Reardon Smith Nautical College - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
09:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Reardon Smith Nautical College

User Tag List

Old 24th September 2012, 15:36

My location
Sorry, pressed post instead of preview, add the next bit onto last post

.it`s 4 a4 pages long however and I`m not sure how to reproduce it on here
Very interesting though for those of us there about that time, if it can be done.
Old 24th September 2012, 17:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location

Richard I have sent you an email. It would be good to see the letter if you can manage to post it.
Old 24th September 2012, 19:28

My location
Will do my very best

Richard
Old 24th September 2012, 20:45

My location
Reardon Smith Christmas letter

Oh well here goes,
Its in PDF format and unfortunately the original page size appears to be (I think)legal so I have had to split each page into two,my copier is only A4,apart from the last page which is a single.
Hopefully it will be self evident

Regards

Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rsnc1010.pdf (508.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 24th September 2012, 21:03

My location
Reardon Smith College Mast

Last one for tonight,doing this makes you realise how old we are all getting.This photo was just after we had finished putting the damn thing up. The guy at the bottom,Saliba, was nearly killed when we were erecting it.He was on the first platform(I`ve forgotten the proper name)when a hoisting rope broke higher up and a block came down and hit him on the head.He was only saved from going over when somebody grabbed him by the scruff of the neck.
Happy days
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsnc1012.jpg (19.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 24th September 2012, 22:27

My location
Hi Richard

Good to hear from you. I have just finished reading the News Letter what memories that brought back particularly having been a participant in most of the activities mentioned. Thank you for posting it. It was also good to remember the guys that 'enjoyedŽ our time there. It is sad that the place did not last and I believe there is virtually nothing to show that it was there at all theses days.

Best Regards

Michael (Masirah)
Old 28th September 2012, 13:14

My location
OK---- Just a bit of humour,well it`s humurous now,but it wasn`t at the time!
The time being, November 1956,specifically Bonfire Night.We were told by the cadets who were there the term before, that they had been told by their predecessors who were there on Bonfire Night 1955,that the place had been attacked by the local Teddy Boys,throwing stones,clods of earth and generally being a pain.
Not again,"Not while we`re here" we thought.So--- After lights out, we crept out(all apart from a lad called Gummerson),(I wish I could remember his first name).After patrolling the grounds in the dark and being very quiet----Nothing!!!! and we all ended up sitting on the wall at the corner of Plasmawr and Fairwater roads with our legs dangling over the edge,after pushing our way through the thick Laurel and Privet bushes.The wall was only about two feet high on the inside but about five feet high on the outside,with a small stream running at the bottom followed by a low stone wall separating it from the pavement.Guess what? after a while some local talent walked by,whether by arrangement or accident I know not.
With a bit of chat by certain people and a lot of help they also ended up sitting on the wall.The road unfortunately, was quite well lit,so we were all in plain view,that is until the guy on the right hand end of the wall,the end nearest the college gate, suddenly hissed "Mr Keene" and dissapeared with a backward flip,closely followed by the rest of us,like a row of ducks at a fairground shooting gallery.
The rest of the sleepless night was spent wondering what was going to happen to us----
Duly, the next morning all those that had been out(apart from Gummerson--what was his name?)were summoned to Captain Roses` study.
Now having been there with my wife, just before the place was demolished, and having blagged our way in past the watchman,we had a look round and went to what had been Captain Roses` study.How small it seemed, and back in 1956 how we all fitted in I have no idea,must have been like sardines!
For the life of me I cannot remember the punishment we received(all apart from Gummerson that is---what was his name)
To this day I am convinced that the only reason we weren`t all given the push was because there were so many of us.
Oh I nearly forgot----Mr Keene had to help all the girls back down to the road on his own and that didn`t help our case at all!!

Can you remember all this Michael???
Old 28th September 2012, 14:05

My location
Sorry---Further to my previous post.I should have explained, for those who joined after Christmas 1956,that Mr Keene was our Divisional officer and lived in the flat in the original dorm.block.
He left at Christmas 1956 and was replaced by Mr Sleeman

Last edited by Richard C; 28th September 2012 at 14:09.. Reason: Explanation
Old 28th September 2012, 16:41

My location
Hi Richard,

I remember the talk about the previous fire works night but not what we did about it. Since we were all involved, except Gummerson that is, yes what was his first name? the project must have involved the cadet leadership and no doubt our plea in mitigation was that we were only protecting the RNSC interests and the only misdemeanor was being out of bed after lights out I suspect that we got extra drill for forms sake.

Rose's office was small and it must have been crowded with us all there and that in itself would have made it difficult for Rose and Keane to be serious and I do not recall there being any individual followup. I always felt that Rose was trying too hard to make us look like a military establishment which several of us felt was something of a joke. I don't suppose it did us much harm but it was nevertheless a tad silly. Too much P&O/BISNC with a dash of Warsash to thicken the mixture. As the say there's the Royal Navy, the Merchant Navy, but then there's P&O.

All said and done it was a good time.

Michael
Old 6th October 2012, 17:40

My location
Cadet Outfit List

Just been having a rummage and found this.
My, how prices have gone up!!!!
(From Aug 1956)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsnc_outfitlist013.jpg (154.2 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Richard C; 7th October 2012 at 15:54.. Reason: Dating the list to the year, for posterity.
Old 6th October 2012, 22:44

My location

I recall my old man thinking those prices were extortionate!
Old 6th October 2012, 23:02

My location
No only were the prices extortionate the whole outfit was when you consider that much of it was not used after we left. One could be forgiven if one thought that they were in league with the outfitters. Mind you some of the companies were as bad, on the Brockelbank list were three white dress uniforms which if I remember correctly in the three and a half years of my apprenticeship were worn twice, Christmas dinner on both occasions and then only for the meal.

Michael
Old 7th October 2012, 06:54

My location

They taught me tie a bow tie
Old 7th October 2012, 15:57

My location
Unhappy

Still got mine(it doesn`t fit anymore----suprise suprise)
Old 17th October 2012, 16:09

My location
Yes what was the point of all that. After RSNC I wore a bow tie once, Presidents night at Rotary. Never at sea.
Old 17th October 2012, 23:09
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1969

I seem to recall wearing "ice cream" suit and/or "penguin gear" (with the requisite bow tie) when it was a 3 line whip to attend dances in the passengers lounge on City of Exeter so its a good job I managed to just about remember how to tie the thing.
Old 21st October 2012, 15:39

I too studied at the Llandaff College for my 2nd's and Chiefs from '66 to 70. Wonderful cloistered hallways where we had tea out of an urn the size of a Cochran boiler. Took tech drawing in that dingy room that had French doors that opened onto the balcony where we could take a break and sit watching the summer rains pour down on the lush grass - and of course swap stories about Blue Flu' tiny cabins, Bank boats with odd wood grain upperworks and even Palm line reputed to be owned by three sisters !
Old 13th December 2012, 14:10

My location
Bunks

OK, Who remembers where they slept,perhaps the attached will help.
I can`t remember---seem to think it was towards the far end on the right, on the bottom bunk.
I know that I can remember polishing the wooden floor with that damn great heavy metal thing which I seem to think we called a 'Bumper'.All I do know that is if we had let go of it and anybody was in the way it would have taken their legs off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dorm015.jpg (22.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 5th March 2013, 12:02
Active: 1961 - 2008

Hello Pete,
If you receive this then I new your Father as I was at RSNC at the same time as your Dad and also for 2nd Mate in Cardiff. My e-mail address is
[email protected]
If you like to send me your e-mail i can give you some funny moments in Cardiff. I also know William (Bill) Burns.
Mike Wilson.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:23

Hi Richard Caunt,
I joined RSNC April 1957 and left April 1978. Most of the names you mention I recall. The Margarita was overhauled during the winter 1957 and I with Ted Sleeman renewed all the standing rigging, what a job to splice eyes with 6-7 plough steel. I was at the time JLC boats and my last term SLC Starboard Watch.
Yes I had a great time and also all my sea service which only ended 2 years ago when part time with Westminster Dreadging.
Mike Wilson.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:49

Peter Anderton,
I was at RSNC 1957/58 and you mentioned Bob Palmer. We both did our Cadet Training with South American Saintline and up for our 2nd Mates in Cardiff 1962, we lost contact. I would like to get in touch.
Mike Wilson.
Old 5th March 2013, 20:35

My location

Good to see you on here at last Mike. Bill.
Old 19th July 2013, 07:08
Department: Engineering
Active: 1976 - Present

Reardon Smith

Just discovered this forum I was at Reardon Smith college as an Engineer cadet 1976 - 1978. I have been trying to contact some of the other cadets I was there with but no luck. If anyone out was at the college at the same time I remember -

Patrick Field - RFA
George Amblin - RFA
Chris Slack - Shell
Ian Bendall - Shell
Chris Walker - Shell
Robert George - RFA

My name is Ken Edwards I was also with Shell would love to hear from anyone at the college around this time.
Old 18th August 2013, 22:11

Just discovered this site and forum. I was a CC in 1964. Photo of Margherita in Lancastrian's post (No 23, November 2009) was taken as she finished as the winner of the '64 Bristol Channel Race (Barry-Lundy-Helwick Lightship-Barry). Crew was: Officers - Capt Rose, Solesbury, Ford, Sleeman & Ball. Cadets - Woodard, Hughes, Drew, Downs, Hall, Mather, Bird, Woodward, Coombs and myself.
Old 23rd November 2014, 09:48
Active: 1973 - 2010

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I was at RSNC from '74 to '78. I went to sea with Athel Line, which morphed into Anco Tankers, then Panocean-Anco.

I live outside San Francisco now, working as a surveyor.

Richard Alty