Ships Nostalgia banner

Plymouth Nautical College .. Portland Place

116K views 239 replies 61 participants last post by  taffe65 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone else down at Plymouth from 1970 onwards, BP or otherwise?

Days of Bill Currie as head warden; Chiefy Tozer for signals, flag break on the teaching block roof and drill on Saturday mornings; Mr Lester for GSK; Seamanship with Mr Mitchell & Captain Hyde at the Seamanship Centre down at Cattedown; Fire Courses at Ernesettle fire station ... the list goes on!

Many other Deck Cadets there from Shell, Reardon Smith, Blue Star, RFA, New Zealand Shipping .. plus a lot of Engineer cadets too.

Sparkies also did their Radio Courses at Plymouth Poly.

After the Induction Course at the main residential building (paid for by Shell), Phase 2 was spent either there again or in Merrifield Hall or Standard House.

Happy days, even though we had to wear uniform during the day, including all visits into the City Centre!

#182 · (Edited)
Mitchell, Lester & Lethbridge were tutors I also had, Capt Hyde for Seamanship. None of those other names ring any bells apart from Bill Currie and Chiefy Tozer.
I think I had Hill for Navigation as well on Phase 3, all a bit hazy now and certainly my paperwork has long gone awol!
Any other Cadet names come to mind - certainly the for Phase 1the CCC at the RNC I remember was a soft spoken lad from Irish Shipping - and our JCC was Jimmy Landrie who loved to exert his authority. There were 6 in our room for Phase 1, 3 engineer cadets and 3 Nav.
Phase 3 was much better!!

Radar Course at Fisher's Nose (now a cafe), Fire Fighting at Camel's Head fire station, Sea Survival aboard 'Tectona' (still sailing!) :)

#185 ·
As our home move slowly progresses I've been trying to remember some the names from my time at Plymouth. Induction course I remember Dave Wheal and guy called Ludrecious (heard he'd been killed in car crash sometime later). From Phase 1 Challis, Holtham and Forsyte-Benson from RFA, Evans from BP, Lester from Reardon Smith (think there were two others from Reatdon Smith). From Phase 3 Dave (Jock) Gilles, Andy Gibbons, Binks Gilbert, Viv Gough, Jules (friend of Viv's), Dave Ellis ( had motorbike?), Dax Dollaphillia from Sri Lanka. Now my brain's hurting!

#183 ·
I was a cadet at Reardon Smith Nautical College in Llandaff, Cardiff - in 1959-60. I was friends with Tate, Al-Ghanim, Burnett, and some more.
Does anyone know;
A/ What happened to RSNC at it seems to have vanished.
B/ Where any of my past-time friends are. I waw Thysal Al-Ghanim in Kuwait a couple of years later (1961) and that's it.

I live overseas now and feel rekindling these memories would be very enjoyable.

Thanks for any snippet of help.

Edward

#184 · (Edited)
This book Last Voyage to Wewak by Simon Hall is being published imminently. It is Simon's third book. He was at Plymouth navigation college intake 1969.

I read his first two books and they were well written and interesting and this one is the final part of his sea going career.

His first book about his Shell deck apprenticeship beginning 1969 on an old Shell tanker (ex Eagle oil) and followed by seatime at Plymouth navigation college is called Under a Yellow Sky, sold very well and was shortlisted for the Mountbatten Maritime Award - as a result the publishers asked Simon to write some follow up work.

The second book is a follow on after he took his 2nd mates ticket continuing with Shell Tankers and then after Shell suoertanker switching to General cargo ships, Chasing Conrad, did quite well in the UK although sold particularly well overseas..

In his third in the trilogy, Last Voyage to Wewak it takes him to the end of the road. It received a good review in 'Books from Scotland -

I am including the link below which covers all three books and photos of front covers.

http://booksfromscotland.com/2016/09/last-voyage-wewak

#187 ·
It was definitely Dave Wheal as I've just dig his card out from when I met him many years later when he was working at the MAIB. It was also Steve Lester as I had dealings with both him and Jock Gilles when I worked at the Nautical Institute. Then Steve worked for Milford Haven port and Jock for Forth ports if my memory serves me right. Was the PennyComeQuick the pub in the middle of the roundabout?

#194 ·
#199 ·
MCA Examiners

Merry Christmas all, studied for Masters at Plymouth in 1985/86. Remember Freddie Weekes and Graham Danton (his lectures with the Mates Classes were always a 'bit showbiz'!!) and also Alston Kennerley.
Trying to remember name of Maritime Law lecturer - excellent teacher and fantastic knowledge of a rather dry subject!
Also, can anyone recall the names of any DTp (now MCA) examiners at the time please?
Cheers, Andy

#201 · (Edited)
Merry Christmas all, studied for Masters at Plymouth in 1985/86. Remember Freddie Weekes and Graham Danton (his lectures with the Mates Classes were always a 'bit showbiz'!!) and also Alston Kennerley.
Trying to remember name of Maritime Law lecturer - excellent teacher and fantastic knowledge of a rather dry subject!
Also, can anyone recall the names of any DTp (now MCA) examiners at the time please?
Cheers, Andy
My examiner for masters was a Capt Braid I think

#200 ·
One other thing I remember, and I think it's been mentioned here before, was the swimming test in the harbour. Being a non-swimmer I was exempt from it but had to watch other poor souls going through it! It also resulted in myself and others having to go for swimming lessons at a pool in Home Park I think. Never did learn to swim and so it was very interesting later in my career when I did my offshore survival course, I got to wear a different coloured safety helmet!

#203 ·
Hi Remeber it well. Bill Curry was in charge of the main block Capt Nelson in overall charge, Chiefy held divisons, (hair check) on top of the Nav block, being Ex RHS i could march which was an advantage! I was with NZSCo. until the October Revolution in 1971 when all P&O cargo ships combined to General Cargo Division. We had no workshops so we went to HMS Fisgard each day for workshop training, that has all gone now. We had to complete 1000's of hours in practical workshop training 1300 in Phase III alone, these days they are lucky to see the inside of a workshop. I am told Training consists of being allowed to "play" in the workshop for a week! I returned to Plymouth for 2nds Eng in 1977 and had a great time back in the old huants. I did not know the "Jamie" was still going otherwise i would have made a point of visiting last year, my wife and I returned to the UK from NZ for a month. Went to Plymouth to visit family and had a lovely time. The college is part of the University now so i expect they no longer teach Marine guys! I went back to South Shields, i did Ph III there the college has started to train Cadets again, but the Doxford is long gone, they did not even know that the college had one in the 1970's, happy days. Rgds

#204 ·
Shared a room with three NZS Eng Cadets during my first session at Plymouth in 1970. Nice bunch of lads and I spent a lot of time with one (Dave) going to see bands at the Guildhall! Place has all changed now, not been around Portland Place for a long time now so I guess I wouldn't recognise it.
Rooftop inspections before flag break, Saturday morning marching round the car-park .. all a thing of the past now!

#208 ·
Hi Derek,
I am a "Dave" but i did not start until 1971. I did spend a lot of time going to the Guildhall for concerts. Traffic, Genesis, the Strawbs, Lyndisfarne, Barclay James Harvest etc, also quite a lot of time at the Folk Club, Bill Lang ran the place at the Duke of Cornwall hotel i think. Met up with Bill a couple of years back visiting Plymouth in 2013. I had been to Greenwich for the 300yr celebrations for the Royal Hospital School, dinner in the Painted Hall fantastic. I often had a card from Bill at Christmas but they have dried up so not sure if he is still around, he was not well when we last met up. if you drop me a note at my e-mail i may be able to tell you more david at nzoffshore dot com. I joined the Institute of Marine Engineers at PlymoUth 1973 and my 45 year certificate just arrived! Must be getting old now.
Rgds

#209 ·
Hi Derek,
I am a "Dave" but i did not start until 1971. I did spend a lot of time going to the Guildhall for concerts. Traffic, Genesis, the Strawbs, Lyndisfarne, Barclay James Harvest etc, also quite a lot of time at the Folk Club, Bill Lang ran the place at the Duke of Cornwall hotel i think.
Rgds
Was the Cabin leader a smallish NZS lad called Ian I think? I shared with two other BP Nav Cadets - six of us in total in the room. Saw loads of bands back then ... used to go home and see them in Torquay then again in Plymouth!

#212 ·
Hi Charlie, Some familiar names there, so I thought I'd upload this photo, which I've already passed to Derek, for you. I used to see John Murray, Andy Winbow and Dave Wheal now and again around and about in London at maritime events until I retired few years back. Also I bumped into Scotty Carney when I was involved in offshore industry, last I heard he was living in Ireland. Ian

Attachments

#215 ·
I was there in 1950 Capt Johnson was the Principal I remember Capt Day he sold me his flat back mandolin saying it would be a comfort at sea but I never did master it!
I also remember a welsh instructor called Yangon Pice (I remember him because he didn’t like me) I lodged at the notorious Fort Buxton Mrs Buxton was a formidable landlady but could have rare maternal moments

#219 ·
That incident did at least get something done about the situation, I remember the police arriving and persuading the Engineers not to take their revenge that they would sort it, and some while later the leader of the skins Bimbo Taylor was jailed for Murder. Not helped in my view by the college insisting on us wearing our uniforms in town thankfully abandoned by Phase 3 , also had a students union strike at the Poly which our companies made sure we had nothing to do with on pain of sacking so we were not too popular with the other students either, Penguins I believe they called us!

#223 ·
Hi David,
Great photo thanks for posting.
If there were 2 John Reids then I stand corrected as I only recall "Paddy" as I was also B&C.
Have recently been in contact with Dave Barton from your year who is s working in London for one of the Consultancies.
I am trying to help arrange a reunion for our year in Plymouth during September to celebrate 50 years.
Sadly I am attending the funeral of Bob Mennie on Friday who was one of our year.

#224 ·
Good morning Jim,
Looking at the photo Paddy Reid is back row 1st on the left, John Reid is 2nd row 2nd from left and Ian Much is next to John 3rd from Left, i am next to Paddy in the back row! Sadly i do not have many photos of the time in Plymouth most were lost to an accident with an exploding lemonade bottle in our kitchen store cupboard, my photos were stored in the same cupboard in a shoe box, my wife ditched the lot, mind i think there was a few old Girl Friends among them!
Not a grey hair in sight what a fine looking bunch of young men.

You will no doubt have done the workshop time at Fisgard as we all did in those days until they finally built there own workshop. Bill Currie was in charge and we had Bill Findlay and also "Debbie" Reynolds.
I returned to do my 2nd's in 1977 and enjoyed 4 months at the college.
Where will you hold the re-union? i am not sure they do any nautical studies at Plymouth now as it is a University, no doubt the "Boaties" would lower the tone of the place.
Rgds
Dave

#225 ·
Hi Dave,
I recognise the faces now you point them out.
Yes we did all our workshop time at Fisgard with swollen thumbs from chiselling metal blocks down in size. Not forgetting the vice we had to make during the 6 week summer break! I met Bill Findlay again about 3 years ago at a Union Castle reunion in Southampton and was able to buy him a pint, forever the ladies man with an attractive partner in tow. Bill F died about 6 months ago. I have since been in contact with Bill and Alma Currie as I heard they were still going and living in Southampton. It would have been great to get Bill down to Plymouth with us - alas he is now over 90 and too frail to travel.
We are planning to meet up in Plymouth Sept 11 & 12 meeting in James Street Vaults and then move onto a function room.
One thing I would like to get done at the reunion is to record those of us who sailed with Doxfords to do a rendition of the Doxford Dance - might indeed turn out to be a messy weekend!

#226 ·
Good afternoon Jim,
Sorry to hear Bill Findlay has died, the do not seem to print obituary in the Institute any longer. Bill must have been getting on in years just as you say Bill Currie is 90!
I remember the 1 inch block well and up until,very recently my vice was in use in my workshop, I finally splashed out and purchased a 5inch jaw with rotating head for a pipe vice on the reverse.
I did time on Doxfords and went to South Shields for Ph III witht he famed Doxford shop, it has been moved to a museum in tghe lake district now. My friend Kent Pedder ex Blue Star and i went looking for the engine in the college a couple of years back. We passed security and found a workshop with Cadets in it. asked the tutor "where is the Doxford" blank looks all round, we have a simulator they said! Still it was nice to see some young chaps in training. They don't do anything like the workshop hours we had and the Auckland Marine school is now turning out "watch keepers" in 2 years flat! they are good on the simulator mind.
My son is planning on the big OE in the UK this year which will give me an excuse to visit. I met up with ex Royal Hospital School mates last time round in 2017, had wonderful afternoons in the pub, it was as if we were 16 again! happy days.
Rgds
Dave

#227 ·
Dave, Let me know if you visit UK and are in the Southampton area it would be nice to meet up.
Both my sons went to sea for their overseas experience one now working as an engineer on the local tugs while the other is waiting his Captains position on a mega-yacht. My daughter also spent 2 years at sea on cruise ships as a photographer so they were all at sea at one stage, while my wife ran a marine recruitment company.
I have spent plenty of time in Australia for various marine and offshore projects but New Zealand is still on the bucket list, preferably as part of a world cruise on retiring!

#228 ·
Hi Jim,
I will make a point of contacting you, i will likely make a visit at some point. My son is a builder, i did take him on the local tugs and did a trip offshore with him on the Pacific Chieftain, it did not spark him to want to run away to sea! Still he is a good builder.
If you send me a phone number i will give you a call at a suitable time we are 13 hours ahead currently, my e-mail is david at nzoffshore dot com. I have spent a lot of time in the offshore in NZ but our current government has kicked for touch with the greens in coalition it was popular with a small number but Taranaki has taken it hard, still we will move on no doubt.
Rgds
dave