Indo China Steam Navigation - Page 14 - Ships Nostalgia
04:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Indo China Steam Navigation

User Tag List

Old 2nd September 2017, 18:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1952 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username View Post
Nick, i felt it was very bad form NOT to have the Saigon linen suit slightly rumpled!
Jon
I am glad you too can recall that Somerset Maugham era clobber we young gentlemen wore in those days. Our poor 'boy' had to wash and press them after a single outing. On an Hboat, they would be washed in a rusty bucket on No. 3 hatch, which always led to unsightly rust stains to be removed later with 'Movol', and pressed on the saloon table after the sahibs had partaken of their last meal of the day. Even when starched they tended to collect dirt very easily. I am sure our 'boys' gave a collective sigh of relief when the suits finally fell out of fashion in the early 60s.

Nick
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:43

Captain Reeves - an "interesting" personality, used to waffle around Eastern Star wearing white uniforms made of quality silk - apparently very cool and comfortable in the tropics but also very expensive but probably paid for with squeeze.
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlball View Post
Captain Reeves - an "interesting" personality, used to waffle around Eastern Star wearing white uniforms made of quality silk - apparently very cool and comfortable in the tropics but also very expensive but probably paid for with squeeze.
What a 'nasty' mind you have Peter. He was known as Garlic Guts and topped the list of masters young officers feared to sail under.I was one of the lucky ones though probably in retrospect he was not as bad as all that. Young people have always been very judgemental of their elders, haven't they?

Nick
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:11

well I sailed with him for one long round voyage and it was not a pleasant experience - the only ICSN master that I could not get along with in any way. He had a major "down" on me.
Old 2nd September 2017, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlball View Post
well I sailed with him for one long round voyage and it was not a pleasant experience - the only ICSN master that I could not get along with in any way. He had a major "down" on me.
So the stories were really true. Looking back that is not too surprising because I never did meet anyone who had a good word to say about him though I guess his Mum must have loved him.

Nick
Old 3rd September 2017, 03:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwilson89 View Post
So the stories were really true. Looking back that is not too surprising because I never did meet anyone who had a good word to say about him though I guess his Mum must have loved him.

Nick
I recall Don Gibbons saying that he sailed with him in the STAR. The Agent came onboard and asked Don where the Old Man was, whereupon Don told him he was up on Z Deck. Z Deck? Yes, Zoo Deck, there is a pig and a cat up there!!

And then there was the famed Capt. Underpants! Apparently turned up at Kai Tak to go on home leave together with his Amah and a 50kg bag of rice to feed her with during his leave!
A school chum of mine lived somewhere in Devon near Chalky, and held him in high esteem.

Jon
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:54

Chalkie White stayed on and on and would have retired with an ICSN pension. The transition for him from the old style cargo liners to all kind of tramps and bulkies must have been quite an adjustment. I never sailed with him but always heard anecdotes about him (including the underpants). Those who had sailed with him spoke well of him.
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:21

Jardines shipping

I sailed on the "Eastern Queen "as a 4th engineer during 1967,We carried 100 passengers and general cargo from Melbourne,Sydney,Brisbane up to Guam,then on to Yokkaichi,Nagoya,Yokohama and Kobe,staying about 12 days in Japan,then return to Australia. The food was very good,with authentic Chinese,or British. However,as an engineer,it was a hard life,the ship was built in 1950 with äll the latest anti-piracy features,including cabins for 4 European guards,as well as steel bulletproof doors between crew and passenger accommodation-the ship was in terrible repair,especially in the engine room,.There were no spanners or basic tools,no spares, we had to try to fabricate any spares we might need on the antiquated lathe and when in port,had to visit other ships to borrow tools,to be able to carry out the on going machinery surveys, the old boilers were always bursting tubes, and there was never any shore repair men called in,we had to just keep patching things up,as best we could. The one saving grace is that the company provided oxy-acetylene equipment,we used that instead of using spanners,which we did not have.After a hard day slaving in the hot engine room one needed to wash up. Provide soap? you must be joking.You were provided with pumice stone which took your skin off,as well as oil and grease.Soap cost money! I enjoyed my time on the Eastern Queen, for the great social life and food,but always wondered if Jardines run all of their ships on a shoestring,as they did this one. Dale Collins.
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:43

Hi Dale. I was 2/O on Eastern Queen for 18 months around the same time as you. It was a great social life aboard as you say and on deck was not too hard-working and the run was great - one month on the Oz coast then 10 days to Japan via Guam, ten days Jap coast and ten days back to Oz. The ship was one of the last of the old-style cargo-passenger liners. Peter Ballantyne
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:32

When I called at Nauru on the RCS Belama I was told that there was several ex Indo-China mates there as pilots but at that time they were on leave.Later I recruited some of our surplus sea staff form the Solomons to Nauru Shipping as they were keen to go there.
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username View Post
I recall Don Gibbons saying that he sailed with him in the STAR. The Agent came onboard and asked Don where the Old Man was, whereupon Don told him he was up on Z Deck. Z Deck? Yes, Zoo Deck, there is a pig and a cat up there!!

And then there was the famed Capt. Underpants! Apparently turned up at Kai Tak to go on home leave together with his Amah and a 50kg bag of rice to feed her with during his leave!
A school chum of mine lived somewhere in Devon near Chalky, and held him in high esteem.

Jon
Chalkie was definitely odd but still a gentleman, very much so, always full of stories of the wardroom from his early days as a sub-'mariner. Saw him occasionally here in Vancouver in the 80s when he was master of a ship Westocean?? on long term charter to Seaboard Shipping.

His saving grace was his wife Cynthia whom he met and married in Hk in 1959. Honeymooned in Manila but then it was probably a perk for her because at the time she worked for BOAC. training Chinese stewardesses.

Yes, I remember the underpants well even though we only did one brief round trip to Japan together on the Muse in late 1963. In Shanghai he had all the mates memorizing the ship numbers of the Chinese navy ships in the Whangpoo River for the Admiralty in HK .

Nick
Old 3rd September 2017, 17:52

As a cadet when keeping the movement book on the bridge it was also your job to make notes on a slip of paper of the numbers and silhouette of the Chinese naval vessels that were passed, for later conveyance to the RN in HK. One time on Eastern Saga the master, Maxie Groundwater, on the way into Shanghai, he pointed out a crowded and very noisy passing Yangste River steamer heading for upriver, as an ex-ICSN owned rivership from pre-revolution days. About 20 years ago I found my way with my son to Wuhan (Hankow) for an up river voyage to Chungking through the rapids and gorges, before the newer great Yangste dam was built. Nowadays it can be done in 5- star luxury but then it was all very basic.
Old 3rd September 2017, 18:04

On that voyage upriver on the Yangste I spent the whole trip out on deck looking at the wonderful scenery. My son (in his 20s) spent the whole time inside the nextdoor cabin with some HK Chinese guys - all smoking and drinking beer while playing cards (My son Nick spoke Mandarin but not Cantonese). The HK guys were doing the river trip so as to look for business opportunities. With the HK changover looming, I asked them if that meant that HK was going to become like China. They said NO - instead that China was going to become like HK. Guess what - they were right !!
Old 5th September 2017, 04:49

Smile Great Cultural Revolutions

Having witnessed first hand the madness of Mao's Great Cultural Revolution and sensing it may breakout in Unhinged States of America with the statue breaking rampage and could ensue here in Australia decided it was time to take precautions

I took down my National flag peeled the NRA sticker off my front window. I disconnected my home alarm system and quit the candy-ass Neighborhood Watch. I bought two Pakistani flags and put one at each corner of the front yard. Then I purchased the black flag of ISIS (which you CAN Buy on EBAY) and ran it up the flag pole.

Now the Federal Police, ASIO, Border Protection Force and other agencies are all watching my house 24/7. I've NEVER felt safer.

Plus, I bought Burkas for me to wear when I shop or travel. Everyone moves out of the way, and security can't pat me down. If they say I'm a male wearing a burka, I just say I'm feeling like a woman today.

Hot Damn...Safe at last!!!
Old 5th September 2017, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Macdonald View Post
Having witnessed first hand the madness of Mao's Great Cultural Revolution and sensing it may breakout in Unhinged States of America with the statue breaking rampage and could ensue here in Australia decided it was time to take precautions

I took down my National flag peeled the NRA sticker off my front window. I disconnected my home alarm system and quit the candy-ass Neighborhood Watch. I bought two Pakistani flags and put one at each corner of the front yard. Then I purchased the black flag of ISIS (which you CAN Buy on EBAY) and ran it up the flag pole.

Now the Federal Police, ASIO, Border Protection Force and other agencies are all watching my house 24/7. I've NEVER felt safer.

Plus, I bought Burkas for me to wear when I shop or travel. Everyone moves out of the way, and security can't pat me down. If they say I'm a male wearing a burka, I just say I'm feeling like a woman today.

Hot Damn...Safe at last!!!

Well done, RGM, you haven't lost your sense of humour a bit!

Jon
Old 21st January 2018, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
I note this goes back to 2009. I'm not too clever on getting around this site. If you are still there Garry I was 3/E on Loksang, 1948 to 1951.

Eastern Saga was in the fleet, then Queen and Glory came before I left.
Hi
I know this thread is old but I’ve just found this site. My father Wesley Bartlett was c/O on the Loksang 47-48 and then again 55-56 as master. I’m also trying to track down Laurie C Cox, Master and Ron Le Royd.
I am trying to find out a bit more about Wesley. I know he was on “sick leave”a lot, which was probably alcohol related. I’ve got his “resignation” acceptance letter from ICSN with all his ships and dates.
Hope you can throw some light!
Caroline
Born HK 1950
Old 21st January 2018, 16:21

Hello Caroline. I sailed with Laurie Cox on HINSANG. He later left the Company after a grounding and went on to the "Outside" Companies, which were the non-British ones in HongKong. He died not long afterwards, not old. I never sailed with your father but a friend of mine who sailed with him on EASTERN QUEEN always spoke highly of Captain Bartlett. Also never sailed with Captain LeRoyd, but in those days you always heard about everyone in the Company. Regards from Peter Ballantyne
Old 21st January 2018, 16:24

Hello Caroline,

A very warm welcome to this section of Ship Nostalgia. There are not too many contributors who would remember your father though I certainly do, but never sailed with him. With HK as home port, there were always people ashore there studying for exams or waiting for ships ( we did not have local leave just a very long leave after four years) and one very soon got to meet everyone. He was known universally as Bart so seeing his first name in print came as a bit of a surprise. He was master when I knew him (1956-65) and a very popular one. As you say he could be a bit of a party man. I really do not ever remembering your mother, or for that matter you, though you were six by the time I joined. You must have been born at Matilda Hospital on the Peak.

I am pushing 83 and you will not find too many on this list who will remember your father. Bob Tatz, who now lives close by to me in Edmonton certainly will and maybe one or two others.

If you would like to share your father's service record I am sure it will help jog people's memory. I connect him with the Loksang c.1959, but obviously there were other ships.

Good luck with your search,

Nick
Old 21st January 2018, 16:40

Hello again Caroline,

Sorry, at first reading I 'missed' your query re laurie Cox and Ron Learoyd, both of whom I sailed with and enjoyed the experience. Laurie by my time was a bit of a maverick and liked nothing better than getting under the skin of the shipping department with his awkward questions. He never got the good ships his seniority deserved. Eventually I think he left and sailed as master with a local Chinese company, I last saw him in about 1969 after I had had come ashore. He was living in the Seaman's Club in Kowloon and soon afterwards died of cancer (lung?).

I am not sure what became of Ron. I don't think I saw him after I came ashore in late 1965 but I have very happy memories of sailing under him as chief officer on two ships. I'd be happy to share photos of them both with you.

best wishes,

Nick
Old 21st January 2018, 16:53

Post 338.
Nick,
I think I was 3/O on the Muse on the Japan coast on that voyage and left on the Hong Kong return to sit my Mates Certificate.
I find these days time wise I get things mixed up and I moved around a lot
Garry
Old 25th January 2018, 22:10

Has anyone held on to an old, 1950s ICSN menu. The one I am looking for listed the fleet on one side with the ship's Chinese name translated into English, e.g. 'Hin Sang' - Propitious Growing, 'Hop Sang' - Suitable Growing, etc., etc.

Nick
Old 26th January 2018, 16:09

Hi Nick. If you still have that copy of my long history of ICSN that I think I sent to you ages ago - between pages 154 and 155 there are a number of illustrations. One is of the menu that you are looking for = Taksang in 1956 with all the ship name translations. If you do not have it any more then send me your snail-mail address (to my emails) and I will post you a copy altho it is not very clear but all the info you want is there. Peter Ballantyne [email protected]
Old 26th January 2018, 16:11

That was supposed to be my email address which is = [email protected]
Old 27th January 2018, 19:14

Sixty two years ago this week I had just passed my second mate's, been interviewed at No. 3 Lombard Street and told that I would be joining a new building in Scotland in March as fourth mate, the Eastern Argosy. I make this statement to point out none of us is getting any younger and someone has suggested it would be a good idea if each contributor could wrack his brains and make a list of the men he sailed with. I am starting with the Argosy

Masters: Frankie Main; Hector Cairns
C/O John Stormont
2/O Wally Skidmore, Richard Maund
3/0 Jan Jensen, Self
4/0 Self

c/E Wallaby McPherson
2/E Dick Hudson
3/E Jack Pettigrew
4/E Jones, Rene Ruyters
Juniors: Jimmy Martin, Alistair Dyer, Malcolm McRae
R/0 Tom McMinn, Hal Tucker.

I realize many of the above are long gone but if anyone has any anecdotes, etc to share I am willing to act as the collection point.

The purpose of this exercise is to leave a record of our old shipmates and what became of them.

If this idea takes off I shall keep posting names and dates but at random not by ship, because even my memory is not that good.

Doctor advise us to keep our brains active in old age to avoid the dreaded onset of dementia. This may help!!

All the best,

Nick
Old 29th January 2018, 08:38

Hi Nick - what a great idea.... will work on it. Just heard from Jon Elliot (after your time) with mention of familiar names. I have located those H-boat name translations and will send them shortly to you and Bob Tatz. But Ho Sang is not clear, shown as V.... Growing. Anybody out there know it