Search for Waratah - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Search for Waratah

User Tag List

Old 8th June 2012, 07:31

Hi, DH,

Is there any factual evidence that Waratah was not already behind schedule at the time when Guelph saw the letters "TAH"? Could her troubles have started only after she passed Clan MacIntyre but before Guelph saw her?

Have sent you a PM.

Best

BY
Old 11th October 2012, 16:11

This is a very long shot, but does anybody know the kind of signal lamp being used at the time of the exchanges mentioned here? As mentioned above, an all-round morse-light was virtually useless, save at close quarters.

Am looking for information as to when (i.e. the earliest date when) proper signalling lamps were developed and came into common usage. Any information would be much appreciated.
Old 9th September 2018, 13:04

interesting i was researching tug boats - and in the book - a tug at my heart - by grapow and westby nunn - strangely on the same day the oceanos sinking was playing out - a ulcc 357 000 tanker - mimosa was facing the same seas as the warath would have faced - in fact - the description reads - facing very high winds and mountainous seas the weather was hideous - the particular coast line on this stretch of the south african coastline - has always produced the worst of weather - which brings me to the point of the waratah - she was a top heavy ship - and the simple truth of it would have simply capsized and sunk - without trace - she was a notorious roller - the model on the attached picture gives an indication of the high side - the newspaper article is from my own collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waratah model.jpg (82.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg article.jpg (203.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:29
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2012 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Se Dog View Post
she was a top heavy ship - and the simple truth of it would have simply capsized and sunk - without trace - she was a notorious roller
Yes - entirely agree. There's no need to invent scenarios such as rogue waves etc. - she was simply a very tender ship that almost certainly just capsized in very bad weather/high seas.
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:58

Report of Formal Investigation into loss of 'Waratah' here:
https://southampton.spydus.co.uk/cgi...778/26935755,1

More speculation/intrigue here:
http://waratahrevisited.blogspot.com/2018/

Abnormal waves do occur in area where Waratah foundered. "Ben Cruachan" encountered one in 1973:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...hp?lid=1907832

Last edited by eddyw; 3rd October 2018 at 22:58..
Old 6th July 2019, 11:41

waratah ship wreck

fascinated by the comments in this tread - here are a few books members might find interesting to read for the record - she was a top heavy ship - and encountering extreme seas - which is a common phenomenon along the coast line of south africa - she would have gone down fairly quickly - the not so recent sinking of the oceanos - along the same stretch of sea - bears testament of these notorious event
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the ghost ship - clive cusseler.jpg (156.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg the lost ship waratah.jpg (34.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg the waratah nightmare.jpg (101.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg the mystery runs deep.jpg (23.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg WaratahPlan.jpg (182.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th July 2019, 15:57

Many thanks for this, OSD.

Slightly off-thread - but not too far - both of the Titanic films (since 1958) show the use of an all-round morse-light - which many of us will remember as a simple lamb on top of a four-by-four stanchion, operated by an on-off switch - and generally useless at a range of more than about three miles at most. This is surprising in a state-of-the-art vessel such as Titanic in 1912 - and I wonder what was the best equipment then available? It seems that Arthur Henry Webb Aldis, inventor of the Aldis Lamp, was born in 1878, which would make him still a young man in 1912 - and even younger at the time of the WARATAH loss.

Signalling lamps as I remember them (not all of which were Aldis lamps) were of three types, all simple in design and all of them streets ahead of the all-round lamp described above, as attributed to Titanic. From memory, the standard Aldis lamp was a strong light whose beam was deflected, as required, by a simple reflector and mechanical leverage. The light-beam went up and down, rather like the dipping of headlights on a car. A larger type had the reflector fitted rather like blinkers on a horse, with the reflector being pulled back (and opened out) as required, by mechanical means. A third and usually much larger type had shutters rather like a venetian blind, again operated mechanically. All were so simple in design that it seems probable that something very similar would have been in use long before the Waratah incident - and even more probably before the later Titanic incident. The Royal Navy would surely have had the shutter-type signalling lamp long before 1912?

Answers on a postcard, please!
Old 6th July 2019, 16:02

Composed today on a dull afternoon, here is a reminder-note of some of the thoughts which entered my head when signalling by Morse-lamp fifty years and more ago.

Dit-dah. Dit-dah. I call to ask you who you are?
Dah-dit-dit-dit Begins English Lit
Dah-dit-dah-dit - I see, I see.
Dah-dit-dit - Do you? That’s good.
Dit. Eee-bah-gum – You’ve got it, Chum!
Dit-dit-dah-dit begins the F-word
Dah-dah- dit – Gosh!
Dit-dit-dit-dit - Hello, Hello!
Dit-dit – Aye, Aye!
Dit-dah-dah-dah – Jump for Joy!
Dah-dit-dah – Kick, my boy!
Dit-dah-dit-dit – Oh, ‘Ell!
Dah-dah – Mother!
Dah-dit – Numpty!
Dah-Dah-Dah –Oh!
Dit-dah-dah-dit – The cat has peed on the matches!
Dah-dah-dit-dah – Here comes the Bride!
Dit-dah-dit – Roger, roger!
Dit-dit-dit – Sugar!
Dah – Tango!
Dit-dit-dah – Upset, a bit.
Dit-dit-dit-dah – Victory!
Dit-dah-dah – Wictory !
Dah-dit -dah-dah –You !
Dah-dit-dit-Dah – Express and Echo!
Dah-dah-dit-dit – That’s Enough!
Old 6th July 2019, 16:32

morse code

thank you for the reply Barrie Youde
Attached Images
File Type: png International -Morse - Code.png (11.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 19th July 2019, 19:47
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2012 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Se Dog View Post
fascinated by the comments in this tread - here are a few books members might find interesting to read for the record - she was a top heavy ship - and encountering extreme seas - which is a common phenomenon along the coast line of south africa - she would have gone down fairly quickly - the not so recent sinking of the oceanos - along the same stretch of sea - bears testament of these notorious event
Some good books there, Old Se Dog

Anyone know if 'The Waratah Nightmare' by Capt. Stan Robinson has actually been published? A quick internet search only revealed the author's blog saying it was about to be published.