Sailed Craigallion, Zenatia and Liverpool Packet - Ships Nostalgia
00:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sailed Craigallion, Zenatia and Liverpool Packet

User Tag List

Old 12th March 2007, 14:59

Sailed Craigallion, Zenatia and Liverpool Packet

Sparks on the three ships mentioned in heading. One trip on Craigallion to St Johns Newfoundland, one year on Zenatia and finished up on Liverpool Packet, Time period 1959 until 1963. Made to feel old when morse code ceased to be in use. At the end of Training in Glasgow our instructor held up a transisitor and told us that some idiots were claiming this would replace the vacumn tube. Does the position of Radio Officer exist today and if so what are the functions
Old 12th March 2007, 15:32

Hi Ian,
Glad to hear that we finally met someone who sailed on the Liverpool Packet.
you should visit the Bowater website and make yourself known to Ian Howartson, he is responsible for putting everything together there. I was with Bowaters 1962-1964 and after sailing on the Nicolas, actually helped lay up the Liverpool Packet and the Markland in the Blackwater prior the the vessels being sold.
The web address is bowatersteamshipcompany.no-ip.com
Best Regardfs
Geoff Bray
Old 12th March 2007, 16:19

Dear Geoff
I actually made contact with Ian Howartson only last night. I sailed with his Dad, Richard on the Packet. I came across this site when looking for info on the Zenatia and Craigallion. The Packet, operated by Bowater, was such a great ship to sail on that I was reluctant to take vacations in case Marconi replaced me. The fears proved to be unfounded. Pay, conditions, food and encouragment by the company to entertain in Port by providing ample food and drink for such purposes, made life on the Packet, todays equivalent of a expensive cruise, especially for a Sparks, no port duties
Thanks for your reply
Ian
Old 12th March 2007, 18:03
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings and welcome Ian to SN plenty of exR/Os on here. Enjoy the site. Bon voyage.
Old 13th March 2007, 00:57

My location
Welcome to SN Ian.

I am sure you will find much of interest here and I hope you will join in with the various discussions here.

Regards,

Brian
Old 15th July 2015, 20:40

Sorry to Hijack the thread but....

I have the most amazing grandfather Named Clyde Colp, from liverpool Nova Scotia. He served on the Markland for many years. He tells me stories of his travels since I was young. Lately He has had a rough time coping with his friends and wife (nanny) passing. I would love to be able to give him some motivating news or even maybe,... just maybe a conversation with a past friend/crewmate... I know its very optimistic... he is almost 90, but I like tough odds!!!!

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 15th July 2015 at 20:54.. Reason: Delete e-mail address