Rowbotham Tankships Ltd - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
04:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

User Tag List

Old 19th August 2011, 14:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKB View Post
I didn't work for Rowbothams but spent a lot of time on the Echoman and Tankerman trying to get the 12MB275 engines to work properly. Three Chief Engineers who I remember well are Dave Farmer (left to work in hospital maintenance), George Gardner (left but made a comeback later) and Kali Akhtar. All showed great forebearance even when things weren't going very well. There were others too, whose names escape me at this distance; a Second Engineer from the south west somewhere who was into lawnmower racing, for example.
I also recall the Superintendent Engineer, Eddie Neylon, one of the nicest people I ever met in any walk of life. He eventually left and got involved with subsea stuff, now retired and involved with the Beaulieu Light Railway. His boss, Fred Greyell, no longer with us, was a decent chap to work with too.

JKB, ex Mirrlees Blackstone Service Department.

Do you remember MIKE COTTON? ... C/E on the Wheelsman and then the Tillerman.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:19
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Do you remember MIKE COTTON? ... C/E on the Wheelsman and then the Tillerman.
I knew of Mike Cotton but never met him. I have sailed with and relieved George Gardner and Kali Aktar, both now retired, George helps at the Beamish museum on an old Doxford Engine, Kali retired on health grounds (heart) and at one time was running a Pub in Peterlee, however he has left the Pub but I don't know where he is now living.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:36

My location
Cheers .. Mike is fully retired now, having left the sea and becoming a caretaker for a children's school near his home in Warwick. He now spends quite a lot of time helping with the Shire horses at the Fullers brewery.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:03
Active: 1976 - 2010

martin mcdonough

does any one know if captain andrews of the cableman is still around
Old 19th March 2012, 09:19
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1982 - Present

Anyone remember the hard working, dedicated, loyal, devoted, underpaid boarding clerks and agents in Milford Haven.... ???

ps Derek that's partly directed at you amongst others...

Last edited by Boss Hogg Jr; 19th March 2012 at 09:20.. Reason: forgot to add.....
Old 19th March 2012, 09:47

My location
Of course ... but your posting pseudonym gives you away there Mr Phillips Jr!!
Old 19th March 2012, 09:48
Active: 1958 - 2010

Way way back in 1958/59 one of the most regular callers in the Tees was the Quarterman, Captain Muckle, as she was often only in port for a tide it was the office boy,me, who saw her most,delivering mail, before she left for the Tyne or Rotterdam......I remember 'the Bond' was a small hole under the Captains Bunk where I may be rewarded with a small bottle of 'Oranjeboom'..if Customs hadn't already drunk it....

geoff
Old 19th March 2012, 09:53

My location
Nice to hear from you BH Jr .. only person I keep in touch with these days is Mike Cotton, C/E you no doubt remember from the Wheelsman & then the Tillerman.

Happy days then with great ships & great crews, both on board and ashore!
Old 19th March 2012, 18:16

Where is Boss Hogg senior these days. We were both Supers at the same time when he started at Milford when Ken Watson retired.

Sebe
Old 19th March 2012, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg Jr View Post
Anyone remember the hard working, dedicated, loyal, devoted, underpaid boarding clerks and agents in Milford Haven.... ???

ps Derek that's partly directed at you amongst others...

Who was Rowbotham's marine superintendant in Milford Haven/Pembroke in the 70s-80s?
In the North it was Capt David Laverick, a very pleasant chap.
The South Wales guy was equally affable, but I have forgotten his name. A big, dark haired bloke, loud voice and cheerful, even standing on the jetty at Milford at four AM in a howling South Westerly.
Regards,
Pat
Old 19th March 2012, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Who was Rowbotham's marine superintendant in Milford Haven/Pembroke in the 70s-80s?
In the North it was Capt David Laverick, a very pleasant chap.
The South Wales guy was equally affable, but I have forgotten his name. A big, dark haired bloke, loud voice and cheerful, even standing on the jetty at Milford at four AM in a howling South Westerly.
Regards,
Pat
John Phillips was in Milford
Old 20th March 2012, 10:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebe View Post
aka Boss Hogg!
Old 21st April 2012, 10:57

Class v trainees

Seems a long time ago that i first left Shellhaven aboard the Stellaman (1980) as a class v trainee, was sea sick in the Thames and spent the next two and a half months hanging over the side feeling ill. Managed to control the sickness and joined the Astraman, wheelsman, Orionman, Polarisman, Rudderman, Marsman, Tankerman, blah blah.

Collected the class V, excited about getting out as a mate but ended up back out as AB before being laid down in 83 due to the shipping slump. Spent couple of years delivering and recovering vessels , before a year on the rigs.

It was good to see mention of Tim Kelly in the posts, he and I were in the same group of trainees along with Tim Sturgess and Julian Lloyd.
If any photos come to light as I clear out old rubbish ill post them.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:12

My location
Hi Richard ..

I regularly correspond with Tim - I will pass your name onto him and mention those others as well!

Cheers
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:49

Tim

Thanks, have fond memories of our time in Greavesend and Greenhithe, we all seemed to have nicknames back then, he would remember me as Brighton and his name i would like to post but i had best not on here.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:09

My location
Tim is on Facebook, that is how I correspond with him ... mentioned your name on Saturday along with the others - he remembers you well!
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:37

That's great, i'm under Richard Young and Widerwake on facebook, tried to find Tim but couldn't.
Thanks for passing on message, and glad he remembers me and the hazy days at greenhithe.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:56

Milford Haven

Quote:
Sure you mean Capt John Phillips (the hair ain't so dark anymore though), not sure what you guys called him but I called him Dad!

ps before him it was Ken Watson, another real character - known to me for so long as Uncle, Captain, Ken Watson Sir....
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:03

Ah Derek, so good to hear from you, Dad is all IT'd up these days, should get him on here, ps Boss Hogg Jr was better than being called Aenus!....

Anyway, don't suppose anyone on here has GA's for the Cableman or failing that the Pointsman. Reasin is that I'm looking to have a 1:72 scale model comissioned for my office, with so few people still in the company that would remember me it may be difficult going to the company itself, Although not impossible.

Mike O'Brien was kind enough to pass me the painting we did of the Pointsman for Ken's retirement, which Ken left to him. It would be nice to have the model especially as she ended up as a bunker tanker (Ma Bro, for Petromarine SA, France) after leaving Rowbothams, and that is the sector I now find myself active within.
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:50

My location
Quote:
Sure you mean Capt John Phillips (the hair ain't so dark anymore though), not sure what you guys called him but I called him Dad!
You mean he still has hair??

Afraid I don't have anything related to what you are looking for!! .. just fond memories of the Tillerman - & of course her bell!!

A shame digital cameras weren't around back then as we have missed out on some wonderful photo's - I have very few from the Robo days unfortunately and there are not many left online now.

Interestingly, I see the Tilly was last registered in Ghana and owned by a Hadi Mohammad!!
Old 23rd April 2012, 19:23

[QUOTE=Boss Hogg Jr;592608]Sure you mean Capt John Phillips (the hair ain't so dark anymore though), not sure what you guys called him but I called him Dad!QUOTE]

Well BH Jnr, I think we met in the early 70's when your dad was on Wheelsman and I was on Rudderman, both laid up in Dartmouth. I sailed with John on the Pointsman and relieved him when he went for his Masters ticket. We were both supers at the time he went to Milford.
I remember when I was Mate on the Pointsman going into Shoreham on the big lock and he was coming out of Shoreham in the small lock on the Guidesman, I think as first trip Master bound for Milford. At that time, he told me to tell Tommy Williams (Master of Pointsman), that "it was a damn site easier ship handling from the foc'sle than from the bridge."
We discharged and sailed for Milford and on arrival, Ken Watson asked if we had seen the Guidesman. If you ask BH Snr, he can explain where he had been.......

Give him by best regards,
(ColinB)
Sebe

Last edited by Sebe; 23rd April 2012 at 19:31..
Old 8th May 2012, 10:26

[QUOTE=Sebe;592765]
Quote:
Sure you mean Capt John Phillips (the hair ain't so dark anymore though), not sure what you guys called him but I called him Dad!QUOTE]

Well BH Jnr, I think we met in the early 70's when your dad was on Wheelsman and I was on Rudderman, both laid up in Dartmouth. I sailed with John on the Pointsman and relieved him when he went for his Masters ticket. We were both supers at the time he went to Milford.
I remember when I was Mate on the Pointsman going into Shoreham on the big lock and he was coming out of Shoreham in the small lock on the Guidesman, I think as first trip Master bound for Milford. At that time, he told me to tell Tommy Williams (Master of Pointsman), that "it was a damn site easier ship handling from the foc'sle than from the bridge."
We discharged and sailed for Milford and on arrival, Ken Watson asked if we had seen the Guidesman. If you ask BH Snr, he can explain where he had been.......

Give him by best regards,
(ColinB)
Sebe
Colin - good to hear from you... If I know Dad - fishing, probably had John Bates as mate and went in search of skate....

Was at sisters wedding at the weekend and he made a resplendant father of the bride... if you do Facebook - look for me there (John Phillips, Singapore)... You can catch up with him and his exploits there or via skype (which he now has)...
Old 13th May 2012, 19:23

[QUOTE=Boss Hogg Jr;595511]
Quote:
Colin - good to hear from you... If I know Dad - fishing, probably had John Bates as mate and went in search of skate....

Was at sisters wedding at the weekend and he made a resplendant father of the bride... if you do Facebook - look for me there (John Phillips, Singapore)... You can catch up with him and his exploits there or via skype (which he now has)...
i was on the cable man with capt bates,anchored off port linus waiting for mersey pilot the **** end was full of skate what he and the bosun big bert georgeson had caught, he had a buyer for them in eastam to
Old 15th May 2012, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
There must be plenty of ex-Rockies on here, certainly some threads following on in the picture gallery would indicate that, so, in the words of a Norwich City Chairwoman.."Let's be 'avin you!"

Me - mate & 2nd mate - March 1980/July 1987......Rudderman (x3), Helmsman, Tillerman (my regular vessel x17), Orionman, Leadsman (x3), River Shannon (x4), Oilman (x3), Pointsman, Oarsman, Eastgate, Quarterman, Echoman (x4), Polarisman, Stellaman.
OUR PATHS MUST OF CROSSED I WAS WITH ROCKIES,OVER TEN YEARS,I WAS ON QUITE A FEW OF THEM THOUGH NOT ALL OFF THE
IN THE EARLY DAYS I HAD TO DO A 13WEEKER JUST TO GET 3 WEEKS OFF,TIMES HAVE CHANGED I NOW DO 2WEEKS ON AND 4 WEEKS OFF ON THE NORWEGIAN SECTOR OF THE NORTH SEA
Old 28th June 2012, 19:17

alright dean, remember the days well, did,nt you live on the pembroke side, kessy,s dad worked on the tugs,wonder if daisy andrews is still going(skipper) are you still on the ships,or offshore??