Hudson River Gypsum Fleet - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
20:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hudson River Gypsum Fleet

User Tag List

Old 8th August 2017, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMig View Post
Hi emsbuff124. Glad you are enjoying the discussion among old shipmates. I never heard of an accident at the Stoney Creek wharf in my 2 year stint with Fundy Gypsum, so I can't offer you anything. The discussion of the timing of the barge sinking in New Orleans still has me confused. I was on the Caribbean trip winter of '69 - '70. I had driven to Halifax during the loading of the Countess, preparatory for her departure south, to see my girlfriend. While there, the fog set in thick! If you are familiar with the old Windsor highway, you'll know that it was a nasty drive back to Hantsport in the fog. As it turned out, I was late getting back; Countess had just let her lines go and I was standing on the dock thinking I'd missed a great opportunity to see a new part of the world. Well, Captain Luckey appeared on the wing of the bridge with his bullhorn, and I can hear him yet! "Stay on the dock, laddie, the tug'll bring you out!" We were dumping the load in Baltimore before heading south for the winter, and I remember being summoned to Capt. Luckey's cabin as we approached the gypsum plant. I was prepared for a real dressing down, but was very surprised when he said to me "You almost missed the boat back there laddie. Don't let it happen again!' And that was the only time I was ever disciplined on any of the ships I crewed on. Anyway, emsbuff124, that will give you a bit of insight into the fairness of the Countess' skipper! Cheers, BigMig
Bigmig thanks for the info I appreciate the info
I was reading your earlier posts the pool hall you spoke of is still there but is no longer a pool hall/bar but a gym now
The Marina where the ship docked is still there and the old fishing shack by the dock is boarded up
From what I was told from my father the accident happened around the mid 70s-80s
There was another time that the ship did hit the dock coming in and caused damage and required repair if I can I'll take some pictures to bring back some memories
Old 7th December 2017, 22:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1971

In case anyone is interested, the CBC produces a terrific 1/2 hr., television show called Land & Sea. This past weekend's program was about harbor pilots in general, and Halifax harbor in particular. It discussed numerous aspects of piloting including training, navigation and the challenges presented by today's massive vessels. There was also a very poignant part of the show which discussed the Halifax explosion and the efforts of government to place the blame on a particular pilot - what's an accident without a scapegoat, eh? As the show was ending, and the pilot was leaving the bridge, he made a point of thanking the helmsman, and that got me thinking about the many times that I was the recipient of that thanks. There was something extraordinary about being trusted to steer 24,000 tons of mass through some very challenging inland waterways. In particular, the trip up to the gypsum plant in New Orleans was a serious nerve bender and one I did not care for. However, that was more than made up for by the trip up to Baltimore thru Chesapeake Bay, particularly after dark. It was a long run from the Atlantic up to the plant. Usually, after dark, once the pilot was comfortably in place, the captain would leave the bridge, leaving the mate of the watch, the pilot, and the helmsman. Most of the time the mate was in the chartroom, leaving two of us to 'tame the beast'. The channel, in places, was a confusing mix of red and green buoys, at least to my inexperienced eye, but the pilot knew 'em off by heart. It was sublimely quiet on the bridge most of the time. Some of the pilots didn't say anything other than when they wanted a heading change, but occasionally one of these experienced mariners would chat with me as an equal. I enjoyed that run up to Baltimore, and took great pride in delivering the ship and the guys sleeping a few decks down safely to port.
Old 27th December 2017, 01:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1971

I've been thinking about that barge sinking in the Mississippi Delta again, and just realized that I was on the 4 - 8 watch on that voyage and was probably counting sheep at the time the Countess passed by. If, as LaFlamme says, she dropped her anchor, I'm surprised I wouldn't have wakened. But that was 49 years ago, and I could actually sleep soundly that long ago...