Hello from Immingham - Ships Nostalgia
06:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello from Immingham

User Tag List

Old 14th March 2007, 20:15

Smile BISCO ships at Immingham Dock

I am new to the site and have been interested in the comments about the iron ore ships many of you sailed on.

Unfortunately I never did get to sea(always my amibition as a kid) but in the late 60's did work for Carlbom Shipping Agents at Immingham Dock who acted as agents for the ore being imported by BISCO destined forthe steelworks at Scunthorpe.

I remember well the Denholm boats in particular Sir Andrew Duncan, Houlders, Lyle , Cory and many others and was always welcomed on board by the captains with beer etc!!

thall
Old 14th March 2007, 21:54
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by thall View Post
I am new to the site and have been interested in the comments about the iron ore ships many of you sailed on.

Unfortunately I never did get to sea(always my amibition as a kid) but in the late 60's did work for Carlbom Shipping Agents at Immingham Dock who acted as agents for the ore being imported by BISCO destined forthe steelworks at Scunthorpe.

I remember well the Denholm boats in particular Sir Andrew Duncan, Houlders, Lyle , Cory and many others and was always welcomed on board by the captains with beer etc!!

thall
Carlbom Shipping, were and still are one of the nicest companies around. Years ago I took my young son up to Immingham to visit the China Pride and Carlbom (the company and the man) could not have taken more care and interest.
Old 14th March 2007, 21:59
user

My location
Welcome Aboard

Thall, as that was your first posting I have copied it also into this thread; a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Last edited by non descript; 15th March 2007 at 10:20..
Old 14th March 2007, 22:34

Hi Thall, welcome aboard this great vessel, remember Imingham in the 60,s had a good night out with the Chipperfields when the Circus set sail for South Africa, can you recall the ocasion, they had two tank landing craft with all the animals aboard, the elephants were chained to the deck, and there was all hell on at the loch,s when they sailed, but someone gave them permission!!! anyway enjoy your venture.
Old 14th March 2007, 23:32

My location
Welcome to SN from Lancashire Thall.

I am sure that you will enjoy the site.

As regards wa002f0328's note about the elephants on board, I am glad I didn't have to clean up after them! I wonder how much poo they produced between Scotland and South Africa? Doesn't bear thinking about does it.

Regards,

Brian
Old 15th March 2007, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjidog View Post
Welcome to SN from Lancashire Thall.

I am sure that you will enjoy the site.

As regards wa002f0328's note about the elephants on board, I am glad I didn't have to clean up after them! I wonder how much poo they produced between Scotland and South Africa? Doesn't bear thinking about does it.

Regards,

Brian
Hi Brian, Yes there was quite a stink, not over the muck, but Animal lovers protesting, I believe they stopped off, at the canary isles, and one or two more places on the way down.
Old 15th March 2007, 10:56
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Thall and welcome, thank you for signing on and enjoy the site. Bon voyage.
Old 16th March 2007, 00:17
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Thall,

......and a warm welcome to the site from me too!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.