SN Member Skeds & Special Events Stations on Amateur Radio Bands - Ships Nostalgia
19:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

SN Member Skeds & Special Events Stations on Amateur Radio Bands

User Tag List

Old 12th October 2012, 11:30
no longer actively involved

My location
SN Member Skeds & Special Events Stations on Amateur Radio Bands

A few members have asked me to create a thread on SN in order for the large number of radio amateurs we have on SN to maybe arrange skeds with eachother and suchlike. Also, notice of maritime related special event stations can be posted to this thread.
So here it is.

Andy
Old 12th October 2012, 12:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
When in Oz I frequent a maritime net known as The Comedy Net.... 7087LSB at 2040Z. Serves yachts in the SW Pacific.
In Chile I can be found on the Patagonian Net which is on a marine band , 8164 USB at 0900 Chilean time ( UTC varies as they go from winter to summer time and back.. stays on 0900 local). Covers yachts from well into the South Atlantic and as far west as... on occasion...Tonga. Run by Wolfgang in Villarica.

VK3JFH/VP8DNM/MEPP5
Old 20th October 2012, 06:46
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976

West Coast USA down into Mexico Manana Net does not get the amount of traffic it used too but it is still on air @ 1830Z for the warm up session, the net opens at 1900Z

On 14.340 or if someone has captured that freq, 14.346.

Monday - Saturday, never on Sunday.

Off the internet West coast of Mexico and USA marine weather forecasts.

Greg Hayden
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:26

My location
The Hurricane Watch Net on 14325KHz ostensibly operates whenever an Atlantic Hurricane is about to strike land. In practice this usually means U.S. land or a large island in the Caribbean or Bahamas; they have been known to ignore the Windward and Leewards and other small caribbean islands.
A very regimented sked which serves as a conduit for weather reports from hams to the National Hurricane Centre in Miami.
In days gone by it probably served a useful purpose for the Centre in gathering reports from operators actually in the vicinity of a hurricane, with information they would otherwise not been able to obtain at first hand. These days, however, anyone can email the NHC and avoid the communication difficulties of shortwave radio (and the editing of reports by intervening ham operators).
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naytikos View Post
the communication difficulties of shortwave radio (and the editing of reports by intervening ham operators).
'Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance'

The number of times I have seen that not only on ham radio but also on ships' bridges.
You ask the mate to pass a message and after it has passed through his own personal enigma machine between his ears you are left wondering if it is in fact your message that is being relayed......
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:50

Do any of you radio experts have any idea what those 'numbers' stations which transmit on shortwave are?
I have often heard them while scanning shortwave, a voice, often female, reading a series of what appear to be random numbers. The voice sometimes sounds as if it is artificially generated.
I have heard theories that they are government stations transmitting coded messages to intelligence operatives.
Anyone know the truth?
Regards,
Pat
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:59

My location
Yep spy stations.... just google 'numbers stations'... I had the Havana one on 5898 the other day... first one I have ever actually heard.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:02

My location
I also bought an ELAD FDM-SW1 a few months back.... computer controlled SDR that lets you look at a big swag of spectrum at a time... amazing how many over the horizon radars there are out there
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:27
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1960 - 1976

The US National Hurricane Center

http://www.hwn.org/

The net was up on 14.325 and active 24/7 the end of August 2012 during Hurricane Isaac. I heard a Houma, Louisiana amateur broadcasting while Isaac’s eye was over Houma.

Greg Hayden
Old 24th October 2012, 21:26

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
I also bought an ELAD FDM-SW1 a few months back.... computer controlled SDR that lets you look at a big swag of spectrum at a time... amazing how many over the horizon radars there are out there
Yes, frequently impinging on the HF amateur bands... although doesn't tend to last more than 30mins. 15m and 12m get a lot of problems, although I think the radar operation is MUF related.
Old 25th October 2012, 05:09

My location
posted by Pat Kennedy:
Quote:
Do any of you radio experts have any idea what those 'numbers' stations which transmit on shortwave are?
I have often heard them while scanning shortwave, a voice, often female, reading a series of what appear to be random numbers. The voice sometimes sounds as if it is artificially generated.
I have heard theories that they are government stations transmitting coded messages to intelligence operatives.
Anyone know the truth?
Regards,
Pat
Cisco is right. They are not only on 'shortwave', but often to be found hidden on C-band TV satellite transponders. These transmissions are always in morse code, though.
Given the proliferation of satellite dishes around the world, your average spy or 'sleeper' draws no attention by watching satellite television and merely having a receiver which can tune slightly differently from the commercial varieties.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:26
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1980

If you look on the Radio Officers Association web site you will find details
of Skeds that they keep
Old 13th November 2012, 15:53
Active: 1972 - 2000

John K3WWP and Michael KC2EGL will be operating from the USS Requin on November 21st. They have use of the radio room from 15:00Z until 21:30Z and will be operating the radio gear belonging to the USS Requin for the first hour. After that they will be using their own KX-3's. It will be a CW only operation and QRP after the first hour. At least some operation will be around 14.050MHz.

USS Requin is a WWII submarine which is now a museum piece of the Carnegie Science Center and is moored just South of the Three Rivers Point in Pittsburgh.
Old 24th December 2012, 20:04
Active: 1963 - 1995

I am posting this for info........

National Coastwatch Mablethorpe - Eagle Radio Club Mablethorpe - Raynet, Mablethorpe; Get together to Commemorate the 1953 Flood

Local Radio Amateurs, members of the National Coastwatch Mablethorpe Team, plus Eagle Radio Group members and also volunteers of the local Radio Amateur Emergency group Raynet are planning manning a Amateur Radio Station (MX0ERG) from the site of the NCI Station at Quebec Road Car Park, Mablethorpe on Sunday 27th January to commemorate the Flood that hit Mablethorpe and devastated the East Coast of Great Britain and some of the Low countries. The groups are hoping to contact as many Local Radio Amateurs as they can especially those that now reside within the areas that were flooded in 1953, places such as Canvey Island Essex, plus contact as many of the National Coastwatch stations around the coastline of Great Britain, as an exercise of how to set up Emergency Communications without the use of Computers, Faxes, and Telephone. IN other words the in the spirit of 1953.

Raynet, the Radio Amateurs Emergency group was founded on the back of the 1953 Floods because of the fact that the Humber Radio station sited at that period at Trusthorpe not 5 kilometers from NCI Mablethorpe's current location, was inundated and was unable to respond to the many nautical Mayday calls that were being received, two Mablethorpe Radio Amateurs took matters into their own hands and in contravention of the Radio Licence managed to contact the vessels using morse code, and relayed message from the shore to the vessels. It is that spirit that the teams are attempting to recreate, but using Radio technology. Both Voice and morse communications will be attempted from the temporary site. After the flood the GPO the regulator of the wireless bands identified a need for a form of emergency cover and Raynet was formed, Raynet now is allied to the Radio Society of Great Britain. Radio Amateurs have to pass a series of examinations, both technical and theory, but the Eagle Radio group does run regular course for aspiring amateur especially young members of the computer generation, more information from Eagle Radio Groups web site.

It is politely suggested that NCI teams throughout the country contact any Radio Amateurs they may have on NCI role or known personally - if none then contact either your local Amateur Radio Club or local Raynet group details can be found either www.rsgb.org.uk or try your local Emergency Planning office - ( although in the severely flooded areas of the South West they may not be happy for such contact for which we fully under stand).

We have plans to broadcast on Amateur frequencies using 80 metres, 40meters and 20 metres plus 144 MHz VHF sideband between the hours of 1000 - 1500 utc. We plan to set up from around 0830utc so there may be test transmissions before that 1000 - The Callsign MX0ERG the clb callsign of Eagle Radio Group will used by kind of permission of the Club Licensee. Contacts will be acknowledge by a Traditional QSL Card and NCI Stations will receive a Certificate, Acknowledging their participation.

Further information can be obtained by email to [email protected], or telephone 01507 477842
Old 11th January 2013, 17:48

RNLI SOS Radio week 2013

RNLI SOS Radio week runs from 19 to 27 January 2013 and more than 40 stations have registered to take part. There is an award for contacting registered stations. Full details of the stations on the website at http://www.sosradioweek.org.uk/stations/
Old 15th January 2013, 21:22

KM1CC will be on air to celebrate the 110th anniversary of the first wireless Transatlantic message sent from the USA to Europe on January 18, 1903.

This message was from President Theodore Roosevelt to King Edward VII; it was transmitted in International Morse code by Marconi from his Wireless Station in Wellfleet- now part of Cape Cod National Seashore.

Since the former Marconi station has now fallen into the sea, KM1CC will operate from the former Coast Guard Station, Eastham, MA-USA FN 51, Barnstable County.

When: Thursday, January 17 about 1800 EST through Sunday, January 20, 2013 1500 EST

Most operation will be CW. Conditions and bands permitting find us +-10 kHz

17M 18.080 CW 18.160 SSB
20M 14.030 CW 14.260 SSB
40M 7.030 CW 7.130, 17.260 SSB
80M 3.530 CW 3.660, 3.860 SSB

We will post frequencies on http://www.dxsummit.fi/ We plan to operate mostly CW, but will switch to SSB now and then.

View KM1CC's Facebook page for more information and photographs - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Km1cc...94311877270636
Old 30th January 2013, 02:05

GB4PV - Princess Victoria

GB4PV is around at the moment, remembering 60 years since the Princess Victoria disaster on 31st January 1953.

Some information on GB4PV and the Princess Victoria at http://www.qrz.com/db/GB4PV.

Info on Radio Officer David Broadfoot GC at http://maritimeradio.pro/radio-offic...foot/index.htm

No schedule for GB4PV is known but has been noted on various bands operating both CW and SSB - check http://dxfor.me/?_s=GB4PV for latest spots.
Old 17th March 2013, 12:44

My location
Bob VP8LP (and sometimes his xyl) are currently operating a special event VP8LIZ for the Lady Elizabeth
Old 7th April 2013, 13:52

Recreation of the First Australian Ship to Shore QSO

FROM Peter VK4QC

A few of us ex-R/O's will be re-enacting the very first ship to shore QSO in Australia which happened on 9th April 1903 between the HMCS GAYUNDAH and a shore station based in Brisbane.

We will be setting up a base station near the original site of the shore station at Holland Park, Brisbane and communicating with the HMAS DIAMANTINA VK4RAN which is a decommissioned museum ship in Brisbane harbour.

The 110th anniversary of this event will take place at 2330Z 7 Apr 2013 on 7020 and 14059 KHz.

Callsigns used will be VK4ALN (Deanne), VK4TT (Keith) and VK4QC (Peter)

All other amateur stations will be invited to call in with signal reports.
Old 11th April 2013, 02:15

Maritime Radio Day 2013 takes place from 1200 GMT this Sunday April 14th until 2200 GMT Monday April 15th

Full information can be found on http://www.doese-apprt.de/mrd/ , including links to a list of registered participants, suggested frequencies, propagation forecast, timetable of bands based on propagation and more.

A spotting page is available at http://www.cwfun.org/funspots/mrd/
Old 9th May 2013, 15:29

Battle of the Atlantic special event 20-27th May

Bill Cross, G0ELZ, Chairman of the Marine Museum Society, Wallasey, UK, and David Oakden G3UFO, have announced that special event call signs GB70BOA and GB70WA will be on the air between May 20-27th.

The event will be hosted by the Marine Radio Museum Society (Wallasey) [resident callsign GB4FPR], at Fort Perch Rock New Brighton.

Members of the Wirral and District Amateur Radio Club (WADARC), the Chester & District Amateur Radio Society (CADARS) and the Tall Trees Contest Group [G5D] (based in Cheshire) will activate GB70BOA from Fort Perch Rock at the Mersey entrance and GB70WA from the Leasowe Lighthouse.

The activity is to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic. Approximately 2,800 merchant ships were lost during this battle and 30,000 merchant seamen lost their lives. Similarly, 30,000 Allied Naval and Air Force personnel and 30,000 Kriegsmarine sailors also lost their lives. These numbers vary according to whose history of WW2 you read, and the above numbers are a rough average.

Operations will take place on all band 80-10 meters, as well as VHF/UHF operations on 144 and 432 MHz on all modes. This event is especially important to Liverpool and other Merseyside hams because the battle was commanded from the Western Approaches command and is now a premiere WW II museum in Liverpool.

Operators are hoping to make over 2800 contacts during this period. A special QSL card is being produced in commemoration.

More details can be found on QRZ.com as well as: http://www.clanlinereunion.co.uk/BA70-page10.html
GB70BOA and GB70WA are part of the official recognition of this event
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:06
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1974 - Present

Just wanted to put up info on the East Coast USA Old Military Radio Nets (phone and CW). The phone net has been meeting at o'dark hundred (0500 Eastern) through around 0700 on 3885 kc every Saturday morning since about 1989. Most stations check in on AM, since that is the only voice mode supported by most of the mil sets being used which date back to WW2 and earlier (unless you count the simultaneous AM and FM of the venerable BC-375s/191s!), but sideband check ins, and even CW from those on low power in the field or mobile are also welcome. Net control is usually Ted, W3PWW in York PA. We get check ins from the midwest and up and down the East Coast from Florida to Maine. Recently, we had 16 different ART-13s check in to one session!

The CW net meets on Sunday night from 2100 Eastern to about 2200 (we usually do two rounds of the net check ins) on 3570 kc. Ted is also usually NCS on the CW net. LST325 (WW2LST) with RO Perry W8AU, is a frequent check in if they are underway or Perry is on board at their Evansville Indiana homeport. Several Federal and Mackay, and Navy shipboard transmitters (TCM, TCK, TBL etc) show up regularly, USS Massachusetts also is up on the net from time to time (N1EPL).

73 de AJ1G

Chris Bowne
Stonington,CT
Old 20th July 2013, 02:22

ON70REDSTAR - Red Star Line - 21 Sep to 21 Oct 2013

Between 1873 and 1934 the Ocean liners from the Red Star Line sailed to the United States with more than two million adventurers and fortune-hunters on board.

Special callsign ON70REDSTAR will air on HF SSB from 21 September 'til 21 October 2013 to commemorate the Red Star Line and to celebrate the opening of the Red Star Line Museum in Antwerp on 28 September.

QSL information on QRZ.com (www.qrz.com/db/ON70REDSTAR).

Museum information www.redstarline.be/
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:02

II1RT - 100 years of the rank of Radio Telegraphist in the Italian Royal Navy

2013 celebrates 100 years since the introduction of the category of "Radio telegraphist" among the ranks of the Italian Royal Navy.

Many stations, operated by INORC (Italian Naval "Old Rhythmers" Club) members, will be on the air until 2359 UTC 12th December 2013 with special call II1RT followed by the number of the respective call area.

The Italian Royal Navy, under Law 797 of 21st July 1913 established the category of "Radio Operator" and its distinctive six sparks generated between two balls of the spark gap .

The Italian Navy had already ' begun to take an interest in radio with a period of collaboration with Marconi. The transatlantic transmissions from 1901 and 1902 finally dispelled any doubt about the validity of wireless telegraphy, so that King Victor Emmanuel III led the Navy to make available to scientist the Royal Cruiser "Carlo Alberto" which performed a radio-cruise from Naples to the seas at the extreme north of Europe.

The Navy had a large number of staff who were already familiar with Morse code, including semaphore men and helmsman. After short courses of retraining these men were registered for Wireless Telegraphy service.

In the early years, the Italian Royal Navy developed an intensive program of organizational and technical preparation of their personnel . In 1903 exercises were carried out with wireless telegraphy and between 1904 and 1905 almost all the major ships and some torpedo boats were provided with a WT station. In 1906 more formal training for wireless operators commenced at Varignano, La Spezia which was already the School or Semaphore.

http://www.inorc.it/

http://www.qrz.com/db/II1RT
Old 24th December 2013, 02:25

486kHz transmission on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day by WG2XFQ

Brian Justin, WA1ZMS/4, an active participant in the ARRL’s
WD2XSH 600 meter experimental project, will transmit voice and
music on 486kHz as WG2XFQ on Christmas Day and then again on New Year’s Day.

Transmissions will begin at 00.01 GMT and end at 23.59 GMT.

Justin will use an AM audio loop modulating his vintage-style,
homebrew transmitter to honour Reginald Fessenden’s Christmas Eve 1906 AM voice transmission.