Ships Nostalgia banner

Can you date the picture

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Billieboy 
#1 ·
Can you date this painting from these ships and barges and where do you think the port is, it has a Sig A Broekman, so I am thinking Rotterdam or Amsterdam ?

Terry

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks post war to me, it's NOT Rotterdam, I've never seen a buoy like that in Rotterdam. The ships are all steam ships, or their cargo gear is all steam, as the smoke is from a boiler. The sailing barge could be a thames barge/lighter.

#7 ·
harbour painting

Hallo The painting signed by a.broekman was NOT painted by himself. A.broekman was a sales man of art.The creator was h schallenberg born Delft 1883 and sometimes he produced unsigned art during the crisis [1929-1939] I think the object is located at the MAASHAVEN rotterdam because this was the main grain port ,and only 10 k.m from DELFT. In the MAASHAVEN are DUCKDALVEN [dolphins], and the barges are typical Dutch.Remerber this is a painting and not a photo,so the painter could make some impressions by his own. JOHAN

#8 ·
Hallo The painting signed by a.broekman was NOT painted by himself. A.broekman was a sales man of art.The creator was h schallenberg born Delft 1883 and sometimes he produced unsigned art during the crisis [1929-1939] I think the object is located at the MAASHAVEN rotterdam because this was the main grain port ,and only 10 k.m from DELFT. In the MAASHAVEN are DUCKDALVEN [dolphins], and the barges are typical Dutch.Remerber this is a painting and not a photo,so the painter could make some impressions by his own. JOHAN
Could be Maashaven, that's at the bottom(south) end of the canal Delft Rotterdam, which terminates in Delfshaven and is a short seagull flight to the Maashaven. 1929-39 would be around the right date, as the port surroundings were drastically changed during and after WWII. I therefore rescind my earlier comment that it was not Rotterdam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.