Barquentine "New Endeavour" - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
02:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Barquentine "New Endeavour"

User Tag List

Old 16th September 2015, 09:43

I joined the New Endeavour in Sydney in 1968 when it was on it's way north after having been in Melbourne during the Moomba celebrations. We had a heap of sea cadets on board and stopped at Yeppoon to join in the centenary celebrations, a great time was had by all that night at the Ball.
Old 4th January 2016, 00:34

NEW ENDEAVOUR is now on Facebook!!!!!!!

If you have had any connection with the old girl or know of someone who has, I have created a page on facebook, where you may see old photos and comments from others and where you may also leave your mark for others to see.

Any photos would be welcome and there must be thousands of them out there!!!!

Just type into facebook ...... Barquentine "New Endeavour"

Cheers

Mike H
Old 4th January 2016, 15:01

Thanks for the heads-up and welcome aboard SN, Mike.
I'll have a look.

Personally, I'd never crewed aboard her but I've many fond memories of that lovely lady.

Cheers,
Pete.
Old 7th June 2016, 23:33

Here is another old "Endeavourite". I was the mate at the time that Richard Miller and Captain Rex were part of the crew. If you guys could get in touch it would be greatly appreciated. And Richard if you send me your bank details I will send you the price of a pint for saying such nice things about me in post 4.
Bob H
Old 20th October 2016, 07:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
HI Everyone, my name is Charles Nicholls I was a crew member on New Endeavour back in 1981 ..
I used to do a sleeping watch one night a week and used to go to work after that as I worked in the City back then ..ASTA also ran a midshipmans course back then where we learnt all about the ins and outs of her ..Later I worked behind the bar with a friend I made there called Bernie Hort - who also became one of the engineers ..back when Adrian was chief Engineer ..
I feel nostagic whenever Im in Darling Harbour ( LIke today for Australia Day) and cant believe how much its changed - THe overpass wasnt finished then - just the main supports - and work had stopped on it for ages - We were moored at a wharf there which we shared with an old minesweeper ..
A movie was made back in that year too called ' The Pirate Movie' which featured 'New Endeavour' and had a couple of young well known American actors ..The ship was rigged up with Dummy cannons and had body builder extras such as Paul Graham ..

Ive got a booklet here called ' The story of the Australian Sail TRaining Association ..by Gordon Kirby -
Bye for now ..Charles
Hi Charles, I was on board the New Endeavour in 1968 when she sailed up to Mackay from Melbourne where she was for Moomba. Captain was Michael Kitchenside and 'Tiger' Timbs was mate? Do you know if any of the ship's logs are documented somewhere? or crew lists? I would like to be able to give documented proof to my grand children that their doddery old granny did actually run away to see at the age of 18. Finding this site has brought back some wonderful memories. Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 02:02

It is wonderful to find this New Endeavor site. I was on New Endeavor during and after the Fauna years. Somebody asked who else was crew at that time Mike Kichenside was skipper, his infant daughter Miranda also lived aboard. Tiger Timbs was Mate until he left on the journey that took him to Eye Of The Wind. Cyril Czikovski (incorrectly spelled) was bosun and one of life's memorable characters, gentle and wise. Leslie as who was a one person stewards department and in charge of almost everything outside of sailing her (who also went on to Eye of the Wind). Pat (Nash) and Chris (Pendred) were deck crew as I was. I left her in Melbourne after she grounded while sailing with a harbor pilot aboard (a person it is hard to forgive) The accident caused significant damage and limited her certification from then on as I understand it. I left her to spend 10 years in the Antarctic on a US marine research vessel. I now live in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island in Washington State. I would love to hear from anyone from those years.
Paul Dudley Hart
Old 24th April 2020, 14:16

Good Lord - Rex?? Rex the engineer from the Bob Bruce era? Just seen your message 9 years after posting! And I have to report I have no knowledge of any of the motley crew - Robyn Love, Jim Kafka, Garf the chippy come to mind. It's only come to mind today because I wanted to write up a piece for the kids, for after I'm scuttled myself (they saw some photos).
Old 24th April 2020, 14:20

Lord, my mind's going - apparently I replied to this some years ago and clean forgot! Anyway, let me trawl the full thread and shut up for the moment.