RAN found wanting - Ships Nostalgia
05:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

RAN found wanting

User Tag List

Old 27th March 2017, 22:55

RAN found wanting

ABC reporting that both HMAS Adelaide and Canberra are 'grounded' due to engine defects.

This is at precisely the moment that a Category 4 Cyclone is about to hit North Queensland in an hour or so.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-2...sponse/8391574

Do we ever do anything right these days?
Old 27th March 2017, 23:06
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

YM, they are probably safer broken down than near the storm centre!

Bob
Old 27th March 2017, 23:20
Department: Deck

My location
And we now have 2 MINISTERS LOOKing after defence how GOOD are they
Old 28th March 2017, 01:29

Don't they actually have to get to sea before they become "grounded"?
Old 28th March 2017, 03:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
YM, they are probably safer broken down than near the storm centre!

Bob
Thanks Bob.
You may well be right they don't even look all that seaworthy to me quite even without all their other problems.
Don't we usually rely on you Kiwis to rescue us?

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 28th March 2017 at 03:24..
Old 28th March 2017, 03:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetracker View Post
Don't they actually have to get to sea before they become "grounded"?

Good chicken and egg question.
Sorry, I don't know the answer as I am a landlubber, but I suspect that there is a lemon or two in their DNA somewhere.
Old 28th March 2017, 04:11
Spongebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Thanks Bob.
You may well be right they don't even look all that seaworthy to me quite even without all their other problems.
Don't we usually rely on you Kiwis to rescue us?
This reminds me of the time during the original Coronel Rambuka's uprising and coup in Figi .
Then NZ PM David Lange ordered the RNZ Navy to despatch an armed Frigate and troops to Suva to protect NZ's interests but the Navy replied
"Sorry, we cannot go yet, we are planning to steam down to the Southern Ocean to scatter the ashes of our recently departed chief Rear Admiral Lyn Tempero. We will go to Figi after that"
Those are the words from Lange's memoirs , the Navy are a law unto themselves for what ever the reason.

Bob
Old 28th March 2017, 15:15

As soon as I saw we were buying 2 amphib. ships ( HMAS Canberra & Adelaide ) with ski jump flight decks for assisted take-offs for jump jets, but no effing jump jets, I knew our navy was in the fruit & vegie business. Lemons for ships and potato-heads for admirals. And its not as though jump jets were going to be a future purchase. They weren't and aren't. A bit like buying a truck and only planning to use it as a sedan.
It may be coincidental - but our navy has been going downhill since the day I left it back in 71. I should have stayed on. I know I was only a leading stoker but I must have had an impact way above my rank.
Old 28th March 2017, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilkinger View Post
As soon as I saw we were buying 2 amphib. ships ( HMAS Canberra & Adelaide ) with ski jump flight decks for assisted take-offs for jump jets, but no effing jump jets, I knew our navy was in the fruit & vegie business. Lemons for ships and potato-heads for admirals. And its not as though jump jets were going to be a future purchase. They weren't and aren't. A bit like buying a truck and only planning to use it as a sedan.
It may be coincidental - but our navy has been going downhill since the day I left it back in 71. I should have stayed on. I know I was only a leading stoker but I must have had an impact way above my rank.
I wonder if there was American assistance with the cost of these vessels bearing in mind the American Marines still use the Jump Jet.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 28th March 2017, 16:36

I don't think so Chadburn. I can't see our American friends financially assisting us to purchase Spanish built ships. Or maybe you're thinking the US Marines can land / take-off their jump jets from our flight decks. Doubtful. They don't have fuelling facilities for winged aircraft or flight deck personnel trained to handle same. My best guesses for the inclusion of the seemingly superfluous ski jump are ;
1. Recreational use for crew members with skate boards.
2. Golf putting practice in harbour. You don't need to go and fetch your balls - they keep rolling back to you.
Old 28th March 2017, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilkinger View Post
I don't think so Chadburn. I can't see our American friends financially assisting us to purchase Spanish built ships. Or maybe you're thinking the US Marines can land / take-off their jump jets from our flight decks. Doubtful. They don't have fuelling facilities for winged aircraft or flight deck personnel trained to handle same. My best guesses for the inclusion of the seemingly superfluous ski jump are ;
1. Recreational use for crew members with skate boards.
2. Golf putting practice in harbour. You don't need to go and fetch your balls - they keep rolling back to you.
You have been in the 'MOB'you will know about the cooperation between the various Countries Forces.
Yes, I was thinking about the Marines using them as a landing platform they would come with their own Handling Crew.
As you may be aware in War H&S tends to take a back seat, all they need to do is put a fuel bowser using a Chinook on board.
Apparently there are something like 400 R.N. in the States learning to Deck handle the new aircraft for the new Carriers..

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 19th September 2017, 00:52
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - Present

Actually the US in the past has paid for some construction in other countries to help an ally. I assume when US yards were busy or excessively high.
To the original subject of engines, I think we have people buying new technology before it's proven. The Zumwalt and little frigates currently building have all had propulsion failures. And it's actually cheaper than steaming and running into other ships or aground.
Old 21st September 2017, 06:38
Spongebob

We are so often critical of our various Navy's performances but our very old little RNZ Fleet Oiler has come to the nation's rescue.
Our air services are in disarray after a digger damaged the pipeline delivering Aviation. Fuel from the NZ oil refinery at Whangarei to the Auckland airport, a distance of about 175km.
Repairs are due to take a week and meantime air services are being cut and chaos reigns. Hail the tanker Endeavour who can carry 150 road tanker loads per short voyage down the coast . The army has mucked in too providing about 50 army heavy licensed drivers to man additional road tankers.
Great stuff.

Bob

Last edited by spongebob; 21st September 2017 at 07:30.. Reason: Correction to road tanker numbers
Old 21st September 2017, 06:58

The little fleet that could. Very proud of our wee navy from an ex RNZVR engr.