Where Are These Ex Radio Officers Now?? - Ships Nostalgia
14:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Where Are These Ex Radio Officers Now??

User Tag List

Old 15th July 2010, 23:00

Where Are These Ex Radio Officers Now??

Hello Everyone
Where are these ex Radio Officers now please.???
All ex Riversdale Tech College Liverpool R/0 students 1965/1967 era.
Some of the names I can recall are as follows:-
Geoff Arnold, Geoff Bell, Robby Owens,
Ray Numney, Ronny Quinn, Geoff Cruise, John Wright, Phil Atherton,
Phil Chesters, Colin Reynolds, Jimmy Singleton, Andre Le Fond,
Mike Roseblade (Rosie) Martin Hill, Tommy Stub, David Vale, Mike Goulbourne.
There were a lot more who I cannot remember at present so if you were there in that era please get in touch please.
If we find enough members we may even consider a reunion meeting being set up, but suspect all will be scattered far and wide around the world.
many thanks.73's de ftf
Old 15th July 2010, 23:51
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

I had a good R/O shipmate on the Olivebank in 1969 his was name Peter(PC Smith)he was from Liverpool so maybe you met him?I know he went to Aussie later,just a long shot.
JD
Old 16th July 2010, 18:36

Hyer john
Sorry never heard of a PC Smith at all, he may have been in the class a year or so ahead of us. Many thanks anyway john. cheers ftf
Old 17th July 2010, 07:15

FTF
I left Riversdale in 1967, the only other ex Riversdale R/O I met with was Simon Tudor-Jones who went silent key late last year

Regards
Old 17th July 2010, 21:55

I was at Riversdale from Sep 1963 to Oct 1965 and should eventually be able to supply several names from that period (buried in old emails that will need to be dug out and re-read). I was biding my time before posting this but the sad news about Simon Tudor-Jones has spurred me to action.

Knowing that the building would soon be demolished in favour of a housing estate, I visited the site a few years ago and took a couple of photos. By then it was derelict and rather a sad sight, but nevertheless it was good to have the mementoes of a happy time of my life.

I am glad to say that I was able to correspond briefly with our former Head of the Radio Dept, Geoff Brown, just before he died in the Isle of Man.

Ray Livingston
Old 17th July 2010, 23:48

Hyer Ray L.
Thanks For Qso, Yes It Was Sad To Hear Of Simon Tudor-jones's Death, Remember Him From Riversdale, He Was In A Class A Year Ahead Of Us A Nice Chap And Surely Will Be Sadly Missed By All. (rip)
Yes Also Remember Geoff Brown Head Of Dept, Also Saw Him At A Meeting A Year Or So Before His Death (rip) He Was Very Strict But Also Very Fair And Would Stand No Messing From The Lads! Shame The Riversdale Site Is No More And Is Now A Housing Developement. Happy Times There, Lots Of Good Memories. Think We Started In April 65 Just After Easter After Transferring From Rumford Street College When It Closed Down.cheers Ray. Regards Ftf
Old 18th July 2010, 11:41
King Ratt

My location
For you Riversdale folk. here is Simon T-J taken a few years ago.
http://www.rfaaplymouth.org/coppermi...?album=3&pos=4
Old 18th July 2010, 19:54

Hello King Ratt
Thanks for the picture of Simon t-j (rip), never knew him with a beard but can still recognise him after all these years. He was a fresh faced young junior R/O way back then, remember bumping into him when he was walking up town to the Marconi depot in Pall Mall Liverpool in his uniform he was junior on Empress of Canada at the time and she was berthed at the then landing stage prior to sailing for Montreal. Probably going looking for a sub from GTZM. cheers ftf
Old 18th July 2010, 21:10
King Ratt

My location
For FTF. Quite a few of my contemporaries are now Silent Keys, Simon having gone QRT about 2 years ago. I atttended the funeral as did many of his RFA friends. STJ was the life and soul of any gathering and a loss to many. He was deeply involved with his local Sea Cadet Unit and his local church. Survived by his widow and sons in the Preston area.
Attached URL will show STJ right at the front bottom row- man with a beer and a purple tie. http://www.rfaaplymouth.org/coppermi...album=3&pos=38

Rab T
Old 20th July 2010, 11:46

King Ratt
Many thanks for that picture also---recognised S T-J right away! very sad but it is one journey we all will make at one time or another---who knows when or why.
cheers ftf
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:39

Well, I'm still here!

Hi Guys.
Nice to see all those names on the list. I've been racking my memory to put faces to those names but it's such a long time ago I'm afraid I can't.
I left Riversdale in 1967, I was only 17 years old at the time, after getting my PMG II and Radar. I joined B & C and stayed with them for 3 years before going freelance and joining the Greeks. I left the sea in 1986 and settled down in Greece. My home is now in Athens
but I'm currently working for NATO in Naples, Italy.
Me and another Brit. look after 25 H/F TXs, 10KW each! (bit of a jump from the Oceanspan VII)!!
I didn't know STJ, but may he RIP.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to keep in touch.

73's
David Vale
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:29

SPARX
Hyer david
Yes I do remember you from Riversdale, thought I was not going to get any replies at all! Great to hear you ok and settled down in Athens. Will send you a PM. cheers 73's de ftf
Old 28th January 2014, 13:14

Hi chaps,

Mike Roseblade (Rosie) just discovered your thread. I was at Riversdale Tech during the mid 1960s and left after getting PMG 2nd and Radar Maint. certs.

Joined Marconi Liverpool Office and sailed on m.v. Orcoma (Pacific Steam Navigation Co.) during mid 1967 as apprentice R.O. Left after one trip as ship could not sail due to dockers strike in Liverpool - would you believe it !! Posted then onto ss. Northern Star where I spent several good years transporting emigrants to Australia/N.Z. on the assisted 10 packages available in those days. When this initiative finished the ship then entered into Med. cruises and Scandinavian cruises. Left the Northern Star and sailed my last trip on ss Halcyon the Great (Court Line flagship and supertanker.) Did one trip and then left to get married to a girl from Birmingham. Still married 40 years on and now live just outside Lichfield, Staffs.

Can't remember many of classmates from Riversdale but Tommy Stubbs comes to mind as does a Colin Murphy who was a bit older than us young reprobates. Played for Riversdale Tech footie team for a short while and remember pints of Double Diamond in the Aigburth Hotel at the top of the road overlooking the bowling green they had at the back of the pub - happy days !!

What a great life it was - travelling round the world, having bags of fun, drink and parties on the passenger ships with pretty young things - all this and getting paid for it as well - halcyon days !!!
Old 31st January 2014, 09:39

We certainly had a Pete Smith at GKA. He's still about and I see him from time to time usually working an amateur radio station. I always tell him that its time he learnt some morse!. I have a feeling he worked for the Diplomatic Wireless Service at some stage. Nice guy who drives round in a vintage Jag. My friend
Charlie Ollis was R/O on the Olivebank in the 60's as well.
rgds
Graham Powell ( ex GKA)
Old 31st January 2014, 20:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

Digressing slightly, I finished at Riversdale in '63 having stayed on for the 1st (employment was very slow then so 1st was recommended) My first ship as junior was the Naess Sovereign/GHFJ with AEI. After that Mr Weatherhead suggested a Radar Ticket, so back to Riversdale. Whilst waiting fir the course to start it was a few nauseous trips on the Marchon Trader/GWTQ. Did anyone else start out on these two ships ?

David
+
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:18
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddythefrog View Post
Hello Everyone
There were a lot more who I cannot remember at present so if you were there in that era please get in touch please.
If we find enough members we may even consider a reunion meeting being set up, but suspect all will be scattered far and wide around the world.
many thanks.73's de ftf

Hi FTF,
We have been in contact before on Riversdale forum, I was with STJ I think the year ahead of you. I went to Bibby Line, Richard Walton was also in my year, he ended up working for Marconi shore side and also the Post office (Wireless interference) not sure what he is doing now. Jimmy Loughlan seems to ring a bell as well. We also had a guy called Appleby who dropped out before the end of the course. Wish I could remember more

Best Wishes

Alan Melia
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddythefrog View Post
Hello Everyone
many thanks.73's de ftf

Hi FTF,
We have been in contact before on Riversdale forum, I was with STJ I think the year ahead of you. I went to Bibby Line, Richard Walton was also in my year, he ended up working for Marconi shore side and also the Post office (Wireless interference) not sure what he is doing now. Jimmy Loughlan seems to ring a bell as well. We also had a guy called Appleby who dropped out before the end of the course. Wish I could remember more

Best Wishes

Alan Melia
Old 4th February 2014, 20:44
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1970

Hi Alan
Just visited the site we were on the Warwickshire in 1969 Alan Hudson Capt. David Clayton C/O and Bill Gresham chief Eng. I've been trying to look at your photo's no luck as yet.

Best wishes

Paul White
Old 5th February 2014, 12:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullwhite View Post
Hi Alan
Just visited the site we were on the Warwickshire in 1969 Alan Hudson Capt. David Clayton C/O and Bill Gresham chief Eng. I've been trying to look at your photo's no luck as yet.

Best wishes

Paul White
Paul, Nice to hear from you.
Haven't posted any pictures yet so no surprise you can't find them.
Can you remember any of the other guys on that trip?

There is a Bibby Line thread inside "Other shipping companies". It is worth a look as you may know qite a lot of the guys on there.

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 8th March 2014, 05:15
Active: 1967 - 1977

Thumbs up

Hi, Peter Arnold here, just read the thread, better late than never.

I was in the class of 65-67.
Several other names I recall. Martin Sloan,Ian Ellis,Ivor Thomas, Brendan Kenny,Mike Feagan, Eric Fair.

I met Martin Sloan within a year of leaving Riversdale. We were on the Amazon River sailing with Booth Line. Brendan Kenny often, he is working for KH.

I remember the dinner time footy kick a rounds. I was hopeless.
Remember Simon Tudor , believe he was the Union Rep.

Remember the Aigburth Arms, only ever had a pint of shandy. Made up for it since.

Life is good, regards to all.
Old 8th March 2014, 06:04
Active: 1953 - 1961

Kevin Street,Dublin 1951 - 1953

Hello to All, This is my first venture "on the air" so please excuse. Graduated June 1953 from Kevin Street,Dublin. I sailed Clan and City Line for Marconi then to Saguenay Terminals,Montreal. Finally "Princess Sophie"/SWIE and left her at Long Beach,Ca. in 1961. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area since then and loving it!. Any Kevin Street R/O's around ant more.? Cheers, Liam Moran
Old 8th March 2014, 12:38
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Freddie,
You forgot John Saphier and Eddie Murphy
Old 14th March 2014, 03:45
Active: 1965 - 1975

I was at Riversdale round that era. I remember 52 odd people starting the 2 year course and 6 passed, subsequently a further number passed at second go. Names I don't recognise as yet. I left MN from Blue Flue Centaur in Australia and stayed since. West Africa, Hong Kong run and US East Coast amongst voyages.
Old 11th April 2014, 22:47

Mike Roseblade (ROSIE) and Peter Arnold, I have sent you both a private message, hope you see them!
Best wishes freddythefrog
Old 24th April 2014, 09:05

Riversdale tech.

Hello to all those radio officers who passed through the college.
I found this forum whilst I was researching one of my old ships and found the string most interesting , I have come to the conclusion that I must be a bit of an antique these days.
I passed through Riversdale college in what I think was one of the first intakes, and gained my PMG 2nd in October 1955 , my first ship was the Hornby Grange in November 1955.
My younger brother also went through Riversdale.
I remember Mr Brown and Andrews very well and the long hours we spent taking down the Tass news that used to be sent out at about 20wpm.
Riverside was a happy place until some ........ decided that all students should take part in PE sessions, Many excuses thought up by students for being late on PE mornings must have kept Mr Brown and Andrews in stiches.
The only student that I remember was a Mr Wang from Liverpool who was brilliant but just could not read morse at all
I joined IMR in Liverpool and served on 5 of their ships. then went freelance delivered a small coaster, Lieth to New Zealand, and then over to AWA in Australia. I have lived in Tasmania since 1970.

I could have worked a few of you when I was Radio officer on the pilot ship for port Melbourne, Wyuna VKVS.
Being in my 80s, I think the early graduates must be getting thin on the ground these days.