City of Guildford - Ships Nostalgia
06:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

City of Guildford

User Tag List

Old 30th July 2004, 20:25

City Of Guildford

One of the smaller Ellerman ships taken in Glasgow in May 1974.She is in the former Harland and Wolff fitting out basin taken over by the old Alexander Stephen shipyard as a repair facility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guildford.jpg (16.2 KB, 227 views)
Old 15th September 2004, 16:40

City of Guildford

Assisted by London Tugís NAPIA (43/261), Ellermanís CITY OF GUILDFORD (57/4945)is seen passing Tilbury on the River Thames.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg city of guildford_1.jpg (95.5 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by Bob S; 28th August 2005 at 16:06.. Reason: Repaired photo
Old 16th September 2004, 14:40

My location
Good series of ships of Ellerman Line sisterships C.OF DUNDEE-GLOUCESTER-
HEREFORD-LANCASTER-LICHFIELD-ST.ALBANS and WORCHESTER.with little
differet appearence.
Old 24th April 2005, 11:45

My location
Was it City of Guildford that was involved in a collision with Bank Line's Laurelbank whilst at anchor off Chalna waiting to cross the Bar Outbound??

Sometime in late 1965 I think.............pete
Old 9th October 2007, 13:04

I was Cadet on the Guildford, Worcester and St Albans. Add the Glasgow to your list, Tanker, and you've got all of the "Smally Eights"
Old 9th October 2007, 17:19

Hi Chouan The City of Hereford listed by Tanker was renamed City Of Glasgow after the 1963 built City of Glasgow was renamed City of Ottowa in 1971.

Rgds
Fergus 62
Old 9th October 2007, 21:48

My mind must be going then. I know that here were 8 of them, and I thought that I had all 8 sorted then. Curses. I'll have to think again. Either that or dig out the book that my brother got me, but that will make me seem really sad!
Old 10th October 2007, 07:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1977 - Present

My location
I never work for Ellermans, but i think the list of 'smally eights' is as follows:-

City of Dundee, City of Gloucester, City of Guildford, City of Hereford, City of Lancaster, City of Lichfield, City of St. Albans and City of Worcester.
Old 19th October 2007, 21:30

Why were they smelly?
Old 19th October 2007, 22:08

I think you'll find that was 'smally' not 'smelly' . You should have gone to Specsavers!!!
Old 20th October 2007, 13:58

LOL -Your'e quite correct , need glasses. but hated to admit it.
Old 20th October 2007, 14:31

I too sailed on City of Guildford, City of St. Albans, City of Gloucester as apprentice engineer and junior engineer between 1962 and 1965. These 4 hatch ships I think were originally built for Great Lakes trade but as far as I remember, never used for this purpose. I was mostly in India/West and East
Pakistan on them. Also on London/Walvis Bay trade. Nice little ships.

regards Tim
Old 22nd October 2007, 19:27

My location
I sailed on City of Hereford from July 63 to Feb 64 as 3rd Mate. She left B'head on a Papyanni charter, then from Alexandria, after taking two weeks to load 500 tons of sand which had to be roadhauled for hundreds of miles, we went light to Chalna and on to the Canada - India run. Finally relieved in Gib and had quite an experience on the flight home due to the weights of luggage (we had all joined with full sea gear) and Captain R.A.Jones had nine suitcases, each had to be packed by the cadets to the cargo plan in the lid, then have their canvas covering, with RAJ and a number stencilled on each, put in place. Poor little plane battled to get off the ground in Gib, then was diverted to Paris as ran out of fuel.
Also coasted the Lichfield in May 1965, and spent happy days with the Lancaster alongside in Colombo when we had to transfer all cargo from the City of Bath (I was 2/O) after her major breakdown. What a headache, all cargo to be transferred for the same rotation of ports from a five hatcher to a four hatcher.
Old 24th October 2007, 13:33
Active: 1973 - 2010

My location
Hi there, the "smally-eights" were built in two batches, the first a group of three consisted of the "Guildford" in 1957, the "Lancaster" in 1958, and the "Hereford" ( later "Glasgow") also in 1958.
The second group of five consisted of the "Worcester", the "St Albans", both in 1960, the "Lichfield" and "Dundee" both in 1961, and finally the "Gloucester" in 1963.
I sailed on the "Glasgow" as cadet, and on the "Glasgow" (second time round) "Lichfield" and "Dundee" as 3/o.
All were happy ships, with good crowds and good to work on, and all on the Indian run.
They were known as the "smally-eights", because of the small 8 cylinder Sulzer diesel engines they were all fitted with.
Old 24th October 2007, 16:25

City of Guildford Collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Was it City of Guildford that was involved in a collision with Bank Line's Laurelbank whilst at anchor off Chalna waiting to cross the Bar Outbound??

Sometime in late 1965 I think.............pete

Yes Pete it was - I was a cadet on board - my first trip to sea - and it was late 1965

Paul Winstanley
Old 24th October 2007, 17:15

My location
I was Third Mate on the City of Lichfield in `61,my first trip as 3/0.I remember
the air conditioning,what bliss!
Especially the fact that you could get two tins of Tennants into the air/con blower,lovely and cold after four hours
Richard C
Old 24th October 2007, 18:51

Paul Winstanley- now theres a name I haven't heard since my first trip to sea on the City of Cape Town. Captain Frame, Pete Soones, Charlie Latchford, your good self and yours truly, Ian Bailey, first trip deck reptile otherwise referred to as Happylegs on account of the fact that I was tall and always smiling. I was the idiot who always played the guitar everytime I got a drink inside me. Good to know you are still around.
Old 26th October 2007, 20:07

I was on City of Guildford when she hit the sand at full speed at Pelican Point lighthouse off Walvis Bay. Captain was Bill Payton I think, he was relieved ill at Walvis and a mate off one of the Big Four came up from Capetown. Cannnot remember his name but may have been Grery, he went to Ben Line with the four ships that went there when far east run went and I think I heard later became commodore of that company.
Old 27th October 2007, 00:01
Active: 1969 - 1976

My location
Bailey Bloke - You mentioned Capt Frame on the Guildford, I was with him on the Hull, besides being a great story teller of his life at sea from sprog on upwards (Gin in the forepeak rings a bell). As you may have noticed he was a wee over-weight. Well one winter on the Hull in St John NB having our usual get together with the local nirses, remember it's winter and it's COLD, what does COLD do to steel plating ? Well, the girls managed to get the Capt up to dance (obviosly after a few 'Pinkers' ), What does he do in his engetic way of dancing, he buckles a deck plate ! That was if I am not mistaken her 3rd voyage outbound. All through the voyage that plate was either bowed up or down depending on who walked over it and the temperature. I went back for Voy 5 and the deckplate was still the same. If the Hull was still sailing today I am sure that plate would still go 'Boing' whenever anyone walked over it.

Last edited by AlexBooth; 27th October 2007 at 00:05..
Old 5th February 2008, 03:16

Hi Ian - thanks for the message which brought back a lot of memories with the names you quoted. "Tricky Dickie", "Noddy" Soones, (how do you put on a boilersuit?), and my old mate Charlie. Still going strong and ended up in New Zealand after Ellermans went under, working for P&O (NZ), and then finally Maersk after all the takeovers.
Hope life has treated you good - best wishes - Paul