Hector Whaling catchers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
01:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hector Whaling catchers

User Tag List

Old 26th April 2013, 15:48

Old thread new addition. I am pretty sure there were two Wlarus spotter planes. They were taken on shore after the 47 season. One was sold locally in Tønsberg, Norway. I am also pretty sure that it had nothing to do with the use being unsporting. Rather I have heard that the expedition had to spend to much time and resources on getting the planes back on board (ie finding them when they ran out of fuel and had to "ditch") so they decided it wasn't worth it. Same thing with the use of helicopters and a couple of attempts with regular sea planes.
Old 6th January 2015, 19:28

With regard to the stated foundering of the DOLWEN, ex HECTOR GULL, IHS state: DOLWEN – Vessel foundered in 1996 but was subsequently salvaged, repaired and returned to service. Our records indicate that she was involved in another casualty incident in 1998 and was once again repaired and returned to service.

She continues to be shown in Equasis and is regarded as being still in service.
Old 7th January 2015, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesships View Post
With regard to the stated foundering of the DOLWEN, ex HECTOR GULL, IHS state: DOLWEN – Vessel foundered in 1996 but was subsequently salvaged, repaired and returned to service. Our records indicate that she was involved in another casualty incident in 1998 and was once again repaired and returned to service.

She continues to be shown in Equasis and is regarded as being still in service.
Yes you are correct. Only recently were the vessel casualty details unravelled and updated, which in turn feed into Equasis. The following update from my records includes extracts from those updated vessel casualty reports.

19.6.1996: Whilst on a voyage from Mumbai to Kandia suffered engine room flooding at 20.49N, 71.19E and was presumed to have foundered. Nine crew rescued but vessel subsequently salvaged and returned to service.
1998: SDS Shipping Pvt Ltd., appointed as managers.
9.6.1998: Capsized and sank at Vadinar Terminal, 22.32N., 69.42E., during a cyclone. Subsequently raised, minor repairs undertaken and wreck towed away to Mumbai. Subsequently fully repaired.
5.1999: Returned to service.

Last edited by BillH; 7th January 2015 at 09:07..
Old 17th May 2017, 03:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 2009

Whale catchers.

At least one of the Union whaling Co. Catchers came to Australia. It/they worked out of Albany Western Australia for a local Co. One is preserved at the Albany Whaling Station Museum.
As a kid I grew up on the Bluff at Durban near the whale slipway. I spent a lot of time messing about on the catchers with the kids of the Norwegian Officers.
Some years later fully grown and a Marine Engineer myself I was on a crew boat based at Island View. The remnants of the UNI fleet were laid up there. Nothing was locked and I spent many nostalgic hours exploring the boats.
Incidentally I was docked in Capetown when (I think it was Dutch) last fleet went South. They had a brand new catcher with a Free Piston engine fitted. That engine was REALLY noisy and could be heard all over Capetown. The whales could also hear it miles away, and after a short time it returned to Capetown and laid up. It was there some years then bought and re-engined. it became that outlaw catcher that Greenpeace chased for years before finally ending its days.