Plymouth Nautical College .. Portland Place - Page 9 - Ships Nostalgia
23:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Plymouth Nautical College .. Portland Place

User Tag List

Old 23rd April 2018, 10:18
Active: 1970 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylo View Post
Merry Christmas all, studied for Masters at Plymouth in 1985/86. Remember Freddie Weekes and Graham Danton (his lectures with the Mates Classes were always a 'bit showbiz'!!) and also Alston Kennerley.
Trying to remember name of Maritime Law lecturer - excellent teacher and fantastic knowledge of a rather dry subject!
Also, can anyone recall the names of any DTp (now MCA) examiners at the time please?
Cheers, Andy
My examiner for masters was a Capt Braid I think

Last edited by charliepridham; 23rd April 2018 at 14:02.. Reason: name spelling
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by icgiddings View Post
One other thing I remember, and I think it's been mentioned here before, was the swimming test in the harbour. Being a non-swimmer I was exempt from it but had to watch other poor souls going through it! It also resulted in myself and others having to go for swimming lessons at a pool in Home Park I think. Never did learn to swim and so it was very interesting later in my career when I did my offshore survival course, I got to wear a different coloured safety helmet!
Not a good swimmer either, I remember that experience well and have done my best to avoid cold water ever since!

Last edited by charliepridham; 23rd April 2018 at 10:21.. Reason: spelling
Old 8th June 2018, 00:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

Hi Remeber it well. Bill Curry was in charge of the main block Capt Nelson in overall charge, Chiefy held divisons, (hair check) on top of the Nav block, being Ex RHS i could march which was an advantage! I was with NZSCo. until the October Revolution in 1971 when all P&O cargo ships combined to General Cargo Division. We had no workshops so we went to HMS Fisgard each day for workshop training, that has all gone now. We had to complete 1000's of hours in practical workshop training 1300 in Phase III alone, these days they are lucky to see the inside of a workshop. I am told Training consists of being allowed to "play" in the workshop for a week! I returned to Plymouth for 2nds Eng in 1977 and had a great time back in the old huants. I did not know the "Jamie" was still going otherwise i would have made a point of visiting last year, my wife and I returned to the UK from NZ for a month. Went to Plymouth to visit family and had a lovely time. The college is part of the University now so i expect they no longer teach Marine guys! I went back to South Shields, i did Ph III there the college has started to train Cadets again, but the Doxford is long gone, they did not even know that the college had one in the 1970's, happy days. Rgds
Old 8th June 2018, 07:46
Department: Deck

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKR RHS 8 View Post
Hi Remeber it well. Bill Curry was in charge of the main block Capt Nelson in overall charge, Chiefy held divisons, (hair check) on top of the Nav block, being Ex RHS i could march which was an advantage! I was with NZSCo. until the October Revolution in 1971 when all P&O cargo ships combined to General Cargo Division. We had no workshops so we went to HMS Fisgard each day for workshop training, that has all gone now. We had to complete 1000's of hours in practical workshop training 1300 in Phase III alone, these days they are lucky to see the inside of a workshop. I am told Training consists of being allowed to "play" in the workshop for a week! I returned to Plymouth for 2nds Eng in 1977 and had a great time back in the old huants. I did not know the "Jamie" was still going otherwise i would have made a point of visiting last year, my wife and I returned to the UK from NZ for a month. Went to Plymouth to visit family and had a lovely time. The college is part of the University now so i expect they no longer teach Marine guys! I went back to South Shields, i did Ph III there the college has started to train Cadets again, but the Doxford is long gone, they did not even know that the college had one in the 1970's, happy days. Rgds
Shared a room with three NZS Eng Cadets during my first session at Plymouth in 1970. Nice bunch of lads and I spent a lot of time with one (Dave) going to see bands at the Guildhall! Place has all changed now, not been around Portland Place for a long time now so I guess I wouldn't recognise it.
Rooftop inspections before flag break, Saturday morning marching round the car-park .. all a thing of the past now!
Old 8th June 2018, 07:48

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliepridham View Post
Not a good swimmer either, I remember that experience well and have done my best to avoid cold water ever since!
Weekend survival on 'Tectona' in Plymouth Sound?

That vessel is still sailing!
Old 8th June 2018, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Weekend survival on 'Tectona' in Plymouth Sound?

That vessel is still sailing!
I know saw her the other day, our survival whatsit was on Phase three and was out in the Channel dumped over the side and left for about 6 hours, was told later Tectona was not that far away but we couldn't see her and the whole thing was pretty realistic
Old 8th June 2018, 12:14

My location
Quote:
I know saw her the other day, our survival whatsit was on Phase three and was out in the Channel dumped over the side and left for about 6 hours, was told later Tectona was not that far away but we couldn't see her and the whole thing was pretty realistic
Taken summer 2014 at the Barbican!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tec1.jpg (64.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg tec2.jpg (47.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 9th June 2018, 01:33

Hi Derek,
I am a "Dave" but i did not start until 1971. I did spend a lot of time going to the Guildhall for concerts. Traffic, Genesis, the Strawbs, Lyndisfarne, Barclay James Harvest etc, also quite a lot of time at the Folk Club, Bill Lang ran the place at the Duke of Cornwall hotel i think. Met up with Bill a couple of years back visiting Plymouth in 2013. I had been to Greenwich for the 300yr celebrations for the Royal Hospital School, dinner in the Painted Hall fantastic. I often had a card from Bill at Christmas but they have dried up so not sure if he is still around, he was not well when we last met up. if you drop me a note at my e-mail i may be able to tell you more david at nzoffshore dot com. I joined the Institute of Marine Engineers at PlymoUth 1973 and my 45 year certificate just arrived! Must be getting old now.
Rgds
Old 9th June 2018, 08:13

My location
Quote:
Hi Derek,
I am a "Dave" but i did not start until 1971. I did spend a lot of time going to the Guildhall for concerts. Traffic, Genesis, the Strawbs, Lyndisfarne, Barclay James Harvest etc, also quite a lot of time at the Folk Club, Bill Lang ran the place at the Duke of Cornwall hotel i think.
Rgds
Was the Cabin leader a smallish NZS lad called Ian I think? I shared with two other BP Nav Cadets - six of us in total in the room. Saw loads of bands back then ... used to go home and see them in Torquay then again in Plymouth!
Old 18th July 2018, 06:56

My location
I'm sure many ex-RNC lads will be sad to read about the Two Trees pub.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/new...rebar_facebook
Old 11th September 2018, 14:43

My location
Quote:
Lots of names there I remember, most of them in fact - Mike Evans was my best man and last I heard of him he was assistant harbour master at either Southampton or Portsmouth, having been at Falmouth for some time before that. Lost touch with him when I divorced my first wife some 10 years ago.
42 years ago when Mike and I looked like this!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (15.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (15.6 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by derekhore; 11th September 2018 at 16:57..
Old 12th September 2018, 16:39
Active: 1970 - 1984

Hi Charlie, Some familiar names there, so I thought I'd upload this photo, which I've already passed to Derek, for you. I used to see John Murray, Andy Winbow and Dave Wheal now and again around and about in London at maritime events until I retired few years back. Also I bumped into Scotty Carney when I was involved in offshore industry, last I heard he was living in Ireland. Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0006.jpg (97.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 12th September 2018, 18:01

My god, I can't believe they ever trusted us with a ship!! I haven't seen anybody since the reunion in 2005, hope someone does another before we are all too knackered to make it
Old 12th September 2018, 18:58

My location
Quote:
My god, I can't believe they ever trusted us with a ship!! I haven't seen anybody since the reunion in 2005, hope someone does another before we are all too knackered to make it
Don't think I have seen anybody since I finished the courses back in 1978 - after that everything was done at Bristol College and then Warsash!!
Old 29th October 2018, 20:46
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1961

I was there in 1950 Capt Johnson was the Principal I remember Capt Day he sold me his flat back mandolin saying it would be a comfort at sea but I never did master it!
I also remember a welsh instructor called Yangon Pice (I remember him because he didnít like me) I lodged at the notorious Fort Buxton Mrs Buxton was a formidable landlady but could have rare maternal moments
Old 29th October 2018, 23:40

Plymouth Cadets

Quote:
Was the Cabin leader a smallish NZS lad called Ian I think? I shared with two other BP Nav Cadets - six of us in total in the room. Saw loads of bands back then ... used to go home and see them in Torquay then again in Plymouth!
Hi Derek, we had a couple of lads from Scotland Ian Much and John Read, both rather short but real characters. I hardly understood a word John said! so Ian would translate. I am trying to upload a photo of all of us on the roof Nav Block 1st year, not having much luck so will give it a go later.
Rgds
Old 13th January 2020, 08:48
Active: 1970 - 2010

Do recall trouble with the locals - Richard Soper was "glassed" in a bar at one such incident.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:58

My location
Quote:
Hi Derek, we had a couple of lads from Scotland Ian Much and John Read, both rather short but real characters. I hardly understood a word John said! so Ian would translate. I am trying to upload a photo of all of us on the roof Nav Block 1st year, not having much luck so will give it a go later.
Rgds
Ian Much was our 'Cabin Leader' for Phase one .. I think there were two other NZ Shipping lads (Dave ??) Engineer Cadets and three of us BP Deck Cadets in the 6-berth room.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhalligan View Post
Do recall trouble with the locals - Richard Soper was "glassed" in a bar at one such incident.
That incident did at least get something done about the situation, I remember the police arriving and persuading the Engineers not to take their revenge that they would sort it, and some while later the leader of the skins Bimbo Taylor was jailed for Murder. Not helped in my view by the college insisting on us wearing our uniforms in town thankfully abandoned by Phase 3 , also had a students union strike at the Poly which our companies made sure we had nothing to do with on pain of sacking so we were not too popular with the other students either, Penguins I believe they called us!
Old 13th January 2020, 09:43

My location
Quote:
That incident did at least get something done about the situation, I remember the police arriving and persuading the Engineers not to take their revenge that they would sort it, and some while later the leader of the skins Bimbo Taylor was jailed for Murder. Not helped in my view by the college insisting on us wearing our uniforms in town thankfully abandoned by Phase 3 , also had a students union strike at the Poly which our companies made sure we had nothing to do with on pain of sacking so we were not too popular with the other students either, Penguins I believe they called us!
If I remember correctly a call used to go out over the tannoy system for the motorcycle club to assemble in the foyer - meaning there was trouble outside!
Old 21st January 2020, 21:25

Quote:
Rgds
Recall both Ian Mutch and John Read I think they were part of the 1971 intake - pretty sure John Read was from NI and was a B&C Cadet
Old 21st January 2020, 21:42

Cadets Plymouth 1971.pdf
Quote:
Recall both Ian Mutch and John Read I think they were part of the 1971 intake - pretty sure John Read was from NI and was a B&C Cadet
Good day Jim, Correct we had 2 Reads John from Scotland was NZSCo. and "Paddy Read" as you say was with B&C. We were all in the 1st year OND together and then split up in 2nd year. I will need to see if i can find the photos, my memory a bit hazy after all these years! The spelling of their names may be in question as well as Read could be "Reed" or "Reid" What year did you join?
Rgds
David
Cadets Plymouth 1971.pdf
I think I have managed to add the PDF file, if you click on it (Cadets at Plymouth 1971 PDF) it should should add the photo!

Last edited by DKR RHS 8; 21st January 2020 at 21:55.. Reason: Add PDF photo
Old 26th January 2020, 19:28

Hi David,
Great photo thanks for posting.
If there were 2 John Reids then I stand corrected as I only recall "Paddy" as I was also B&C.
Have recently been in contact with Dave Barton from your year who is s working in London for one of the Consultancies.
I am trying to help arrange a reunion for our year in Plymouth during September to celebrate 50 years.
Sadly I am attending the funeral of Bob Mennie on Friday who was one of our year.
Old 26th January 2020, 22:03

Quote:
Hi David,
Great photo thanks for posting.
If there were 2 John Reids then I stand corrected as I only recall "Paddy" as I was also B&C.
Have recently been in contact with Dave Barton from your year who is s working in London for one of the Consultancies.
I am trying to help arrange a reunion for our year in Plymouth during September to celebrate 50 years.
Sadly I am attending the funeral of Bob Mennie on Friday who was one of our year.
Good morning Jim,
Looking at the photo Paddy Reid is back row 1st on the left, John Reid is 2nd row 2nd from left and Ian Much is next to John 3rd from Left, i am next to Paddy in the back row! Sadly i do not have many photos of the time in Plymouth most were lost to an accident with an exploding lemonade bottle in our kitchen store cupboard, my photos were stored in the same cupboard in a shoe box, my wife ditched the lot, mind i think there was a few old Girl Friends among them!
Not a grey hair in sight what a fine looking bunch of young men.

You will no doubt have done the workshop time at Fisgard as we all did in those days until they finally built there own workshop. Bill Currie was in charge and we had Bill Findlay and also "Debbie" Reynolds.
I returned to do my 2nd's in 1977 and enjoyed 4 months at the college.
Where will you hold the re-union? i am not sure they do any nautical studies at Plymouth now as it is a University, no doubt the "Boaties" would lower the tone of the place.
Rgds
Dave
Old 29th January 2020, 08:47

Hi Dave,
I recognise the faces now you point them out.
Yes we did all our workshop time at Fisgard with swollen thumbs from chiselling metal blocks down in size. Not forgetting the vice we had to make during the 6 week summer break! I met Bill Findlay again about 3 years ago at a Union Castle reunion in Southampton and was able to buy him a pint, forever the ladies man with an attractive partner in tow. Bill F died about 6 months ago. I have since been in contact with Bill and Alma Currie as I heard they were still going and living in Southampton. It would have been great to get Bill down to Plymouth with us - alas he is now over 90 and too frail to travel.
We are planning to meet up in Plymouth Sept 11 & 12 meeting in James Street Vaults and then move onto a function room.
One thing I would like to get done at the reunion is to record those of us who sailed with Doxfords to do a rendition of the Doxford Dance - might indeed turn out to be a messy weekend!