VICKERS VIKING and VISCOUNT and BRITISH VOYAGER - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

VICKERS VIKING and VISCOUNT and BRITISH VOYAGER

User Tag List

Old 31st August 2013, 18:14

hard to believe that the Pisces iii incident was 40 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23862359
Old 1st September 2013, 00:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day nav,sm.today.03:14.re:vickers viking.it is an amazing story,and rescue.good to see they a still around 40 years later.thank you for posting.regards ben27.
Old 1st September 2013, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav View Post
hard to believe that the Pisces iii incident was 40 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23862359
See from a newspaper report here in NZ that there is talk of making a film of the incident, now Roger Mallison is a one off and Lennie Edwards the old man of the Voyager at the time of the incident he was very different so should be interesting who they cast in those roles
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

Vickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHCuthill View Post
Roger Chapman worked for Vickers Oceanics in 1977 as a Submersible Pilot. I dived with him several times on N.Sea ops (In Pisces 3 I think).
Brent Field. He said very little. We often were stuck on the seabed waiting for "Viz" for up to 10 hours at a time. He had tapes of all the Bach Fugues. Like Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor. It sounded like a Hammer Soundtrack.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o)
Hi Dave
I might have sailed with you on the Vickers boats, I was AB on the Viscount, Vanguard + the Viking between 77 +78. Old men were Mellors + Edwards.
All the best Jimmy Scougall
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:44

Hi Jimmy
That's the time I was there. 77-78. I was a survey engineer mainly on Vanguard. We had to fit the survey kit to the submersible, and carry out the operation of the instruments.
They were great days, and there was a 'can-do' attitude. I trusted the ops team and the sub-engineers implicitly. It was a privilege to be the one on the spot, and it was a big responsibility as the ship's day-charter rate was something like 10,000 and you could buy a 2-bedroom flat for that!
The surface divers were sometimes a rough lot. Good mates if you had their respect. Many were ex-RN or Paras. I remember as soon as we passed through the customs limit the purser opened the bond and we scooted down to get our 'slabs' of beer.
(Actually, reading my last post, I think I may have mixed up the Rogers. It would have been Roger Mallinson who was the Sub Pilot.)
Old 10th February 2014, 22:26
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Cardew View Post
Hi Harry, Some Minor Corrections... Pisces 3 was a Manned submersible ( No String attached ). Roger and I founded SSS in 1977, after we had left VOL, I remember looking over all the ROV's at a trade show in Birmingham in 1976, Consub2 was the only one that looked like it would last more than 5 minutes of underwater operational life.. After setting her up, C2 went on to do about 60% of the available North Sea Pipeline Survey work for the next 8 years, and fed a lot of people... A very tough machine, and standfast a couple of years working her up into shape, a great credit to the BAe Filton engineering team.

I remember us chartering Consub1 for the Thistle SALM installation job in '77. Pat Chilton, who was with me on that job, is still up and very active in the underwater business.. I had an invite from him the just other day to trundle down to the Skeleton Coast to 'assist' in a world sailing speed record attempt.. I had coffee with Roger Chapman just yesterday, and occasionaly meet up with Roger Mallinson on Lake Windermere, where he still runs his restored 115 year old Steam Yacht 'Shamrock'..

I sort of retired about 3 years ago, but Richard Marsh ( BAe Sales ) with Dick Wright, who you may remember, and I had a joint venture for about 20 years, With my Gang ( System Technologies ) Designing and Manufacturing Sonars and underwater survey systems, and His Gang ( Tritech International ) doing the selling..

Anyway, If you would send your coordinates to my SN private message site, next time I see Roger Chapman, I'll mug him about the book. .... and for the record, I was a navigating officer with the Cunard Steamship Company ( Not the Pee and Owe ! )
Marcus, you will note that I said "a line from the mothership" This was the tow line that floated across the top of the Pisces3, not an umbilical cable.