Blue Flue losses WW2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Blue Flue losses WW2

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 6th October 2010, 22:26
The Dog The Dog is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 74
Blue Flue losses WW2

List of Blue Funnel ship losses during WW2 anyone please. Woof
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 6th October 2010, 22:55
Cisco's Avatar
Cisco Cisco is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
My location
Posts: 6,492
Aeneas, Agapenor, Anchises, Autolycus, Automedon, Breconshire, Calchas, Centaur, Clytoneus, Cyclops, Dardenus, Deucalion, Dolius, Eumaeus, Eurylochus, Eurymedon, Glenorchy, Glenshiel, Hector, Helenus, Ixion, Laertes, Maron, Medon, Memnon, Mentor, Meriones, Myrmidon, Patroclus, Peisander, Perseus, Phemius, Polydorus, Polyphemus, Protesilaus,Pyrrhus, Rhexenor, Stentor, Talthybius, Tantalus, Teiresias, Titan, Troilus, Ulysses.
Also the managed ships Chilean Reefer, Empire Reefer, Fort MacLeod, Mendoza, Pierre Loti, Samneva, Ville de Rouen and Ville de Tamatave.

That little list gives pause for thought doesn't it.....
__________________
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 7th October 2010, 07:37
PollY Anna PollY Anna is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
My location
Posts: 845
Cisco

And that is just one Company. Tramping Co's lost more as before the War a lot were slow old tubs !!!!! and it just became open season. Brave Men.

Ron
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 7th October 2010, 07:44
Thats another Story Thats another Story is offline
user
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,615
At the MN remembrance day LIVERPOOL i struck up a conversation with an old salt he was in his 90s and his mate. The blue funnel boat he was on was bombed and sunk he lost some shipmates but with a dry smile on his face he said{that was a bad day that i lost a new suit on that ship} then he laid a wreath of flowers at the cenotaph at the pierhead. maybe THE DOG could put a name to the gentleman and the BF boat i would love to meet him again . john
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 7th October 2010, 08:40
BillH BillH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
List of Blue Funnel ship losses during WW2 anyone please. Woof
Summary Of War Losses.
Excluding the small vessels captured by Japan and recovered post war.

Date Name Cause * = Managed vessels.

21.01.1940 PROTESILAUS Mine.
17.02.1940 PYRRHUS U 37.
17.06.1940 TEIRESIAS German aircraft bombing.
02.07.1940 AENEAS German aircraft bombing.
04.09.1940 TITAN U 28.
25.09.1940 EURYMEDON U 29.
04.11.1940 PATROCLUS U 99.
11.11.1940 AUTOMEDON ATLANTIS (German raider).
08.01.1941 CLYTONEUS German aircraft bombing.
14.01.1941 EUMAEUS COMANDANTE CAPPELLINI (It.Sub.)
24.01.1941 MERIONES Stranding / German aircraft.
29.01.1941 EURYLOCHUS KORMORAN (German raider).
28.02.1941 ANCHISES German aircraft bombing.
11.03.1941 MEMNON U 106.
16.03.1941 CHILEAN REEFER * GNEISENAU (German warship).
21.04.1941 CALCHAS U 107.
07.05.1941 IXION U 94.
29.12.1941 TANTALUS Japanese aircraft.
11.01.1942 CYCLOPS U 123.
11.02.1942 TALTHYBIUS Japanese aircraft.
03.03.1942 HELENUS U 68.
05.04.1942 HECTOR Japanese aircraft.
06.04.1942 DARDANUS Japanese warship.
06.04.1942 AUTOLYCUS Japanese warship.
10.04.1942 ULYSSES U 160.
03.05.1942 LAERTES U 564.
17.05.1942 PEISANDER U 135 or U 653.
26.05.1942 POLYPHEMUS U 578.
28.05.1942 MENTOR U 106 or U 102.
10.08.1942 MEDON GIULIUNI (Italian submarine).
12.08.1942 DEUCALION German aircraft torpedo.
05.09.1942 MYRMIDON U 506.
11.10.1942 AGAPENOR U 87.
27.10.1942 STENTOR U boat.
01.11.1942 MENDOZA * U 178.
07.11.1942 POLYDORUS U 176.
13.11.1942 MARON U 431.
11.12.1942 PIERRE LOTI * Stranding.
28.12.1942 VILLE DE ROUEN * U boat.
24.01.1943 VILLE DE TAMATAVE * Weather.
03.02.1943 RHEXENOR U 217.
05.05.1943 DOLIUS U boat.
14.05.1943 CENTAUR I.177. (Japanese sub).
19.12.1943 PHEMIUS U 515.
16.01.1944 PERSEUS I 165. (Japanese sub).
03.03.1944 FORT MACLEOD * U 183.
24.07.1944 SAMNEVA * U 309.
16.08.1944 TROILUS U 859.
1941 - 1945 AEOLUS, POSEIDON, APELIOTIS small craft, lost in Far Eastern waters on dates and to causes unknown whilst under Japanese control.


Vessels Attacked But Not Lost.

Date Vessel How / Where attacked *= Managed vessels.

03.02.1940 LAERTES Mine explosion, English Channel.
21.12.1940 DEUCALION Aircraft bombing, at Liverpool.
22.12.1940 DEUCALION Aircraft bombing, at Liverpool.
13.03.1941 MYRMIDON Mine explosion, at Liverpool.
24.04.1941 DOLIUS Aircraft bombing and gunfire 56.35N. 02.11W.
04.05.1941 TALTHYBIUS Aircraft bombing, at Liverpool.
08.05.1941 TALTHYBIUS Aircraft bombing, at Liverpool.
04.10.1943 SAMITE * Aircraft bombing, 36.42N., 01.17E.
11.02.1944 ASPHALION Submarine torpedo, (missed),17.28N., 83.32E.
20.04.1944 SAMITE * Aircraft torpedo, (hit), 37.62N., 03.41W.
24.07.1944 SAMNEVA * Submarine torpedo, (missed) 50.14N., 00.47W.
30.07.1944 ASCANIUS Submarine torpedo, (missed) 50.15N., 00.48W.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 7th October 2010, 11:05
The Dog The Dog is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 74
Blue Funnel Losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Aeneas, Agapenor, Anchises, Autolycus, Automedon, Breconshire, Calchas, Centaur, Clytoneus, Cyclops, Dardenus, Deucalion, Dolius, Eumaeus, Eurylochus, Eurymedon, Glenorchy, Glenshiel, Hector, Helenus, Ixion, Laertes, Maron, Medon, Memnon, Mentor, Meriones, Myrmidon, Patroclus, Peisander, Perseus, Phemius, Polydorus, Polyphemus, Protesilaus,Pyrrhus, Rhexenor, Stentor, Talthybius, Tantalus, Teiresias, Titan, Troilus, Ulysses.
Also the managed ships Chilean Reefer, Empire Reefer, Fort MacLeod, Mendoza, Pierre Loti, Samneva, Ville de Rouen and Ville de Tamatave.

That little list gives pause for thought doesn't it.....
Cisco, great,many thanks for so prompt a reply. Can you help further. which of these ships was lost before Operation Torch in November 1942 and what Blue Funnel ships were at Operation Torch the invasion of North Africa. Woof.

Last edited by The Dog; 7th October 2010 at 11:12.. Reason: More information. have just seen Bill H's list of Blues lost.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 7th October 2010, 11:15
The Dog The Dog is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Summary Of War Losses.
Excluding the small vessels captured by Japan and recovered post war.

Date Name Cause * = Managed vessels.

21.01.1940 PROTESILAUS Mine.
17.02.1940 PYRRHUS U 37.
17.06.1940 TEIRESIAS German aircraft bombing.
02.07.1940 AENEAS German aircraft bombing.
04.09.1940 TITAN U 28.
25.09.1940 EURYMEDON U 29.
04.11.1940 PATROCLUS U 99.
11.11.1940 AUTOMEDON ATLANTIS (German raider).
08.01.1941 CLYTONEUS German aircraft bombing.
14.01.1941 EUMAEUS COMANDANTE CAPPELLINI (It.Sub.)
24.01.1941 MERIONES Stranding / German aircraft.
29.01.1941 EURYLOCHUS KORMORAN (German raider).
28.02.1941 ANCHISES German aircraft bombing.
11.03.1941 MEMNON U 106.
16.03.1941 CHILEAN REEFER * GNEISENAU (German warship).
21.04.1941 CALCHAS U 107.
07.05.1941 IXION U 94.
29.12.1941 TANTALUS Japanese aircraft.
11.01.1942 CYCLOPS U 123.
11.02.1942 TALTHYBIUS Japanese aircraft.
03.03.1942 HELENUS U 68.
05.04.1942 HECTOR Japanese aircraft.
06.04.1942 DARDANUS Japanese warship.
06.04.1942 AUTOLYCUS Japanese warship.
10.04.1942 ULYSSES U 160.
03.05.1942 LAERTES U 564.
17.05.1942 PEISANDER U 135 or U 653.
26.05.1942 POLYPHEMUS U 578.
28.05.1942 MENTOR U 106 or U 102.
10.08.1942 MEDON GIULIUNI (Italian submarine).
12.08.1942 DEUCALION German aircraft torpedo.
05.09.1942 MYRMIDON U 506.
11.10.1942 AGAPENOR U 87.
27.10.1942 STENTOR U boat.
01.11.1942 MENDOZA * U 178.
07.11.1942 POLYDORUS U 176.
13.11.1942 MARON U 431.
11.12.1942 PIERRE LOTI * Stranding.
28.12.1942 VILLE DE ROUEN * U boat.
24.01.1943 VILLE DE TAMATAVE * Weather.
03.02.1943 RHEXENOR U 217.
05.05.1943 DOLIUS U boat.
14.05.1943 CENTAUR I.177. (Japanese sub).
19.12.1943 PHEMIUS U 515.
16.01.1944 PERSEUS I 165. (Japanese sub).
03.03.1944 FORT MACLEOD * U 183.
24.07.1944 SAMNEVA * U 309.
16.08.1944 TROILUS U 859.
1941 - 1945 AEOLUS, POSEIDON, APELIOTIS small craft, lost in Far Eastern waters on dates and to causes unknown whilst under Japanese control.


Vessels Attacked But Not Lost.

Date Vessel How / Where attacked *= Managed vessels.

03.02.1940 LAERTES Mine explosion, English Channel.
21.12.1940 DEUCALION Aircraft bombing, at Liverpool.
22.12.1940 DEUCALION Aircraft bombing, at Liverpool.
13.03.1941 MYRMIDON Mine explosion, at Liverpool.
24.04.1941 DOLIUS Aircraft bombing and gunfire 56.35N. 02.11W.
04.05.1941 TALTHYBIUS Aircraft bombing, at Liverpool.
08.05.1941 TALTHYBIUS Aircraft bombing, at Liverpool.
04.10.1943 SAMITE * Aircraft bombing, 36.42N., 01.17E.
11.02.1944 ASPHALION Submarine torpedo, (missed),17.28N., 83.32E.
20.04.1944 SAMITE * Aircraft torpedo, (hit), 37.62N., 03.41W.
24.07.1944 SAMNEVA * Submarine torpedo, (missed) 50.14N., 00.47W.
30.07.1944 ASCANIUS Submarine torpedo, (missed) 50.15N., 00.48W.
Thanks Bill H a great help. Woof.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 7th October 2010, 11:21
Cisco's Avatar
Cisco Cisco is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
My location
Posts: 6,492
Quick answer.... Maron was sunk in the western med on 13/11/42 by U431... all other BF losses in the med were pre torch... back in a mo
__________________
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 7th October 2010, 11:26
Cisco's Avatar
Cisco Cisco is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
My location
Posts: 6,492
From 'a merchant fleet in war'... by Capt Roskill...
BF involved in Torch were... Alcinous, Theseus and Lycaon in slow convoys for the eastern sector of the Oran landings.... Maron and Glenfinlas for eastern sectors of the Algiers landings and Glengyle as a LSI for the Oran landings
__________________
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 7th October 2010, 11:42
The Dog The Dog is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 74
yys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
From 'a merchant fleet in war'... by Capt Roskill...
BF involved in Torch were... Alcinous, Theseus and Lycaon in slow convoys for the eastern sector of the Oran landings.... Maron and Glenfinlas for eastern sectors of the Algiers landings and Glengyle as a LSI for the Oran landings
Marvellous Cisco. Nostalgia is everything it ever was. Enquiries are for a Lady who's father was badly injured whilst ashore in Algiers when an ammunition dump exploded. He had been sunk in a Blue Funnel ship previously but she thinks it was named Corbis but they had no name like that. Years later when recovered he went back to sea in Clan Line as Chief Steward. Pre war he was steward in Ulysses. Woof
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 7th October 2010, 12:08
Cisco's Avatar
Cisco Cisco is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
My location
Posts: 6,492
Maybe he was on Glenfinlas... while not lost she was badly damaged under air attack while alongside at Bougie on the 11/11/42.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Frank
__________________
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 7th October 2010, 12:49
rknibbs's Avatar
rknibbs rknibbs is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1973
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 231
I see that Talthybius is listed as a loss. However, I have read in Sea Breezes August 1992 an article written by C H Milsom, RO, entitled "The Talthybius Comes Home" and goes on to say the ship had been sunk by the Japanese, raised and renamed Taruyasu Maru. The ship was renamed Empire Evenlode and sailed to Swansea arriving on 8 May 1949. The article describes that voyage and would be of particular interest to radio officers.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 7th October 2010, 15:21
BillH BillH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknibbs View Post
I see that Talthybius is listed as a loss. However, I have read in Sea Breezes August 1992 an article written by C H Milsom, RO, entitled "The Talthybius Comes Home" and goes on to say the ship had been sunk by the Japanese, raised and renamed Taruyasu Maru. The ship was renamed Empire Evenlode and sailed to Swansea arriving on 8 May 1949. The article describes that voyage and would be of particular interest to radio officers.
The following is extracted from my book on CD “The Blue Funnel Odyssey”


During the early days of February 1942, Singapore was suffering continual aerial bombardment whilst GORGON, PHRONTIS and TALTHYBIUS were all in port attempting to discharge. On the morning of the 3rd, TALTHYBIUS was set ablaze by several heavy bombs. Her Chinese crew deserted “en bloc” leaving the British crew to tackle the blaze alone. Several salvoes of bombs exploded near the ship and her starboard side became punctured in several places. By evening the fires had been brought under control but it was reported that the influx of water through the hull was overwhelming the ships pumps with steam pressure unable to be maintained. Salvage pumps were sought ashore and one 4-ton unit was located, man-handled aboard and put to work. A second was secured next day as a team of Royal Navy divers inspected and attempted to plug the hull. However the ship was unable to be made seaworthy. The Admiral in Charge gave the order to abandon her when the Japanese gained a foothold on the island. The order was also given for other vessels including GORGON and PHRONTIS to put to sea. On 12th February 1942, TALTHYBIUS was reluctantly abandoned. She was reported in an upright position although sitting on the bottom when her crew departed on board the small naval auxiliary HMS PING WO. As expected TALTHYBIUS was seized and subsequently salvaged by the Japanese who renamed her TURUYASU MARU. Of the many “Blue Funnel” vessels seized in Far Eastern waters she was the only one of the long haul units, the remainder being all small service craft, tugs, lighters and launches etc.


As far as Blue Funnel were concerned she was lost as although was recovered it was in the ownership of MoWT and Blue Funnel (Holt) only managed her homeward as EMPIRE EVENLODE


182. TALTHYBIUS (1) (1912 - 1942) Bellerophon class steel steamship.
O.N. 131411. 10,224g. 6,522n. 506.0 x 60.3 x 39.5 feet.
Two T.3-cyl. (23", 38½" & 65" x 48") engines (set No. 500), made by the shipbuilder, driving twin propeller shafts. 5,700 IHP. 13½ kts.
19.8.1910: Ordered from Scotts' Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd., Greenock (Yard No. 436) for the Ocean Steamship Company Ltd.
20.9.1910: Keel laid.
7.11.1911: Launched by Mrs Cedric Sinclair Scott.
28.12.1911: Completed at a cost of £115,361.
24.1.1912: Delivered.
3.2.1942: Bombed by Japanese aircraft at Singapore, set on fire and moved to the Empire Dock.
7.2.1942: Fire had been brought under control but vessel was declared unseaworthy.
12.2.1942: Scuttled and abandoned, subsequently being raised by Japanese forces, and renamed TARUYASO MARU.
3.6.1945: Exploded a mine off Sado Island, sank and was abandoned.
Subsequently salved, placed under the Ministry of War Transport control repaired and renamed EMPIRE EVENLODE.
1948: Alfred Holt & Company, appointed as managers.
8.1949: Sold to the British Iron & Steel Corporation and allocated to T. W. Ward Ltd., Sheffield for demolition at their Briton Ferry facility.
7.9.1949: Delivered.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 7th October 2010, 15:41
rknibbs's Avatar
rknibbs rknibbs is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1973
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 231
Always good to have the full story.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 7th October 2010, 16:52
BillH BillH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknibbs View Post
Always good to have the full story.
Loss of TANTALUS extracted from the same source

December 1941 saw Japan’s entry into the conflict. At the time of their rapid advance through the Colonies, several “Blue Funnel” vessels were in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. Some were on Admiralty service. TANTALUS and ULYSSES were hastily dispatched from Hong Kong in an attempt to avoid capture. TANTALUS however had to be towed away due to the fact that her machinery was dismantled and being overhauled, by the Hong Kong & Whampoa Dock Company. She had been hurriedly dry-docked for the removal of her propellers to ease the tow. All her machinery parts were loaded and stowed in the holds together with 300 tons of bunker coal for her tug, HENRY KESWICK (671g./21), owned by the Hong Kong & Whampoa Dock Company.

Shortly after their departure, Japan attacked Hong Kong whilst the duo headed for what was expected to be a safe-haven at Manila. Unfortunately the Japanese war machine had advanced more rapidly that expected so that upon their arrival, Manila was found to be under air attack. Following several days of near misses the Japanese pilots finally dealt TANTALUS a devastating blow with four bombs on 26th December 1941. At 17:40 hrs., she capsized and sank whilst burning fiercely over her entire length. Her tug was also subsequently sunk and later salvaged by the Japanese for their own use.


266. TANTALUS (2) (1923 - 1936) and (1939 - 1941) Machaon class steel motorship.
O.N. 147222. 7,775g. 4,812n. 458.3 x 58.2 x 32.6 feet.
Two, 8-cyl. 4 S.C.S. A. (740 x 1160mm) oil engines made by Akt. Burmeister & Wains Maskin-og-Skibsbyggeri, Copenhagen, driving twin propeller shafts. 5,000 BHP. 14 kts.
2.2.1923: Launched by the Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd., Dundee (Yard No. 278), for the Ocean Steamship Company Ltd.
1923: Completed.
22.2.1936: Transferred to Glen Line Ltd., (£68,940).
7.4.1936: Renamed RADNORSHIRE.
16.1.1939: Transferred to the Ocean Steamship Company Ltd., (£62,013).
26.1.1939: Renamed TANTALUS.
5.12.1941: Undergoing repairs at Hong Kong when Japan invaded and was towed out toward the Philippines.
11.12.1941: Arrived at Manila, which, at the time, was suffering from a Japanese bombardment.
25.12.1941: Moved to Bataan to avoid the daily bombing.
26.12.1941: Abandoned by crew before aircraft bombing set her ablaze whereupon she subsequently capsized.
3.1.1942: The crew was captured when Japanese forces entered Manila.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 7th October 2010, 17:07
BillH BillH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Maybe he was on Glenfinlas... while not lost she was badly damaged under air attack while alongside at Bougie on the 11/11/42.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Frank
GLENFINLAS was former BF vessel ELPENOR


GLENFINLAS sailed from the Clyde, under command of Captain Elder, early in November 1942, as a member of a slow assault convoy bound to Algiers in Operation Torch. The convoy Commodore was also onboard. From Algiers she proceeded to Bougie Harbour as part of a much larger convoy, arriving 06:30hrs. on the 11th, under vicious air attacks. She entered the port during the afternoon and berthed on Station Wharf to unload her cargo of vehicles, ammunition, petrol and explosives. The French steamer ALSINA (8,404g./ 21) was placed alongside her shortly afterwards. During unloading operations, the port was continually suffering low level air attacks. In one such attack GLENFINLAS's gunners downed a Junkers JU88 bomber. Early afternoon on the 13th a JU88 dived through the hail of fire and dropped 6 bombs from around 400 feet. 3 hit GLENFINLAS in the way of No.1 and 2 holds which flooded. With the sudden influx of water she rolled heavily to port before righting herself and settling forward. The German plane was either struck by the anti-aircraft fire or the pilot, being keen for a kill, misjudged his descent as he was forced to bale out whilst his plane crashed nearby. ALSINA was also hit and set ablaze with the wind fanning the flames onto GLENFINLAS. Concern increased when it was noticed that the flames were rapidly approaching No.5 and 6 holds which contained explosives. The anti-aircraft ammunition was quickly cleared off the decks and the order given to flood the holds. Unfortunately the sea-ducts had been damaged by the bombing so it was a case of manning fire hoses on deck with assistance from the local fire brigade. Fortunately there was a timely wind change which kept the flames off GLENFINLAS until extinguished. The Port Controller ordered Captain Elder to abandon his command, take 50% of his crew and man the steamer STANHILL, whose master was missing. The remaining 50% were dispatched to man OCEAN VOLGA and both vessels sailed for Gibraltar. Captain Elder did not go without registering the strongest of protests. He insisted that his ship, still in steam, was within a few hours of completing discharge, and could then be moved off the berth and form part of the port defences. Needless to say he was overruled.

220. ELPENOR (1) (1917 - 1935) Lycaon class steel steamship.
O.N. 137536. 7,479g. 4,720n. 455.3 x 56.3 x 32.5 feet.
T.3-cyl. (31", 51½" & 86" x 60") engine made by the North Eastern Marine Engineering Company, Newcastle. 5,500 IHP. 14 kts.
14.9.1916: Launched by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Company Ltd., Newcastle (Yard No. 471) for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Company Ltd.
1.1917: Completed.
2.1917: Commenced first voyage under the Liner Requisition Scheme, from Tyneside to Baltimore via the Mediterranean.
12.1.1919 until 18.1.1919: Expeditionary Force transport trooping between Liverpool and Dublin.
27.8.1935: Transferred to Glen Line Ltd., London, (£22,485).
9.10.1935: Renamed GLENFINLAS.
6.4.1941: Survived an aircraft bomb attack in the North Sea off Harwich in a position 52.01N., 01.47E.
12.11.1942: Damaged by aircraft bombing at Bougie Harbour, during "Operation Torch" in North Africa.
13.11.1942: Allowed to sink to prevent an explosion in her aviation fuel cargo.
3.1943: Raised and moved to shallow waters where she settled on the bottom.
7.1943: Re-raised, patched and taken to Oran for temporary repair thence to Gibraltar.
11.10.1943: Arrived at Sunderland for permanent repairs.
21.1.1947: Transferred to the China Mutual Steam Navigation Company Ltd., (£11,750).
12.4.1947: Renamed ELPENOR.
4.8.1950: Transferred to Glen Line Ltd., London, (£9,366).
12.8.1950: Renamed GLENFINLAS.
1952: Sold to the British Iron & Steel Corporation (Salvage) Ltd., (£97,000) and allocated to Hughes Bolckow Ltd., for demolition at Blyth.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 7th October 2010, 17:33
BillH BillH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
yys

Marvellous Cisco. Nostalgia is everything it ever was. Enquiries are for a Lady who's father was badly injured whilst ashore in Algiers when an ammunition dump exploded. He had been sunk in a Blue Funnel ship previously but she thinks it was named Corbis but they had no name like that. Years later when recovered he went back to sea in Clan Line as Chief Steward. Pre war he was steward in Ulysses. Woof
Maybe irrelevant but there was in existence around that time a tanker CORBIS (8132g/31) owned by Anglo-Saxon Petroleum (Shell) and she was sunk by torpedo 18.4.1943 at 35.56S 34.03E with the loss of 50 lives.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 7th October 2010, 21:15
The Dog The Dog is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN PRUDEN View Post
At the MN remembrance day LIVERPOOL i struck up a conversation with an old salt he was in his 90s and his mate. The blue funnel boat he was on was bombed and sunk he lost some shipmates but with a dry smile on his face he said{that was a bad day that i lost a new suit on that ship} then he laid a wreath of flowers at the cenotaph at the pierhead. maybe THE DOG could put a name to the gentleman and the BF boat i would love to meet him again . john
If it was the first wreath to be laid it was Lennie Sidebotham chairman of Salford MNA, if not I have to make more enquiries. Woof.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 7th October 2010, 21:29
Thats another Story Thats another Story is offline
user
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,615
thanks pat seems in the old days you could take an old suit to the china coast they would unpick it and turn the material to the good side and re stitch it. i sent the pics to Stan meyers {well my son did i still can't get my head{whats left of it} around posting pics on the site. john
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 8th October 2010, 07:39
makko's Avatar
makko makko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
My location
Posts: 6,208
My Grandfather was on Patroclus when she was sunk. He was subsequently on a Harrison boat, sunk at Crete (bombed and raised) marched through Italy and saw out WW2 as a guest at Milag Nord.
Rgds.
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 8th October 2010, 14:43
The Dog The Dog is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 74
Blue Funnel losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
My Grandfather was on Patroclus when she was sunk. He was subsequently on a Harrison boat, sunk at Crete (bombed and raised) marched through Italy and saw out WW2 as a guest at Milag Nord.
Rgds.
Dave
SS Dalesman and Logitian were both sunk during the battle of Crete. Two members of the LRMS spent the rest of the war in Milag Nord.
Timmy McCoy Galley Boy died 12 months ago and Walter Short last month.

Harrisons had another ship in the battle of Crete. Deck boy later Captain, Harry Traynor, spent his fifteenth birthday passing up ammunition to the four inch gun on her.

Odd how all the warships taking part are listed the written histories of sea battles and their losses noted. Usually all the MN gets is X number of ships were sunk. Woof.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 9th October 2010, 07:21
makko's Avatar
makko makko is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
My location
Posts: 6,208
Doggy,
It was the DALESMAN. Subsequently corroborated and PoW # confirmed.
Rgds.
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 9th October 2010, 07:50
Landi's Avatar
Landi Landi is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 2017
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Maybe irrelevant but there was in existence around that time a tanker CORBIS (8132g/31) owned by Anglo-Saxon Petroleum (Shell) and she was sunk by torpedo 18.4.1943 at 35.56S 34.03E with the loss of 50 lives.

Bill
More details for the Corbis, anyone looking for details, if rather macabre, of any ships sunk by U boats this site contains a lot of information.


http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?16749

Ian
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12th October 2010, 23:50
IAN M's Avatar
IAN M IAN M is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 697
See my article 'ALFRED HOLT AND RELEVANT CONVOY LOSSES IN WORLD WAR II' published in the September and October, 2009, issues of Nautical Magazine.

Re the Samite - (Glider) Bombed and later (aerial) torpedoed, but not sunk. I was her 3rd Sparks, and her story is told in my book 'LIFE ABOARD A WARTIME LIBERTY SHIP', to be released by Amberley Publishing at the end of this month.
__________________
IAN M MALCOLM
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13th October 2010, 13:06
Trident Trident is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
My location
Posts: 256
Will look out for it Ian.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Blue Flue Mates EBenarty Blue Funnel Line 305 26th November 2019 20:43
MV Mano (ex-Menelaus Blue-Flue) mountainmanUK Elder Dempster 2 21st November 2016 14:22
Blue Flue Shore Gang Phil Saul Blue Funnel Line 20 25th October 2008 21:34
ship losses down dom News and Views from the Shipping World 3 10th March 2007 11:55



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.