered in Montreal, in her final role and, that makes her Canadian.
Here's me thinking she must have belonged to Ropners.

John T
Old 11th February 2018, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Here's me thinking she must have belonged to Ropners.

John T
Built in 1891 by W.B. Thompson & Co. in Dundee as Juteopolis for C. Barrie of Dundee. In 1899 to F. E. Bliss of London. 1900 to Anglo American Oil Co of London. In 1911 to G. Windram and Son, Liverpool. And then in 1917, as the name she was then given indicates, to William Garthwaite of Liverpool. Who in 1920 moved the port of registry to Montreal in Canada, while continuing to fly the British flag.

It is perhaps merely a matter of taste, and perhaps dependent on your position in the shipping hierarchy, whether you call her British or not. Here in Norway the many Norwegian-owned Liberia-registered ships were considered Norwegian one moment, and not Norwegian the next, sometimes by the same man.

How about the barque Diego then, trading until 1935 (that is six years beyond the end of Garthpool), registered in Mauretius, owned by James Bell of Hull* - was she British or not?

*I have this information from "Square riggers, the Final Epoch" by A. A. Hurst, but lately I have begun to doubt the accuracy of it. According to Hurst, the Diego, when she as the Thomaso Drago was sold by E. Drago of Genoa in 1911 to a Swedish firm in Landskrona, and named James, was from then on actually owned by James Bell of Hull. And he adds: "much as he had run the "Bell's" under Norwegian flag." Which must mean that when the Bellhouse, for example, was registered in Tønsberg as owned by Alf Monsen, she was actually still owned by Bell. No why would he want to have his ships surreptiously registered in Norway? The big war when Norway had attempted neutrality was long past. As for the Diego, the last registered owner seems to have been a Sir H. Leclezie of Port Louis, but according to Hurst this was merely pro forma, James Bell having changed his false flag once more. ...I think I will retreat from this Diego as last of the UK owned claim.

Last edited by stein; 11th February 2018 at 14:06..
Old 11th February 2018, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
That date makes the ship very old, before old William invaded England.
What date is wrong ?

Last edited by cueball44; 11th February 2018 at 09:37..
Old 11th February 2018, 13:34
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
When I made ny post the date was 1049, I now see the date has been changed.
Old 12th February 2018, 23:07

Thank you for all the interesting follow-up on this. As I said, the writing on the back of the photo is, I believe, contemporaneous. My Dad, then 16, clearly believed Garthpool was the last sailing ship under the British flag.