Shipwrecks of new zealand discussion - Ships Nostalgia
02:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shipwrecks of new zealand discussion

User Tag List

Old 31st March 2018, 22:48

Shipwrecks of new zealand discussion

Today I bought a excellent book called "Shipwrecks of new zealand"
And now I am really interested in NZ Shipwrecks, so this thread will just be a general discussion, Has anyone here heard of the tale of the Orpheus?
Old 1st April 2018, 04:02
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Peregrine, I am sure that I have that one somewhere in my cluster of a library from book case to boxes.
I recently unearthed Cliff Furness' "Servants of the North " covering the Northern steam ship company's history , a book I borrowed from my son perhaps 20 years ago.
Yes the tale of the Orpheus is a sad one.

Bob
Old 1st April 2018, 04:23

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Today I bought a excellent book called "Shipwrecks of new zealand"
And now I am really interested in NZ Shipwrecks, so this thread will just be a general discussion, Has anyone here heard of the tale of the Orpheus?
Hi Peregrine, coincidentally, I was recently re-reading about HMS Orpheus after posting on here about a bottle I found whilst diving the Mokohinaus, as a friend of mine found an artefact from her at Whatipu which he dug out of the sand in the late 60s.
She was NZ's most tragic and most famous (prior to Wahine) maritime disaster.
Together with the Kaipara, the bar was treacherous and I only crossed it twice, three years apart and the second crossing was in a far different position to the first, due to the ever-shifting shoals.
The Orpheus, as you've no doubt read, had outdated charts of the harbour entrance as the sands continually shifted. A scary place unless you knew it well.

Cheers,

Taff
Old 1st April 2018, 04:36

My location
Another great book, in two volumes, about shipwrecks, is 'Wreck-ollections'... Ships and Shipwrecks in Queensland Waters.
Written by Lance Paterson, the father of Ross, a former workmate of mine, it's a fascinating, well-researched treatise.
The title spelling is correct.

Taff
Old 1st April 2018, 05:38
Active: 1959 - 1963

Peregrine, if you look in the cemetery at the church in Onehunga there are the graves of those who died in that tragedy. Terrible event and very sad.

;er
Old 1st April 2018, 08:39

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauvaka View Post
Peregrine, if you look in the cemetery at the church in Onehunga there are the graves of those who died in that tragedy. Terrible event and very sad.

;er
Kia Ora, Kauvaka and Peregrine.

My interest in Orpheus has been rekindled. I remembered the dedication of the grave where three of the drowned crew were buried at Cornwallis. I knew the site well, as locals had known of it for many years, but it was 'rediscovered' in the early seventies.
I spent a lot of time on the north side of the Manukau, around to Whatipu and further north on the black sand beaches. In my time, it was the place to go for the big snapper.

I have discovered that there is a museum at Huia with details of the tragedy and artefacts, built after my time there.

When I searched for more info from websites, I discovered this site, with pics and info which should be of interest:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=707772.0

... and importantly, comprehensive extracts from the Times newspaper in 1863, of the tragedy:

http://www.pdavis.nl/Orpheus.php

Cheers, guys,

Taff
Old 2nd April 2018, 02:41

Hey guys just got a little thing to add to the discussion, I was reading up that the Orpheus wreck is being "moved" whenever the airforce flies over, The guns were sighted at Rainbow bay a few years ago. I wonder where she is now and if more artifacts will float up. Also has anyone heard of the tale of the Wiltshire? She had a very.. unique break up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiltshire.jpg (9.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 6th April 2018, 00:31
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1978 - 1991

Shipwrecks of NZ

Yes, Shipwrecks of New Zealand is a great book. It is amazingly comprehensive and there have been several editions.

There is also information about some NZ shipwrecks at maritimeradio.org under the heading "Distress".

I think about HMS Orpheus quite often, as I live a few metres from Orpheus Drive on the Manukau Harbour. :-)

And, somewhat related, we are a few days away from the 50th anniversary of the wreck of Wahine (10 April 1968) in Wellington, which cost 53 lives. Amateur radio operators may be interested in contacting the special commemorative station, details of which are at maritimeradio.org/zm50gw

Neil
Old 6th April 2018, 06:09
Active: 1969 - Present

Does this 'Shipwrecks of NZ' have anything to say about the sinking of the 'Rangitoto' at Jackson's Head around 1873? My ancestor was 3rd steward on her when she came to NZ on the maiden voyage in 1865? I believe she was sail/steam, built on the Clyde in 1864/65, but I have no info on who owned her or where she operated between '65 and '73.
Cheers,
Skilly
Old 6th April 2018, 09:46

Probably the most comprehensive book published on the events of 7 February 1863 is called "The Orpheus Disaster" by Thayer Fairburn in 1987, with a second edition in 2013.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the printers, W.J. Deed Printing Ltd, still has copies. They are still in business, and on the internet. They're based in Waiuku, on the southern shores of the Manukau. Recommended.

Cheers,

JR
Old 28th April 2018, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilly57 View Post
Does this 'Shipwrecks of NZ' have anything to say about the sinking of the 'Rangitoto' at Jackson's Head around 1873? My ancestor was 3rd steward on her when she came to NZ on the maiden voyage in 1865? I believe she was sail/steam, built on the Clyde in 1864/65, but I have no info on who owned her or where she operated between '65 and '73.
Cheers,
Skilly
It does have information on the sinking but nothing other than that, I can copy the whole text here if you want it
Old 29th April 2018, 10:20
Active: 1963 - 1990

My location
re #3 Tsell, the Picton -Wellington ferry SS Penguin was wrecked off Cape Terawhiti in 1909 with the loss of 75 souls so was more than the TEV Wahine, but certainly the Orpheus has the greatest loss of life, the C/E. H. Wareing who was on board the TEV Wahine during that disaster was a relative of my mother and whom I sailed with on the TEV Maori in early 1963 as 2nd Electrician.
Old 29th April 2018, 12:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.kearsley View Post
re #3 Tsell, the Picton -Wellington ferry SS Penguin was wrecked off Cape Terawhiti in 1909 with the loss of 75 souls so was more than the TEV Wahine, but certainly the Orpheus has the greatest loss of life, the C/E. H. Wareing who was on board the TEV Wahine during that disaster was a relative of my mother and whom I sailed with on the TEV Maori in early 1963 as 2nd Electrician.
Thanks, Dick. I see you live in a great part of the world - Nelson. Had some enjoyable times there many years ago!

Cheers,

Taff